Port cancelled today on Breakaway -- does NCL offer compensation?

Hi all, first time NCL cruiser sitting here on board instead of touring Finland today. They cancelled the port this morning at about 9 am due to high winds and rough seas. Note that the AIDA Diva left Saint Petersburg on similar timing as the BA and is in the port in Helsinki as planned.

Does NCL offer compensation for missed ports ever? At least the Port charges? And do you need to ask for the port charge refund?

While we're having a fun vacation (and any day on vacation is better than working!!), between missing Finland and the port change from Stockholm to Nysasham (sp?) and therefore missing the sail through the Archipeligo, I'm note sure I'd recommend NCL's big ships for a Baltic cruise.

Thanks for any perspective on the compensation expectations.

Lynne

Your refund will be about the price of a t-shirt. Gotta wonder why anyone books the Baltic cruises with all the ports missed In the past. Will be doing the Baltic on a smaller ship, better odds of completion as scheduled.

the port change from Stockholm to Nysasham (sp?) and therefore missing the sail through the Archipeligo, I'm note sure I'd recommend NCL's big ships for a Baltic cruise.

I'm seriously considering this cruise next summer and just at the start of my research. Is it common to miss/change ports like this on that cruise?

Oh bummer!!!! From what I understand they only refund the port charges, which is minimal. Unfortunately it is stated in contract they can change or cancel a port for many reasons. Hope this doesn't happen to us

Your refund will be about the price of a t-shirt. Gotta wonder why anyone books the Baltic cruises with all the ports missed In the past. Will be doing the Baltic on a smaller ship, better odds of completion as scheduled.

I watched a video last night on YouTube from the Getaway back when it was doing the Baltic cruise. It was a tour/review of The Haven. I could not believe how bad the conditions were on the sundeck, courtyard, etc. Cold and windy. Not sure why anyone would book The Haven on cruises like that where many of the benefits cannot even be used.

I watched a video last night on YouTube from the Getaway back when it was doing the Baltic cruise. It was a tour/review of The Haven. I could not believe how bad the conditions were on the sundeck, courtyard, etc. Cold and windy. Not sure why anyone would book The Haven on cruises like that where many of the benefits cannot even be used.

What month was it? I'm thinking May would be much colder then July or August, then cold again late Sept into Oct

you wont be refunded anything but port fees.

helsinki was meh for us. we walked around doing the rick steve's guide. had we missed it, we'd have been ok. but of course, not knowing you dont realize this.

we had to miss Stockholm (and this was on Star, a much better size ship for this itinerary) due to fog. it happens.

Hi all, first time NCL cruiser sitting here on board instead of touring Finland today. They cancelled the port this morning at about 9 am due to high winds and rough seas. Note that the AIDA Diva left Saint Petersburg on similar timing as the BA and is in the port in Helsinki as planned.

Does NCL offer compensation for missed ports ever? At least the Port charges? And do you need to ask for the port charge refund?

While we're having a fun vacation (and any day on vacation is better than working!!), between missing Finland and the port change from Stockholm to Nysasham (sp?) and therefore missing the sail through the Archipeligo, I'm note sure I'd recommend NCL's big ships for a Baltic cruise.

Thanks for any perspective on the compensation expectations.

Lynne

Port charges will be reimbursed at the end of your cruise. They will show on your final statement. Otherwise, just like the air companies, there are no other refunds when there are changes due to weather. Be thankful the captain is looking out for you and the rest of the cruisers. Yes, it is disappointing. It has happened to us more than once. The biggest one was when we didn't get to go to NewFindland. We all wanted to see the puffins.

Thank you for writing about what happened. I wondered why the ship wenn by but the Aida went in.

We had this two times at Lanzarote and take a new try next year.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. We will follow mid july, same Route, so I am watching the ship daily...

Christina

What month was it? I'm thinking May would be much colder then July or August, then cold again late Sept into Oct

It was October.

To see it, search YouTube for “Leslieloo” and “NCL Getaway - The Haven Suites”. Very good, informative video about the assets of The Haven.

On the June 7th sailing it was cold most days. Maybe 2 nice days that people were outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather- who can predict. I was on the May 20th sailing and the weather was perfect. Sunny, warm, no wind, temperatures 20+C. 22, 23 in St Petersburg, Stockholm 24, same with Warnemunde and Helsinki 23. I stayed in Copenhagen for 5 more days and it was around 26-27. I guess we were lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Right, GA in the Baltics was not a good move. Having the BA there does make sense since it has the closing roof for Haven.

If you bought travel insurance, you MAY get some money back for the cancelation of the port. It depends on which policy and company you have.

My DH noticed a few years ago that the big ships have a harder time making it into ports. They’re the most fun to sail aboard IMO, but I guess they’re not ideal for certain conditions entering port.

I'm seriously considering this cruise next summer and just at the start of my research. Is it common to miss/change ports like this on that cruise?

Changes in ports are planned by the cruise line based on the ability of the port, local agent, and tour providers to service the ship.

Missed ports are dependent upon weather and sea conditions. No different than sailing the Caribbean during hurricane season. Some weeks you have good weather, some,,, not so much. Cruise lines never want to miss a port, but the safety of the passengers are the utmost importance.

If you bought travel insurance, you MAY get some money back for the cancelation of the port. It depends on which policy and company you have.

My DH noticed a few years ago that the big ships have a harder time making it into ports. They’re the most fun to sail aboard IMO, but I guess they’re not ideal for certain conditions entering port.

Don't know for sure, but doubt very seriously any insurance will cover cancelled ports.

Thank you for writing about what happened. I wondered why the ship wenn by but the Aida went in.

We had this two times at Lanzarote and take a new try next year.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. We will follow mid july, same Route, so I am watching the ship daily...

Christina

The Aida Divi is just under 70,000 tons. The Breakaway is over 145,000 tons. That probably had something to do with it. I'd imagine margins for error are bigger on smaller ships.