$500 per person upgrade to Penthouse?

Seas_Please

I've been getting occassional e-mails from Oceania saying I can upgrade to a Penthouse room for $500 per person. I have a balcony room on the concierge level on the Riveria ship at the moment. It that a really good deal to pay $1000 extra (wife and I) plus additional insurance for a Penthouse room? Is it that much better than a balcony room on the concierge level? I've never cruised with Oceania so I don't really have a feel for the ship or the rooms. What do you think?

I agree all around! Each of these posters are well traveled on O and I benefit from their advice. :-D

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk Beta 4

We have been in a PH 6 or 7 times on Oceania and have paid the full list price. Well, at least the 50% off less the other discounts which still comes to a lot. Would love to get a deal like this. Maybe one day if we book a less expensive cabin we would have a chance. Enjoy !!! :)

I've been getting occassional e-mails from Oceania saying I can upgrade to a Penthouse room for $500 per person. I have a balcony room on the concierge level on the Riveria ship at the moment. It that a really good deal to pay $1000 extra (wife and I) plus additional insurance for a Penthouse room? Is it that much better than a balcony room on the concierge level? I've never cruised with Oceania so I don't really have a feel for the ship or the rooms. What do you think?

You don't say how long your cruise is, or which ship you are sailing on (both of which make a DIFFERENCE), but in general the answer is YES, and those offers are time sensitive, so you might want to jump on it.

But the length of the cruise is unknown.

I agree that only you can decide if it is worth it for you.

I have been getting $500 pp upsell offers from our B4 to PH for our Med cruise in 3 weeks for at at least a month now. We opted not to pay the additional as this is a port intensive itinerary and we like to maximize our time in port. If it were a TA we likely would have taken the offer.

We have an extended balcony stateroom and are happy with that.

I am sure the suites of a PH would be very nice, but for us, just not worth it for this trip.

As others have said, only you can make the decision. However, for us, it would be a real bargain!

We LOVE the PH cabins on Marina, Riviera's sister ship. Half again as large as the concierge cabins, and the chairs/table at the end of the bed were the place we spent most of our in-cabin time when not sleeping or on the balcony.

Either way you decide. Enjoy your cruise.

Okay, I will be redundant. Why not?

Bear in mind we always book at least a PH if we can. So for US, this is a no brainer, especially at $500pp. It would have been much more if you'd book the PH at the outset.

Now, while we like the larger space in a PH (we don't use the butler all that much although we use him more than we used to) I am aware that there are people who don't think it's worth the extra cost for the extra space.

And only YOU can decide that for yourself.

On a port-intensive cruise, it probably isn't worth it IF the perks in general aren't worth it to you. (For us, it's the space.)

On a cruise with multiple sea days, it's very different.

By now it's probably too late if you haven't jumped already, however ... unless this cruise is very undersold ... as is the case with our upcoming Barcelona-Rio TA.

I assume (could always be wrong) that by the time people ask this question, the offer has been withdrawn.

If you are looking for an upsell, I'm not the first to say this: let your TA know that you would be receptive and if a tantalizing offer appears, grab it.

They do tend to disappear.

We got our first OS (also the last, I think) on such an offer and the $1K pp was WELL worth it, especially once I busted my knee and couldn't walk!

Mura

I guess I should have mentioned it's a 7 day cruise. Rome to Venice. Port intensive. No multiple days at sea. Good advice pro and con. Thanks!

Personally, although I loved having a butler (even more than having more space), I would not consider paying $1,000 more (for two) in your case. I think that is way too high for the difference between the categories you mentioned and for your likely hours of being both awake and onboard the ship!

You will have the opportunity to dine in specialty restaurants at least four nights of the seven-night cruise, and maybe more if you want, so I doubt you will need a butler to try to get you more reservations, and you are going to some lovely ports of call. Spend the money on shore excursions or to dine in those ports of call or on beverages of your choice.

Your voyage still has all categories of staterooms available to book even though it's less than three weeks away, so it is obviously very undersold. You may get a much better offer. :)

Another consideration IMO is the amount of disposable income one has. There are a good number of regular posters on this forum who state they regularly book PH or suites when cruising Oceania. There are others who book early to get one of the few inside and oceanview cabins.

We are in the second group and the affordability of this particular sailing was a factor in choosing Oceania over an independent land trip, which is our general preference for European travel. We do not care for the mass market, large ship experience and Oceania seems to fill a niche that is interesting to us. We will know in a few weeks if it is an experience we will want to repeat.

We have been receiving upsell offers to Concierge for 100pp but prefer to stick with our extended balcony as the benefits of Concierge are not particularly interesting to us.

The upsell offers to PH on our cruise started at 750pp and are now at 500pp. We are sailing with 5 other couples and one took advantage of the upgrade to PH when it was 750pp, one took an upsell to concierge from B3 for 250pp, one is booked in a GTY inside and is not considering any upsell offers, one in a GTY A1, which was an upsell offer 2 weeks ago from their GTY Oceanview for 300pp.

We can upgrade to an AI GTY for 100 person but the only reason we would even consider that is the potential for a upgrade to PH, since there are so many available. Based on what I have read on this forum over the past months, the chances of that happening are slim so I suspect we will continue to stick with what we have and enjoy the larger verandah.

There are a lot of open categories on our sailing so it will be interesting to see what happens over the course of the next 3 weeks until we sail.

Archived