"Casual jeans and sandals" ?

Redtravel

not that long ago jeans of any description were not allowed at dinner with the exception of the Terrace

do not care what you subscribe to but reading the above posts it appears we are on the slope already

Thank you - I understand that this is where your emotions lie. But emotions are not logic and it's not at all clear how you have reached this conclusion.

I can understand why people are concerned about a decline in the quality of dress wear on cruise ships - it interferes with the fantasy that they are participating in a high end society dinner limited to members of their (high) social class. Given that the dress codes are largely a product of a multi class transatlantic cruise culture of the past this is illogical if understandable, cruisers by and large being the most conservative of travelers.

Dress codes are already undermined by the "conscientious objectors" who will wear a required jacket over a putrid T shirt to assert their "don't tread on me" freedom. These same people can also be commonly seen wearing baseball, golf or military caps indoors as a sort of political signal with nary a peep from the people disturbed by jeans jr shorts.

You may protest MMNYC, but I'm sure you've seen T shirt wearing outliers at the high end restaurants in NYC, not to mention the Japanese girls in their denim hot pants 😜

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I've got it about jeans at dinner.

And I'm presuming jeans are OK in the GDR at breakfast and lunch. Or do the dinner rules also apply?

TIA

jeans are fine during the day

no swimwear in the dining venues for breakfast & lunch though :)

On my current cruise, I haven't seen anyone even attempt to wear any type jeans or shorts to the GDR or Specialties. OTH, we had our first O Club reception tonight and it was announced that 82% of the passengers are repeat O Clubbers. Higher than my last cruise of 76%! So the cruisers both understand the standards and have no desire to push the limits . No drama and no trauma. No one so infatuated with jeans they can't dress nicely.

So, which would you rather have at the table next to you during dinner ... (1) passengers who are obviously well-groomed but but wearing nice, clean, well-fitting jeans ... or ... (2) loud, boisterous (obviously with a few too many pre-dinner martinis under their belts) passengers ... nicely dressed in slacks, jackets and collared shirts ... cracking and laughing at crude, inside jokes all evening? :confused:

Personally, the jeans will win out every time!

So, which would you rather have at the table next to you during dinner ... (1) passengers who are obviously well-groomed but but wearing nice, clean, well-fitting jeans ... or ... (2) loud, boisterous (obviously with a few too many pre-dinner martinis under their belts) passengers ... nicely dressed in slacks, jackets and collared shirts ... cracking and laughing at crude, inside jokes all evening? :confused:

Do we have to choose? Can't we have the well dressed/well behaved people next to us? :D

Who is to say those wearing the well fitted jeans will not be loud & obnoxious

Just go back to NO JEANS rule for dinner

Problem solved

then the loud obnoxious people should be ask to leave no matter what they are wearing

along with those that insist on talking on their cell phones at the table

JMO

Why are those the only two options?

David