Mexican Riviera Carnival Splendor vs Ruby Princess?

RPB123

Hi, I'm looking to book a cruise over Thanksgiving with one of my long-time girlfriends. It will be just the two of us and we are just looking to relax for a week without our kids. We both like good food but are not snobs. We plan on drinking a fair amount and will probably get some sort of drink package. To be honest, we aren't thrilled with the itinerary but as we live in the western US (SLC and Seattle) it just gets too complicated trying to do a Florida departure. So we don't care much about the ports in Mexico, we've been to most of them before. We want some pool time, maybe spa treatments, decent (at least) food, fun bars/dancing maybe shows too.

Both Carnival and Princess offer seven day Mexican riviera trips with the exact same itinerary. Carnival is about $70 less for an ocean view. Which cruise line would be a better fit do you think? People seem to have the impression that Princess is more upscale, but in reading the reviews that doesn't always seem to be the case. Also, I think the Mexican Riviera cruises are their own sort of beast, possibly lower caliber than other cruises.

Thanks!

We've been on Mexican Riviera cruises with both cruise lines.

On Princess, we had "emergency Spanish lessons."

On Carnival, we had a "comic" talking about having sex with his dead grandmother.

That was enough for me to know which line I prefer.

Jim

We've sailed on both ships, and I'd go with the Ruby every time. There're good points on both ships. We had a spa cabin on the Splendor, and that was wonderful for sure. Unlimited access to all the really nice spa facilities. But I like the Ruby better in terms of food, promenade deck, and more peaceful decor. The Splendor was very pink and silver when we were on her.

Hi, I'm looking to book a cruise over Thanksgiving with one of my long-time girlfriends. It will be just the two of us and we are just looking to relax for a week without our kids. We both like good food but are not snobs. We plan on drinking a fair amount and will probably get some sort of drink package. To be honest, we aren't thrilled with the itinerary but as we live in the western US (SLC and Seattle) it just gets too complicated trying to do a Florida departure. So we don't care much about the ports in Mexico, we've been to most of them before. We want some pool time, maybe spa treatments, decent (at least) food, fun bars/dancing maybe shows too.

Both Carnival and Princess offer seven day Mexican riviera trips with the exact same itinerary. Carnival is about $70 less for an ocean view. Which cruise line would be a better fit do you think? People seem to have the impression that Princess is more upscale, but in reading the reviews that doesn't always seem to be the case. Also, I think the Mexican Riviera cruises are their own sort of beast, possibly lower caliber than other cruises.

Thanks!

If you are trying to get away from kids, Princess would be a better bet.

As to the passengers, the Mexican Riviera is fed by West Coasters while Florida is fed by East Coasters. The culture of the two coasts are very different.

We've been on Mexican Riviera cruises with both cruise lines.

On Princess, we had "emergency Spanish lessons."

On Carnival, we had a "comic" talking about having sex with his dead grandmother.

That was enough for me to know which line I prefer.

Jim

That pretty much sums up the difference between Princess and Carnival. :D -- EBC

I recently gave Carnival another try after a 10 year hiatus. I even stayed in their largest suite on one of their newest ships (Breeze). There was a REASON I took a 10 year hiatus (and previously I've cruised 20 times on Carnival SO I DO know the product).

I'd happily stay in the SMALLEST lowest down cabin on any Princess ship than ANY suite on a Carnival ship. Food, cleanliness (esp the cleanliness), lackadaisical service, sweaty hairy arm pits in the dining room (men in tank tops lifting their arms while adjusting their caps .... and there are some things I cannot unsee), men in "suits" and backwards baseball caps on "formal night". The F bomb floating in the air everywhere I went. That was my last LAST Carnival cruise. OMG Princess every time (and I've done Princess and Carnival on the Mexican Riviera).

They're done away w/ table cloths in the MDR (OK that's tacky in MORE WAYS THAN ONE, but some people don't mind). Fine but CLEAN the tables between seatings. TWICE my forearms STUCK to the table it was so sticky and dirty (faux wood grain disguises a myriad of filth.)

I used to get so annoyed w/ the Carnival haters. I guess I've become one.

Since you've posted on both boards, on Carnival boards you're going to get the most votes for the Splendor, on the Princess boards, you'll get the most votes for the Ruby.

