Using Oceania air

flirteur

I chose a random date in Dec it shows 8 flights for MIA to SEA between 11:30am & 2pm

they are all with a connection though

Ok. But some of these connections are either via snow country or with long plane changes. Also, given the number of cruise ships calling in Miami the demand for these flights is very high. It is usually pretty hard to get from MIA to SEA after a cruise. However, we do have lots of options for Hawaii [emoji3]

Ok. But some of these connections are either via snow country or with long plane changes. Also, given the number of cruise ships calling in Miami the demand for these flights is very high. It is usually pretty hard to get from MIA to SEA after a cruise. However, we do have lots of options for Hawaii [emoji3]

So that is the answer

do not fly from MIA :D

Right! If you live in the NORTHWEST skip the Caribbean and go to Hawaii [emoji2]

The flights to Hawaii are hell too.

From your area, for mindless beaches and sun, I'd suggest one of those Love Boat cruises from LA via Cabo. Oceania is doing it in January on the Regatta.

REG170107.jpg

NOT SO! I can get a nonstop to Kauai leaves SEA at 8 AM arrives Kauai at 2:20 8 hours in the air and it doesn't go anywhere near California.

[emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

LOL, to us here in the Northeast.

CT_9278.gif

8 hours in an Airplane sounds like something out of Dante!

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by JimandStan

Jim and Stan,

The Dante image appropriately describes a trip from SEA to MIA. It generally takes 8-10 hours usually with a plane change in lovely Atlanta airport :eek: where your option is a mad dash across three ramps to catch the connection or a tedious 3 hour wait with 20,000 of your new friends.

Living in Seattle area is nice, much nicer than when we lived on the east coast. But travel to the east or to Europe presents difficulties that I suppose are similar to you all trying to go to Hawaii or Japan. It's well worth it for us.

Re the Kauai trip described above: yea it's a moderately long plane ride but we can usually get our bags, rent a car and be in a condo on the beach in 45 minutes from landing. And I can assure you the beach is way nicer than anything in Florida.

Regards,

Robbie

Robbie-

Disparagement of Florida and the Caribbean is a common West Coast affectation, but personally I despise the texture of the sand in Hawaii.

naples.jpg

The next time time that you're out East, I'd recommend digging your toes into the sand in and around Naples. Stunning! The texture of talcum powder!

naples_florida.jpg

I'll cede the point that the sand in Hawaii is different but, really, "despise"? Yes, the sand is a bit coarser but in Kauai we have beautiful coral reefs with easy snorkeling from the beach in many areas and generally beautiful weather year round.

Google maps tells me Naples is 2hr 10min from MIA. The condo we usually stay at in Kauai is about 15 minutes from the airport. From where I live I'll take Kauai thank you very much.

We have lived on the east coast and traveled all up and down the coast from Maine to Florida for both work and pleasure. When I retired we settled in the Northwest because of the climate and easy access to uncrowded recreational opportunities. We visit NYC regularly but only in the spring or fall. Never want to spend another summer or winter in your weather.

Of course, everybody loves what they know best :D

Robbie

Just need to remember, a direct flight definitely has stops before arrival at your destination and at times there are actually plane changes on direct lights. If you mean non-stop, you need to use that term. In the airline industry Direct and non-stop are not necessarily the same and if you ask an airline employee for a direct light there is no guarantee the plane won't stop before your destination and in some rare cases might even have a change in aircraft.

Oops my bad! I did mean non-stop. Thanks for the correct verbiage.

Oceania Air, as I just rediscovered, will not talk to you until a min of 270 days out. If one is looking for non-stop flights to popular destinations during high tourist season, and waits until 270 days out, then good luck! Expect the possibility/probability of connections and what ever that brings.

Air Canada is running a supposingly "new" sale on tickets. I checked the new pricing for the tickets I bought three weeks ago for next June. New prices are $300 higher than I paid. Since the return is not until mid July, for that cruise, we are still technically only 310 days out. Premium Economy is now already completely sold out for both legs, as well is a good chunk of business class on those 789s! O won't be booking anyone PE on those flights come 270 days. For direct flights into CPH from the States, that pretty well only leaves SAS, and we'll see what's left come 270 days with them! Otherwise, get used to the multi-stops, or sit buried in economy.

If one is flying off season to a less popular destination, waiting until the 270 deadline may well work, otherwise you take what you can get.

We just returned from Stockholm to LAX after a great 14 day Baltic cruise on Nautica. I definitely recommend that you investigate Norwegian Air Shuttle which flies directly to and from various Scandinavian cities but not on every day from both the East and West coast of the US. Our eleven hour flight in 'premium' was no more than economy on other airlines and the plane was a 787 Dreamliner. - 46" pitch and all the usual food and drinks. Service was above average from the Thai crew. We saved $200. by booking the flight on the Swedish rather than the US website. Using SAS business class would have cost double. I don't think Oceania has any agreement with NAS.

