LIVE - Marina Jan 22-Feb1 - Back to the Future

sldispatcher

I so hope I remember to visit the RCCL board to read your comments about your Liberty cruise. That will be interesting It will be following knee surgery so I'll be looking for entertainment.

Thank you again. Can't wait to board the 18th!

Edited by HeatherInFlorida

I so hope I remember to visit the RCCL board to read your comments about your Liberty cruise. That will be interesting It will be following knee surgery so I'll be looking for entertainment.

Thank you again. Can't wait to board the 18th!

Heather,

Best wishes with your knee surgery. I have had both of my replaced and could not be happier. Just remember, the physical therapy is key. Be diligent but work at your own pace.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oddly enough, there was a lack of realization of the connection of the embarkation date of this cruise and our overall Oceania experience.

Exactly 6 years before, Jan 22, 2011 we strode aboard the refined class and elegance of a cruise experience that will never be duplicated. It just can’t be. Ushering the Riviera across the Atlantic a little while later had its own merits and fun.

This Oceania newbie had his eyes opened to what a cruise could be and not what it had been for several years before. I feel personally blessed to have experienced any of it. Even more so to return to Marina once more.

So if I have to look back 6 years and then zoom forward I would generate the list that follows in terms of suggestions/reflections for Oceania (if anyone is listening) and for the general thread followers.

1. The ship is in immaculate shape. Aside from a nick here or a very fine scuff there, the ship has worn her 6 years like a champ. To me, this means both crew and passenger have shown her respect.

2. Consider retiring Polo Grill and merging it into Toscana as the Tuscan Steakhouse like you have done on Sirena. Even if they don’t, a new menu and concept could bring a breath of fresh air into the eatery. It is the ocean…perhaps a real concentration on seafood? Should it go Peruvian or Brazilian with a different steakhouse flare?

3. La Reserve continues to bother me as an underutilized space with a kitchen (I think) and chairs for a neat concept dinner that could be expanded beyond just a few nights of the cruise.

4. Re-evaluate the MDR from a service perspective. Although our sample size is far too limited to make it have value, our anecdotal evidence is there needs some work done there. The food is really good or could be.

5. Oceania has so many moving details and parts when it comes to service and doing things right, my hats off to the staff, managers, and front office that keep this operation going at such a high level.

6. For the thread followers, if you have not sailed Oceania but want to, these Caribbean itineraries provide a value that exceeds those of the bigger lines. Do the math. It’s staring you right in the face. But PLEASE do not tell other people or the demand would drive the price back up! Think of them as Oceania samplers.

See, my list wasn’t all that bad.

Purposefully, I have withheld stateroom numbers so as not to completely identify ourselves onboard until the bitter end. This was done so that you know that I could remain objective and was under no influence from anyone at Oceania. Hopefully, this has been a fair, albeit sometimes quirky, review of the ship.

7133 - PH

7130 - PH

8133 - VS

8143 - OS

As stated before, I am grateful for the many people who contribute to Cruise Critic across all forums with anecdotes, hints, trip reports and the like. This is my payback and my mental catharsis for those that follow. Certainly it can come across peppered with the seasoning of personal likes and dislikes. But just like the subjectivity of food reviews, one must consider the source (me) from which it comes. Thus, you have had to put up with hints of humor and prose that were meant to reveal bits and pieces of yours truly as we sailed along. Your sticking with me on this has been appreciated but also raised concern that some of you have either serious insomnia or have missed the last few psychiatrist appointments.

But back to Marina…….

The simple truth cannot be stated any plainer.

She’s a great vessel.

A great company with not only excellent onboard service, but apparently, a shore side office of hidden gems who NEVER get credit for maintaining this whole operation and keeping us well fed and happy. The blackberries are not grown onboard! The fruit, butter, meats, linens, new chairs, entertainers and staff have to get on here somehow.

Finally, I wish you a great time onboard Marina whenever the “windswept breezes” take you her way.

Good night and good bye.

It's been.....well, great!

Heather,

Best wishes with your knee surgery. I have had both of my replaced and could not be happier. Just remember, the physical therapy is key. Be diligent but work at your own pace.

James

James, thank you. I've heard it's all about the PT work after. I'm ready. My quick Caribbean cruise on the Marina shortly before will help :).

Exactly 6 years before, Jan 22, 2011 we strode aboard the refined class and elegance of a cruise experience that will never be duplicated. It just can’t be. Ushering the Riviera across the Atlantic a little while later had its own merits and fun.

This Oceania newbie had his eyes opened to what a cruise could be and not what it had been for several years before. I feel personally blessed to have experienced any of it. Even more so to return to Marina once more.

So if I have to look back 6 years and then zoom forward I would generate the list that follows in terms of suggestions/reflections for Oceania (if anyone is listening) and for the general thread followers.

1. The ship is in immaculate shape. Aside from a nick here or a very fine scuff there, the ship has worn her 6 years like a champ. To me, this means both crew and passenger have shown her respect.

2. Consider retiring Polo Grill and merging it into Toscana as the Tuscan Steakhouse like you have done on Sirena. Even if they don’t, a new menu and concept could bring a breath of fresh air into the eatery. It is the ocean…perhaps a real concentration on seafood? Should it go Peruvian or Brazilian with a different steakhouse flare?

3. La Reserve continues to bother me as an underutilized space with a kitchen (I think) and chairs for a neat concept dinner that could be expanded beyond just a few nights of the cruise.

