What's the Class System Like on Oceania?

BBQ Lover

Before we started sailing on Oceania we had cruised with Windstar which is almost totally classless IMO. Their idea of a suite is two cabins with the wall between knocked down :). I believe there is an owner's suite or two or three but I've never met anyone who sailed in one. It helps that we also used to sail so any cabin where the bed doesn't fill the entire space is a bonus!

Although I'm aware that there are differences on Oceania I have never felt that they impacted on my experience. I don't have a cooked breakfast at home so I find that isn't an issue for me. We tend to arrive later to embark so that we can see a bit of our embarkation port so boarding times don't affect us and I like the GDR, and, if the location in port is right, the Terrace Cafe so I don't need to eat in the speciality restaurants frequently. I can think of no use for an executive or concierge lounge for me, especially now the ships have Baristas as well as a concierge desk. But, of course, everyone is different.

You're quite right, Travelcat, about the way things were when your husband sailed and years before that they were even worse.

In the UK at one time class was a function of birth as well as wealth. Money couldn't buy class. Cunard ran liners, which were a form of point to point transport, and transport in the UK was class based. Train carriages are still separated into two classes and aircraft have different classes too. These differences to me are much more noticeable than anything I've seen on Oceania. Perhaps that's why our points of view are so different. C'est la vie!

Although I've been on neither line I think any differences on Oceania are negligible compared to Cunard and NCL, for example. I feel as if I eat the same food and share the same spaces as everyone else, cooked breakfast and executives lounges notwithstanding. I find that amazing for the cost. Luxury lines don't give me that opportunity. They make their class distinction before I even get on board :D :D.

I only found out about the cooked breakfast issue through reading about it on here so perhaps, as suggested, Oceania needs to make that clearer for newcomers to the line.

Edited by SellaVee

I have pointed this out before but selective amnesia seems to be rampant:

Staggered boarding times are not simply a matter of status on Oceania.

Getting onto the ship earlier ensures priority access to Specialty Restaurant Reservations, Spa Appointments as well as half a dozen other amenities and privileges which may only be booked during the voyage.

If the good lady who takes such exception to this process wishes to abdicate her own benefits, she is certainly free to do so, (that will be the day, by the way :rolleyes: ) but it does seem callous and unfeeling for her to summarily dismiss the perquisites for which others have paid good money simply because of the way that it makes her feel.

I know this may not be popular, but I am with Travelcat on this one. Why not let everyone board as they show up? It is not a problem on regent, so I don't understand how it would be a problem on Oceania. And they don't need separate lines for different cabin categories.

You can book dinner reservations online. You can book spa appointments ahead of time by phone.

We will returning to Oceania to sail with a group of friends in January. We have all different levels of cabins, from inside to concierge and penthouse suites. Why can't we all board together? As it is, I guess we will just wait till later to board with our friends.

With the problems, order, and crowds folks have described in the boarding process there is a much simpler approach. Knowing the potential exists for boarding "problems" and knowing that your cabin wont be ready till 2;30 or even 3:00..... Why then try to jump into the whole problem?

I , some time ago figured out that if I board around 2:30 or even 3 I have no lines, no problems.

My bags beat em to my cabin, and so I miss a lunch...like woopie.. there will be plenty more.

Arriving late, is so stress free and relaxed you never have to worry about anyone or any thing except you.......This missing the masses trying to get to the front of the line is but a distant memory.. Your choice whether to subject yourself or not.....

I know this may not be popular, but I am with Travelcat on this one. Why not let everyone board as they show up? It is not a problem on regent, so I don't understand how it would be a problem on Oceania. And they don't need separate lines for different cabin categories.

They DO.

Our last embarkation was in Copenhagen on the Nauitca.

We were in a B cat cabin and our embarkation time was designated for 1 PM.

As we had to check out of the hotel earlier, we went to the port, ready to wait if needed.

As it was, we simply dropped our luggage as we arrived before noon and walked right onto the ship. The check in was in the Nauitica lounge (no terminal at that port) and while there were 3 separate lines for cabin categories, as there was nobody in the suites line we were called right up to check in that line.

As simple as that. The staggering and separate lines are there to control the lines from being too long if everyone arrives at the same time, but passengers are not forced to wait until their boarding time - we did not have to wait till 1 PM to check in. If someone's flight arrives at 7 AM, it is simply impossible for them to go straight to the ship for many reasons but they can as soon as boarding starts and they will be accommodated as soon as possible. That has been my experience.