I've been on both ships a couple of times and my opinion is, the Ruby is a much better choice for the ship, food, venues and overall experience. Just a personal preference. I'm sure you'll have a an amazing time on whichever you choose.

Sit around the pool. The Ruby has 5 pools. The Terrace Pool and the Lotus Spa pool are adults only. The Terrace Pool is a popular location.

Drink a lot. The Premium Beverage Package is $69/pp/day. The price includes the gratuity, nothing extra charged per drink. It includes all drinks menu priced at $12 and under which is about 95% of all drinks offered. The is a limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day, no limit on non alcoholic drinks. It can not be shared. You can read the complete details by searching Princess Cellars on line.

Relax in comfort. You may want the Sanctuary, you own reserved comfort lounge in a private area. $20/half day, $40/day, $30/day if you book entire cruise.

I've been on both ships on the Mex. Riv. itinerary. The food was excellent and the service was good on both cruises but the clientele is what was completely different. There was a very large portion of the passengers that were out of control. I mean completely out of control.

It was the worst when the under 21 passengers got ashore and were served alcohol. That's when all the trouble started. It was horrible. I don't think I'll ever do a Carnival cruise again simply because of the mentality of a good portion of their passengers.

If you enjoy drinking and partying, then Carnival is for you. If you want a quieter, more intimate, fun and friendly experience, go with Princess.

I have sailed on both ships to the MR--once on Splendor, a few years ago, and twice on the Ruby recently.

We are booked on Splendor for a Hawaii cruise in Oct. because we are taking our 5 year old granddaughter. DS wanted the CCL kids programs.

Splendor was ported here in SD last week so we drove down to show the GD. DH said the outside is pretty rusty.

We spent some time with passengers on that cruise who said it wasn't bad, but the MDR food was just so-so.

They also said the interior was well kept, no issues.

That said, we are older, quiet cruisers. Not boring, but we don't do pools, drink, or dance. :D Any of that on either line doesn't matter to us. The ship is important.

So-----our choice, no question, would be the Ruby.

Patti

Done both ...Ruby every time ...

We did Splendor in March as Ruby sold out SWARMING with badly behaved noisy kids . Atrium of the ship was used for paper plane flying etc every night before dinner ..no chance of a quiet drink .

On the PLUS side for Splendor Anytime Dining seemed a far less of a line ,also Serenity area no charge but get up there EARLY and do not leave your chosen spot.

I think it really boils down to the night time entertainment for you- Princess tends to be a slightly older, quieter crowd (however it seems the Princess crowd likes to dance)- Lots of 60s and 70s music and dancing. Carnival you will get a younger harder partying crowd and venues that stay open much later. My husband and I are just a little younger then the average Princess passenger (but catching up fast!) but we are not interested in the club scene and we love the educational lectures so it will always be Princess for us, but you have to decide what matters most to you on your vacation!

Thanks!

I wouldn't go on Carnival during Thanksgiving, as there will be lots of children on board. We've been on the Splendor, liked the ship but didn't like all the children running amock with no adult supervision. If you want to relax, go with Princess. We've been on the Ruby as well and it's a nice ship. However, if you want the party atmosphere go with Carnival.

Have sailed both ships out of Los Angeles. These are our experiences.

Pluses for the Splendor—-

Larger ocean view cabins,

larger showers

Younger crowd (attitude, if not age)

DJ plays current music.

Piano bar is interactive.

The Karaoke-its sing faster songs.

Pluses for the Ruby—-

Public rooms are beige and soothing.

Older crowd (attitude, if not age)

DJ plays slightly older music.

Piano bar is listening in the Atrium.

The Karaoke-its sing slower songs. My Way and Blue Suede Shoes

Food is very subjective. Princess has a great cheese selection on the buffet, Carnival has made to order sandwiches. Princess has the International Cafe open 24 hours. Carnival has pizza.

Both ships have outdoor movies, Splendor’s deck is more user friendly than the Ruby’s. Ruby’s pool is in the middle of the deck chairs, Splendor’s is towards the back.

Thanksgiving will have lots of families on either cruiseline.

Many say that the Splendor’s Spa is one of the best on the seas. Princess has the Adult only Sanctuary.