4. Re-evaluate the MDR from a service perspective. Although our sample size is far too limited to make it have value, our anecdotal evidence is there needs some work done there. The food is really good or could be.

5. Oceania has so many moving details and parts when it comes to service and doing things right, my hats off to the staff, managers, and front office that keep this operation going at such a high level.

6. For the thread followers, if you have not sailed Oceania but want to, these Caribbean itineraries provide a value that exceeds those of the bigger lines. Do the math. It’s staring you right in the face. But PLEASE do not tell other people or the demand would drive the price back up! Think of them as Oceania samplers.

Two years after you boarded an Oceania ship for the first time, so did we. After cruising since 1982 on so many lines most recently HAL and Celebrity, the transition was so profound that we never even glanced back. We are hooked.

I like Polo as it is and hope they don't blend with Toscana since it is my least favorite. Jacques is my personal favorite with Polo a close second. You GDR experience mirrors ours on Riviera last year so we shall only go once.

How many times I have thanked you for taking us along. I enjoy your humor, adore the way you write, love reading between the lines and learning a little about someone I have never known and most likely never will ...

You are right .... it has been ... well, great:)! Thank you, David. Safe journey home. As a thank you I arranged a gorgeous day here in South Florida for your re-entry. Enjoy:p.

For those of you departing Marina today, can you provide any information for future travelers on time off ship?/arrival at MIA?/flight times? Just curious as to how quickly this moved along, since Marina was the only passenger ship in port this morning.

Thanks for any info and welcome home!

For those of you departing Marina today, can you provide any information for future travelers on time off ship?/arrival at MIA?/flight times? Just curious as to how quickly this moved along, since Marina was the only passenger ship in port this morning.

Thanks for any info and welcome home!

Don't forget that this time Marina had been to Key West prior to Miami where immigration took place (I believe).

The situation (and disembarkation times) may be different when Marina arrives to Miamia from a foreign port and immigration has to take place in Miami.

Edited by Paulchili

Oddly enough, there was a lack of realization of the connection of the embarkation date of this cruise and our overall Oceania experience.

2.Consider retiring Polo Grill and merging it into Toscana as the Tuscan Steakhouse like you have done on Sirena. Even if they don’t, a new menu and concept could bring a breath of fresh air into the eatery. It is the ocean…perhaps a real concentration on seafood? Should it go Peruvian or Brazilian with a different steakhouse flare?

3.La Reserve continues to bother me as an underutilized space with a kitchen (I think) and chairs for a neat concept dinner that could be expanded beyond just a few nights of the cruise.

4.Re-evaluate the MDR from a service perspective. Although our sample size is far too limited to make it have value, our anecdotal evidence is there needs some work done there. The food is really good or could be.

5.Oceania has so many moving details and parts when it comes to service and doing things right, my hats off to the staff, managers, and front office that keep this operation going at such a high level.

6.For the thread followers, if you have not sailed Oceania but want to, these Caribbean itineraries provide a value that exceeds those of the bigger lines. Do the math. It’s staring you right in the face. But PLEASE do not tell other people or the demand would drive the price back up! Think of them as Oceania samplers.

See, my list wasn’t all that bad.

Purposefully, I have withheld stateroom numbers so as not to completely identify ourselves onboard until the bitter end. This was done so that you know that I could remain objective and was under no influence from anyone at Oceania. Hopefully, this has been a fair, albeit sometimes quirky, review of the ship.

7133 - PH

7130 - PH

8133 - VS

8143 - OS

As stated before, I am grateful for the many people who contribute to Cruise Critic across all forums with anecdotes, hints, trip reports and the like. This is my payback and my mental catharsis for those that follow. Certainly it can come across peppered with the seasoning of personal likes and dislikes. But just like the subjectivity of food reviews, one must consider the source (me) from which it comes. Thus, you have had to put up with hints of humor and prose that were meant to reveal bits and pieces of yours truly as we sailed along. Your sticking with me on this has been appreciated but also raised concern that some of you have either serious insomnia or have missed the last few psychiatrist appointments.

But back to Marina…….

The simple truth cannot be stated any plainer.

She’s a great vessel.

A great company with not only excellent onboard service, but apparently, a shore side office of hidden gems who NEVER get credit for maintaining this whole operation and keeping us well fed and happy. The blackberries are not grown onboard! The fruit, butter, meats, linens, new chairs, entertainers and staff have to get on here somehow.

Finally, I wish you a great time onboard Marina whenever the “windswept breezes” take you her way.

Good night and good bye.

David, thank you so much for going to the trouble to post all of this information. I am going to try to do the same on my Oceania cruise, Transatlantic Traveler, November 14-December 2, 2017. I know my posts will not be as eloquent as yours and I am not trying to copy what you have done. I think the information you provided is invaluable to someone who has not been on an Oceania cruise or on a cruise of the western Caribbean.

David, Thanks so much for your commentary on the Marina. We will be first time Oceania (altho many times on other ships) and you have already made us familiar and looking forward to being on our Marina cruise in March! It was so nice of you to also share your personal objectives and happy that you and your spouse found this an important experience. May the Lord bless you and your family.

Don't forget that this time Marina had been to Key West prior to Miami where immigration took place (I believe).

The situation (and disembarkation times) may be different when Marina arrives to Miamia from a foreign port and immigration has to take place in Miami.

Thanks for the info. We will be sailing this same itinerary the end of this month.

David, thank you so much for the picturesque diary of your cruise. How wonderful of you to share this with so many!