It seems to me that for some poster preferential treatment is OK if nobody knows about it (like suite cabins being ready first without public announcement) but not OK with it is visible (as in separate line).

Really? :confused:

Edited by Paulchili

I'm with Dan on this. What is the overwhelming desire to board the ship at 11:00 - 12:00 in the morning? My experiences have been that most of the people lining up for early boarding are not those that have flown in that morning, but by those that are already in town. We have seen people lining up and waiting around the boarding area as we were disembarking. Planes hadn't arrived yet giving the people time to get through customs, immigration, and transport to the ship. New arrivals are not getting into Stockholm or Southhampton cruise terminals at 9:00 -10:00. In Sidney, we were heading out the door at around 9:00 . We had checked out, given out luggage to the concierge, and were heading out to a local museum we hadn't yet visited. Two couples, at the hotel, we had meet that was on our cruise was catching a taxi to the cruise terminal. They planned to wait there until boarding. I asked when their boarding time was (thinking perhaps they were in a OS or something), they replied 1:00! :eek: They were in Sidney, with an incredible amount to see and do, and they're heading to the ship early! It's their choice, whatever, but I could care less if they have to sit there until 13:00. Oceania allows you to drop your baggage off typically around 9:30-10:00 after they have fully finished with all the departing baggage. Everyone has that opportunity, so then LEAVE and sightsee, but don't moan and groan because the ship won't allow you to board 2 hours before you're scheduled to do so! :rolleyes:

We got to the terminal at around 14:15 and boarded the ship with no waits or hassles. On that cruise, Aussie immigration controlled the boarding process, I was later told, and no one boarded much before their assigned time with the upper suites actually being delayed for awhile.

Our next couple of cruises are of 15 days and 20 days. We will get plenty of time aboard, with multiple sea days, to eat in all the restaurants and explore the ships (we've already been on) extensively. Why show up early? A "free" lunch. Although the food in the Terrace is good, I'd rather eat exceptional local food in Copenhagen or Venice than just another buffet .

Is the real discussion, that for a percentage of O cruisers, the destination is the ship and not the ports? For those cruisers getting on the ship asap, hitting the restaurants, and pre paid booze is the highlight of the cruise, while the rest of us are more ports visited oriented?

pinotlover,

I think it is the same "syndrome" as we often see at disembarkation.

Some people simply choose to ignore their disembarkation color tag and have to jump ahead and force longer lines and congestion for others.

Okay - now I'm thoroughly confused.

Agreed

When we sailed on the Riviera we booked Specialty Restaurant Reservations online - not when we got onto the ship. And, while not trying to compare Regent to Oceania, they do have the same contractor for the spa and they do take bookings in advance.

A) Not everyone is aware of, or is computer savvy enough to use the Online Reservation System. Boarding early is one way of ensuring that they still receive Reservation priority.

B) Those whose "guaranteed reservations are fewer than the number which they desire, often try to procure "extra" spots after arriving on the ship. For most passengers, the number of reservations which they might make in person far exceed the number which they are guaranteed.

Has the policy changed so that you must be onboard to book amenities?

No, but you must try to remember that not everyone starts with the pre-cruise advantages which you do, staying in a Suite.

Particularly as regards Specialty reservations, you speak as a member of a very rarefied group, yet you rarely take that into consideration and tend to judge the entire passenger compliment based on YOUR experiences.

Finally, I believe all of this started when someone either new to Oceania or thinking about whether or not to book a cruise on Oceania asked if there was a class system. IMO, had all of us just stated our opinion and why it probably would have been more helpful.

In my opinion, it would be heaps more helpful if you were sometimes willing to rethink your positions when new information is introduced into the mix.

This is supposed to be a discussion, not a Manifesto.

Agreed

Particularly as regards Specialty reservations, you speak as a member of a very rarefied group, yet you rarely take that into consideration and tend to judge the entire passenger compliment based on YOUR experiences. [/font][/size]

Are you saying that not everyone can make dining reservations online in advance --- but only passengers in suites? If that is the case I am more than surprised as this is not the case on Oceania's sister company Regent. If this is true, I cannot imagine why this is done.