I will not fly on the day of sailing and Oceania stated that any flight that they offered for free would be on the day of embarkation. Since I live in Tucson and all flights to Miami require a change that was just out of the question. Also, costs of flights to Florida have increased dramatically since two years ago. Think $500 - 700 RT. Rather than pay for a deviation, I booked a pre-cruise hotel through Oceania and they agreed to include transfers to the hotel from the airport and to the ship from the hotel as well as air. For a little more than the price of the deviation I now have a nice hotel included the day before the cruise. The only real drawback is that I cannot pick my flight. But since there are no red-eyes from Tucson I am taking that risk.

I booked a pre-cruise hotel through Oceania and they agreed to include transfers to the hotel from the airport and to the ship from the hotel as well as air. For a little more than the price of the deviation I now have a nice hotel included the day before the cruise. .

Did you notice the pre or post cruise hotel packages are PP rates ?

& they have always includes the transfers so it was not a special favour to you

Why don't you take the one way credit not pay the deviation and buy your own ticket. You save the deviation fee and probably get $200 or so credit so you pay $54 and not $175 and get the same flight??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are Oceania newbies. How does the one way credit work? We'd like to book our own flight to arrive 2 days early in Miami. If we use the Oceania flight for our return on the same day the ship returns, is there a deviation fee for this?

While hardly Oceania newbies, we had never heard of the possibility of taking half of O's flight credit and booking our own air travel to the ship, then using O's regular booking procedure for the return trip. That is, not until reading rallydave's suggestion quoted above.

We share the concern of others about flying to the ship the same day for domestic departures, or overnight for same-morning arrival on overseas departures. But, as stated above, O considers any early travel to be a deviation even though it would save them hassles down the road if all their customers arrived on time.

The one-way credit solves everything, although a mystery for another day is why our travel agent -- a major O producer used by many on this board -- never mentioned it to us before.

Suffice to say that rallydave lit a bulb over my head and we changed travel plans for our upcoming cruise out of Miami. We'll take half the air credit and arrive Miami a day early; O will put us on whatever they want to fly home after the cruise.

That might not work for people who absolutely, positively must return home without potential delays stemming from missed connections or flights poorly chosen by O. But at least for us, the house won't care if we're delayed for hours or even arrive a day later.

The half-and-half is a great stress-relieving procedure for us pre-cruise worry-warts.

Edited by DrHemlock

Just to be clear the credit may not be half depending on your cruise. For instance if on a TA from Miami the credit to Miami would probably be less than half while if a TA from say Barcelona the credit would probably be more than half because of significant differences in the fares.

Still a credit and possibly be less expensive than a deviation however as in all air costs each person has to do their specific calculations for their specific situation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

True that! Our upcoming cruise is Miami-to-Miami so we got half the credit and I didn't think about the point rallydave just now made. It would have been better had I referred to "before and after" or "to and from" rather than "half-and-half."

Thanks, rallydave, for the original idea and for the clarification.

Did you notice the pre or post cruise hotel packages are PP rates ?

& they have always includes the transfers so it was not a special favour to you

I did realize that the cost of the hotel is pp but the pp cost with air, hotel and transfers is less than half of just the airfare round trip pp from Tucson and the hotel is a fine Marriott hotel near the Miami pier. I consider that a bargain since I would have had to book a hotel in any case if I arrive a day before the cruise. Oceania is charging less than $300 pp. for everything. If I booked the Marriott independently the cost would be almost $100 pp just for the room.

That means the cost of air plus transfers is a little less than $200. pp. and I do not pay a deviation fee.

True that! Our upcoming cruise is Miami-to-Miami so we got half the credit and I didn't think about the point rallydave just now made. It would have been better had I referred to "before and after" or "to and from" rather than "half-and-half."

Thanks, rallydave, for the original idea and for the clarification.

The partial credit also works well for one way FF flights (now that airlines are pricing FF tickets on a one way basis), when you a bit short on points.

For next April's Miami-Lisbon cruise on Marina we opted to book our own air. (Admittedly, we usually do.)

Originally we were just going to fly down to Miami from NYC on the day the cruise leaves but after looking at air schedules we decided to play it safe and go down the night before.

For the return from Lisbon we're staying on for another week. A deviation might have worked here but we didn't consider it. For one thing we want biz air and that tends to be more costly with O. I found a discounter who reduced the cost that I found on my own ...

In the past we've flown to Miami on the day of the ship's departure but they were extremely early morning flights (especially for the cruise when I couldn't find my passport and had to get it renewed in Miami on that day!) ...

But this time we didn't want to have to leave at 7am ... The hotel in Miami is not an egregious cost ...

For our just booked Rome-Barcelona cruise on Marina in November '17 we may take a deviation -- assuming we take all our upcoming cruises, we'll be gold which will mean no deviation fee. So we'll consider it there: NY to Rome/Barcelona to NY flights. We will still have the problem of biz air costs using O.

Mura

Mura

I did realize that the cost of the hotel is pp but the pp cost with air, hotel and transfers is less than half of just the airfare round trip pp from Tucson and the hotel is a fine Marriott hotel near the Miami pier. I consider that a bargain since I would have had to book a hotel in any case if I arrive a day before the cruise. Oceania is charging less than $300 pp. for everything. If I booked the Marriott independently the cost would be almost $100 pp just for the room.

That means the cost of air plus transfers is a little less than $200. pp. and I do not pay a deviation fee.

as long as you are aware that it is PP & works for you

not everyone compares costs independently