Best Journey itinerary, Rome-Barcelona or Barcelona-Lisbon??

kevin_p

I need some help decided between two itineraries on Azamara Journey in May of this year...one that is mostly the French Riviera and one that focuses on the Iberian coast. My wife and I are mid 30s, very active, and definitely want to take a cruise that starts or ends in Barcelona. We have cruised the eastern Mediterranean, but never the western.

Option 1, Rome-Barcelona, Monaco Grand Prix, 8 nights, no sea days

Ports:

Rome- been there several times and enjoy it, but not a must

Livorno - We would love to see Florence

Cannes overnight

Ajaccio Corsica

Monte Carlo/Monaco overnight - this is the weekend of the big F1 Monaco Grand Prix race. We aren't big race fans, but recognize the cultural significance and history of the race and would enjoy experiencing it once.

Barcelona - a must-see, but would be included on either itinerary.

Option 2, Barcelona-Lisbon, 9 nights, no sea days

Ports:

Barcelona

Alcudia Majorca

Valencia

Alicante

Cartagena

Gibraltar

Cadiz

Portomao

Lisbon overnight - A must-see for us. Even if we take the first itinerary we would likely fly to Lisbon for 2-3 days after visiting Barcelona.

We have never been to Spain other than connecting through Madrid airport, so #2 would be a great way to check out the Iberian coastal cities, but since we don't know a lot about the cities other than Barcelona and Lisbon, I'm concerned it might be a bit one-dimensional. Is there enough difference between each of the cities to enjoy so many Spanish coastal ports?

What are your thoughts regarding these ports/itineraries?

Thanks!

I am not sure if you will enjoy being Florence in a few hours only having to leave. It’s worthy of at least four days and better off as a land vacation mixed in with small Tuscan towns.

We are on the April 2019 Pursuit from Lisbon to Barcelona and are excited about seeing Lisbon.

I would agree to go on the cruise with the F1 race

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree that Florence is not best experienced as a cruise ship port excursion. Also reports have said that Monaco Grand Prix cruises don't really get much flavor [which day would you be there? qualifying isn't the same as the race day, but even the race day isn't much from one fixed point as compared to TV coverage].

The other itinerary is all ports that you can really experience in one day. So I would recommend the second itinerary -- but with the suggestion to fly RT Madrid. Spend some time in Madrid at either end, and use the train to Barcelona and air from Lisbon [or even Porto?} back to Madrid.

Have been in Monaco on qualifying day. Streets are completely blocked off so that you can’t see ANYTHING. I would not recommend.

OTOH the best fresh pasta I have ever eaten was in Monaco, so definitely go some other time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless you are a huge F1 fan then I would definitely go for the second itinerary. Monaco is a zoo on F1 days and there are so many roads blocked off that you can't get anywhere.

The ports on the second itinerary are very interesting and as someone else said, Florence deserves at least 3/4 days to see it.

The sail in and out of Lisbon along the Tajus river is one of the best anywhere. You see The Belem Tower, The Monument of the Discoveries and the magnificent Jeronimos Monastery from the ship. It's gorgeous.

Valencia is a lovely city too. I am there in June for my third time and intend to visit the City of Arts and Science living museum. The Oceanarium is fantastic.

Cadiz is just lovely too. Huge history, a magnificent Cathedral and of course the option to book a tour to nearby Seville...certainly a jewel in Spain's crown.

Gibraltar is British of course. The history here is unique. There are the incredible St Michael's caves, the Barbary Aprs st the top of the Rock and the quaint "Britain in the Nineteen Fifties" ambience. Good shopping here too.

Alcudia has a lovely beach ... This could be a relaxing chill out day for you.

Cartagena is very much a small, genuinely Spanish little town. Nothing much to do but people watch, walk along the lovely flat walkway in the port admiring the boats, have a coffee or a glass of wine with tapas. I find it very charming.

I think the ports on the second itinerary are much more interesting than the first.

Whichever you choose, I hope you have a great time.

We are booked on the first itinerary Rome to Barcelona, we chose this itinerary for the Monaco GP more specifically because we will be in Monaco for both Qualifying and Race days. If you’re not really interested in F1 this could be a big negative for this itinerary.

Originally we should have been in Cannes during the film festival, unfortunately the dates of the festival were changed and this is no longer the case.

Livorno will be the venue for the AzAmazing Evening which does mean an extended stay in port, 8am to 10pm so it would allow for a longer trip to Florence if you wanted.

Not been to all the Spanish ports but I would do the second cruise. I overnighted for the port near Florence and I never went in. Just went to other small towns. Reading Lottie's post I would run on cruise two.

Hi, I do agree with Lottie on the second itinerary as a preference.

Had you realised the second choice is a Perry Golf voyage, which I imagine is why there are mainly Spanish and Portuguese ports?

Your first choice includes The Monaco Grand Prix which takes over the town, but is a fabulous experience.

Bear in mind itineraries can change. We booked with Azamara last year, which included Valletta, Malta and Alcudia. The only two ports we had not visited. Quite close to sail date, Malta was cancelled and Alcudia was replaced by Palma and I believe a further tweak occurred. We were disappointed and probably wouldn't have chosen that final itinerary had we known. I can't believe Barcelona and Lisbon would be changed!! The Azamazing evening is at Hemisferic, Valencia which is impressive. We loved it there.

I am now feeling tempted by this itinerary!!

Hope you are able to make a decision. Ann.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you are a huge F 1 fan I would do the second itinerary and plan some extra time in Barcelona before you sail and in Lisbon after you sail. We did a Celebrity cruise from Amsterdam down to Rome that stopped in a lot of the Spanish ports, Lisbon and Livorno and we really enjoyed all of it. From Livorno we did a small group tour of the Tuscan countryside with stops at two wineries and a couple of small towns. It was all very enjoyable, even for we non wine drinkers. Gibratalar is also very cool, going up to the top of the rock is a must.

Selfishly, I recommend the Barcelona to Lisbon cruise simply because my husband and I are on that cruise, and it would be cool to have another couple that describes themselves as active! We are in our mid-40s and always look for active tours in the cities. We've got a cooking class in Valencia, a winery tour in Mallorca. You might want to look at the roll calls for the two options and see which appeals to you.

• 2 months later...

If you like huge crowds wearing logo hats, knockoff fire suits and t-shirts advertising cars and automotive products they know nothing about plus don't mind not seeing these incredible cars actually race (you'll hear them!) - go for it. I'm a dyed in the wool 'motor head' and was on a friends rather large yacht (there are no small yachts in Monaco ;)) in what most would say prime dockage for the GP a few years ago. Even several decks above the dock there wasn't much to see. This is a race that's perfect for TV viewing so unless you are very well connected and have access to an apartment along part of the track the Monaco GP [to me] is grossly over rated.

Barcelona wins this port of call question hands down. Monaco - without the GP- has much to offer so make sure you go - but not during the mayhem of GP week.