In terms of priority reservations, there are very few people that are not computer savvy. Regent has priority reservations and no doubt have passengers that are not computer savvy but everyone can make on-line reservations (priority reservations can be made earlier than regular reservations). This is a non-issue on Regent. Dining reservations are held back for those unable to make reservations online. And, no matter what time you board the ship, you cannot run to a restaurant and make reservations.

I actually have changed my mind on some issues but it is easier to do when you are not being attacked. I truly do not understand all of the ins and outs of Oceania which is why I ask questions. Again, my posts are in response to the original question. IMO, there is a form of inequality on Oceania that does not need to exist. The more I learn on this thread the more convinced I am that this exists.

Edited by Travelcat2

I am getting so tired of going on vacation and being told that I can't have something because I don't have the proper rewards status.

Again, my posts are in response to the original question. IMO, there is a form of inequality on Oceania that does not need to exist. The more I learn on this thread the more convinced I am that this exists.

The trouble is, Travelcat, if you read the original post, and your subsequent responses, you can see that you are coming over not as someone who is answering the original question, but rather as someone who is determined to create an impression of inequality on Oceania, where, in the terms of the original question, ie reward status, and indeed in the minds of those of us suffering the supposed inequality of later boarding times and no access to executive lounges, none exists.

As I have already said, there is inequality, and there are perks. If I can't board the ship at the same time as you because I am a woman, or because I am Scottish that is inequality because, short of gender reassignment and elocution lessons (steps too far, I feel) there is nothing I can do about that. If you may board the ship before me becaus you gave paid handsomely for that privilege I have no cause for complaint. I could, equally, have made the same choice.

I know you genuinely feel people are attacking you, but I feel they are simply frustrated by the fact that trying to get you to see their point of view is like trying to teach a fish to climb a tree. Once again, I don't mean to hurt your feelings.

The trouble is, Travelcat, if you read the original post, and your subsequent responses, you can see that you are coming over not as someone who is answering the original question, but rather as someone who is determined to create an impression of inequality on Oceania, where, in the terms of the original question, ie reward status, and indeed in the minds of those of us suffering the supposed inequality of later boarding times and no access to executive lounges, none exists.

As I have already said, there is inequality, and there are perks. If I can't board the ship at the same time as you because I am a woman, or because I am Scottish that is inequality because, short of gender reassignment and elocution lessons (steps too far, I feel) there is nothing I can do about that. If you may board the ship before me becaus you gave paid handsomely for that privilege I have no cause for complaint. I could, equally, have made the same choice.

I know you genuinely feel people are attacking you, but I feel they are simply frustrated by the fact that trying to get you to see their point of view is like trying to teach a fish to climb a tree. Once again, I don't mean to hurt your feelings.

Thank you SellaVee for putting it so succinctly - obviously I couldn't do that :)

I am one of those that can't wait to embark,especially on a ship we have never sailed on,It's not because of the 'pre paid' drinks or 'free lunch',but because I am excited.I work hard as a nurse,save hard and enjoy good holidays...I have very little annual leave so want to make the most of the experience.We generally arrive a day or two early to enjoy the port we sailaway from.

Our first Oceania cruise is next month and we are soooo looking forward to it,We will arrive when we are expected to.I don't care if people choose to arrive earlier or later than me.I wont judge them...

I am very grateful for all the advice on this board and can honestly say that it is nowhere near as 'spiteful' as some other cruise line boards...

Jane, I used to be just the same as you, though I'd never try and board before my allocated time since I know the crew need time to turn the ship around. It was OH who pointed out that I was wasting a day since I was going to be on the ship for a while so on our first Windstar cruise we hired a driver to give us a tour of the island and then take us to the ship around 4pm. I was dying to see the beautiful Windstar yacht but I did enjoy my tour of the island - and we'd already been there a week. Since then we've always gone later to avoid the crush and OH is a happy bunny.

I don't believe there is a class system on Oceania, just as there is no class system on Cunard.

It is quite simple, pay more, get more.

The customer decides what is value to them and buys the cabin and experience to fit. :)

I don't believe there is a class system on Oceania, just as there is no class system on Cunard.

It is quite simple, pay more, get more.

The customer decides what is value to them and buys the cabin and experience to fit. :)

Spot on

It is not a class system if ANYONE has access to any class of cabin.