Riviera on Code Red again

MVPinBoynton

I believe that "MVP in Boynton" is the photographer/blogger you have discovered - and greatly admired around these boards!

(I will be corrected if wrong)

Donna

You are most correct Donna. Thank you for the nice comments. The Riviera is a gorgeous ship.

Edited by MVPinBoynton

You are most correct Donna. Thank you for the nice comments. The Riviera is a gorgeous ship.

We also thank you.

We had seen some photos scattered about (thanks mostly there to Stan and Jim) but then we saw your site, and one after another amazing photos.

That really got us drooling...

After two misfires (had to cancel), we finally made it on board the Riviera for the holiday cruise (and especially fortunately, it seemed to be a "between" noro cruise; we had been worried).

Your photos were really a terrific representation of everything on board.

We expected so much, and that is exactly what we found.

We were not at all disappointed, and that's always a risk with especially high expections.

And now it's a great way to bring back memories! :)

Thank you for posting all of those!

Thanks to Boynton for those great photos of the Riviera! Looks as if it and the Marina are very similar.

Do they still have a happy hour? We havent purchased a drinks package and with our Canadian dollar so low it would be nice!

Thanks to Boynton for those great photos of the Riviera! Looks as if it and the Marina are very similar.

Do they still have a happy hour? We havent purchased a drinks package and with our Canadian dollar so low it would be nice!

They do indeed. There is one between 5:00-6:00 before dinner and one late night between 10:30-11:30. Lots of cheap drinks available.

I think it is not a question of whether you are a glass half full or empty type person. I believe that it is more difficult to stay positive for those who don't have the good fortune to cruise on a regular basis and spend a large amount of cash on a yearly or special cruise. A Code Red experience is very unpleasant. People who cruise frequently can afford to have a better outlook simply because they know they have several trips planned. Also, it is easier to have a better outlook when you've sailed regularly with O and know what the experience is normally like.

Thank you. Husband still works full time and spending a large portion of one's limited vacation time from a stressful profession under stress when you planned a winter cruise primarily to de-stress and be pampered certainly is not ideal. Then having that limited time reduced by 20% to spend it at an airport hotel rather than the long-anticipated Caribbean beach is unfortunate.

Also my prime issue was not the existence of Norovirus onboard but rather the disappearance/lack of information/leadership of officers/management on our particular cruise. However, I am moving on and looking forward to my August cruise on Azamara Quest.

Edited by CintiPam

Thank you. Husband still works full time and spending a large portion of one's limited vacation time from a stressful profession under stress when you planned a winter cruise primarily to de-stress and be pampered certainly is not ideal. Then having that limited time reduced by 20% to spend it at an airport hotel rather than the long-anticipated Caribbean beach is unfortunate.

Also my prime issue was not the existence of Norovirus onboard but rather the disappearance/lack of information/leadership of officers/management on our particular cruise. However, I am moving on and looking forward to my August cruise on Azamara Quest.

Your cruise was not a pleasant one for sure. I will say that at least on this cruise, we did get daily reports about the status of total passengers who had gotten sick, how many were still in quarantine and if there were any new cases. It was somewhat helpful. Being kept in the dark is totally unacceptable. People can adapt if they have some information on the situation.

While looking around on Cruise Critic I came across this link it's multi pages of photos of the Riviera, I am impressed and my wife is excited to board her.

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan.htm

Tonight she looks to be headed to the Virgin Islands

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:2764817/zoom:10

OMG , those menus , complete with pictures . Un freaking real !:eek::eek::eek:

Glad you enjoyed them. I am working on the current Riviera review with more food pics.

Ooo goodie....hurry...i only have 2 weeks....

Also...is the happy hour for ANY drink..ie...a manhattan for me a beer for my hubs??

Thanks

Also...is the happy hour for ANY drink..ie...a manhattan for me a beer for my hubs??

Thanks

I don't know about every drink, but they will do most

all mixed drinks including Manhattans, because I have gotten those many times. :D

Could you point out some of those specific world is ending postings? As one that was actually on that cruise I only saw people posting the truth as to what occurred.

I do agree one has to keep a positive attitude.

The "world is ending" comments are not on Board postings. They are on the recent reviews of the Riviera, which people on this board have apparently not read. Go to passenger reviews under Riviera on this Cruise critic site and scroll down. You will find graphic descriptions of what it is like to be on a Code Red cruise. There are a few glass-is-half-full reviewers that kept what you call "a positive attitude" but not many.

Edited by warburg

Your cruise was not a pleasant one for sure. I will say that at least on this cruise, we did get daily reports about the status of total passengers who had gotten sick, how many were still in quarantine and if there were any new cases. It was somewhat helpful. Being kept in the dark is totally unacceptable. People can adapt if they have some information on the situation.

Lack of communication was mine and some others biggest issue on the TA. It should't have been an issue then and certainly shoudn't have taken 3 or so more code red cruises to get it right

Not all is included, no singlemalts.

Thanks

Best news we have had today

So now we have the unenviable task of proving a negative. Did "Noro Ned" end his contract and leave the ship? Did the "contaminated water supply" get dumped and refilled? Or did a different group of passengers board this week? Inquiring minds want to know, but unless someone is an Oceania insider who can post the details, it may be like the X-files, with the truth still out there.

AFAIK, as long as you plan to have 2 manhattans and 2 beers for your DH.

Unless I was misinformed, the 2-for-1 means you are getting the same 2 drinks for the price of 1....and not 2 different drinks.

AFAIK, as long as you plan to have 2 manhattans and 2 beers for your DH.

Unless I was misinformed, the 2-for-1 means you are getting the same 2 drinks for the price of 1....and not 2 different drinks.

I didn't want to spread bum info .So I kept my mouth shut . But you are correct ,It has to be the same drink .You might be able to get them to hold the second two so you both get what you want . As I recall they throw a great Captains cocktail party . Full open bar , with a few restrictions on expensive scotch and maybe something else . Call liquor , and it goes for at least two hours . :p:p:p:p

Edited by iamkingofall
I'm plowed

I did want to mention that the drinks of the day, normally priced at $6.50 each are not eligible for happy hour. You can order them, but you only get one for the price. Also, when you order a drink at happy hour, they will bring you the first one and then ask you when you want the second one brought. This keeps the drink from getting warm. That is if you are a slow drinker. :D

On our March 13th Riviera cruise there was no Noro. We ate in all specialty dine. rooms and all were out of this world. All meat was cooked to order. Oceania is a foodie`s delight and in MHO even better than the luxury lines.

I'm curious as to what luxury lines you've sailed that had food you felt inferior to Oceanias.

May i suggest someone start a new thread re happy hour. If not this awful Noro thread will be at the top of the Oceania boards forever

I agree. The Noro thread should be over and done by now and that headline should be put to bed forever. I hope.

I did want to mention that the drinks of the day, normally priced at $6.50 each are not eligible for happy hour. You can order them, but you only get one for the price. Also, when you order a drink at happy hour, they will bring you the first one and then ask you when you want the second one brought. This keeps the drink from getting warm. That is if you are a slow drinker. :D

Mike, I'm sure you've had many tell you this but let me also add that I really appreciate the photos and information you have posted on your website about the Riviera. It has answered many of my questions about the room storage space, the layout, the terrace views, the pool amenities, etc. Thank you so much! It's superb and has been a big help.