Riviera on Code Red again

MVPinBoynton

We just got the announcement that the CDC has been notified that there are Gastro issues. Oh well, still OK. 11 cases so far.

Can't believe it. More than 3 months off and on. Something is very wrong somewhere!!!! :confused::confused::confused:

I wonder what is causing the problem on this ship! So strange after all Oceania has done to eradicate it.

I am so looking forward to your website report on this trip. With all your fantastic pictures, menus etc. Can't wait!!!

Lauren

I wonder what is causing the problem on this ship! So strange after all Oceania has done to eradicate it.

I am so looking forward to your website report on this trip. With all your fantastic pictures, menus etc. Can't wait!!!

Lauren

Thanks. With the lovely ports we are visiting, I hope I can do them justice. At this point Noro has not been mentioned. An off retold us that there were just 11 cases so far and they are waiting for test results to see what it is. Keeping our fingers crossed that it is just a simple gastro issue.

Lauren

PEOPLE

If the ship was clean & clear last cruise new people boarded on Sunday

it is not rocket science ...people are sick when they board

Yep here we go again. I'm on right now. I think one thing I would change on Oceania is to stop these hugh groups from boarding for the day. I know they need to do it for promos but jeez not with this crap going on. They should wait at least two or three sailings before they board these groups. Just my opinion.

Yep here we go again. I'm on right now. I think one thing I would change on Oceania is to stop these hugh groups from boarding for the day. I know they need to do it for promos but jeez not with this crap going on. They should wait at least two or three sailings before they board these groups. Just my opinion.

Did they have the TA tour/lunch ??

Makes you wonder how many TA's they have in Florida that they need to do these lunches every time the ship is in port

They could limit them to 1 per year

To top it off, today is the Mexican buffet lunch. This could add to some folks stomach issues. :D

I am so sorry for you. :( We enjoy your reviews and practically follow your advice verbatim! You deserve a nice cruise. :)

;) With a 12-48 hour incubation period, they may not know they are sick when boarding, but so unusual to have 11 sick at the same time when the cruise started on Sunday.

Edited by Iamthesea

I am so sorry for you. :( We enjoy your reviews and practically follow your advice verbatim! You deserve a nice cruise. :)

;) With a 12-48 hour incubation period, they may not know they are sick when boarding, but so unusual to have 11 sick at the same time when the cruise started on Sunday.

Thanks so much. We are thoroughly enjoying this cruise and the extra precautions won't take away from what should continue to be a great cruise.

A friend that was on the last cruise did tell us that there were a large group of TA's on for lunch on turnaround day. There has been a lot of gastro issues around south Florida, so I am sure it was brought onboard. The staff are still very helpful and still smiling.

A few days before our March 13th cruise we got a call from an Oceania sales manager asking if he could show our Oceania suite to some people after we boarded. We gave him a resounding no. Why would I want a number of strangers walking around our suite especially in these days of concern about contagion?

Last year an Oceania employee came to our suite right after we boarded with the same request. He was standing there with a group of people and we sent him away.

I guess I should feel better that they called this year in advance but somehow I don't.

A few days before our March 13th cruise we got a call from an Oceania sales manager asking if he could show our Oceania suite to some people after we boarded. We gave him a resounding no. Why would I want a number of strangers walking around our suite especially in these days of concern about contagion?

Last year an Oceania employee came to our suite right after we boarded with the same request. He was standing there with a group of people and we sent him away.

I guess I should feel better that they called this year in advance but somehow I don't.

I was really PO'd on our March 13 Riviera cruise because when we boarded at 11, and were allowed to go directly to our Vista Suite, there was a very large group touring our suite. I was really pissed about that and told the person from Guest Services that this was not appropriate. There were about 17 people in this group, who were on board to do some pre-planning for an upcoming college alumni cruise in 2017.

I was really PO'd on our March 13 Riviera cruise because when we boarded at 11, and were allowed to go directly to our Vista Suite, there was a very large group touring our suite. I was really pissed about that and told the person from Guest Services that this was not appropriate. There were about 17 people in this group, who were on board to do some pre-planning for an upcoming college alumni cruise in 2017.

Not acceptable to have a group in your suite after it has been "hopefully" cleaned for your arrival. I am shocked to hear this happened. I would say no to a group tour also if asked.

.Cruise agents were guests for tour and lunch almost every port in Asia, SP and islands.I think crew may have some responsibility for Noro. That and cruisers are not being forced to sanitize before dining. They just walk by. Seniors are lazy about this I have noticed .I think most Noro goes unreported due to fears of quaranty.I feel Celebrity is more proactive on Noro issue.

We were on the March 13th cruise. Very late Sunday evening after we arrived home, my husband became ill. At first we chalked it up to the Chipotle burrito he had for dinner, as he has an extremely sensitive stomach that seems to respond quickly (and unfortunately) to foods not to his liking. But I have a friend in public health that says it's more likely gastro, because something in the burrito would have taken longer to show up. That was news to me--I always thought if you ate something bad, you got sick within a couple hours.

If it is gastro, we were in Belize Thursday and Cozumel Friday, and did excursions that included lunch and beverages, so with the timing he could have gotten it off the ship, too.

ETA: He wasn't 100% today but has had no episodes since last night. Yesterday morning was just awful for him! Since I didn't get sick, he still thinks it was something he ate, but of course I've seen posts here where only one person in a couple gets it.

Edited by hiccups

PEOPLE

You are right, it is not rocket science, but I think you have the science part wrong. The only constant here is the crew. They were on the ship before and are mostly still there. That is where they should be looking.

You are right, it is not rocket science, but I think you have the science part wrong. The only constant here is the crew. They were on the ship before and are mostly still there. That is where they should be looking.

Where was the crew while the ship was clear of Noro? :D

PEOPLE

Why are passengers so often blamed in Cruise Critic forums (all lines)? If you read CDC reports, it's very clear that crew members often (perhaps usually) work full shifts while ill and report to medical only after their shift is over.

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

We were on the March 13th cruise. Very late Sunday evening after we arrived home, my husband became ill. At first we chalked it up to the Chipotle burrito he had for dinner, as he has an extremely sensitive stomach that seems to respond quickly (and unfortunately) to foods not to his liking. But I have a friend in public health that says it's more likely gastro, because something in the burrito would have taken longer to show up.

I have had dodgy Chinese take away & with in a few hours have been struck down

it depends on what it is & your own body resistance

Why are passengers so often blamed in Cruise Critic forums (all lines)? If you read CDC reports, it's very clear that crew members often (perhaps usually) work full shifts while ill and report to medical only after their shift is over.

Usually you will find it is passengers come on & lying on the form because they do not want to be quarantined or put off the ship because they did not buy insurance

The same crew were on the ship last week but no cases of Noro so what changed ???

We were on the March 13th cruise. Very late Sunday evening after we arrived home, my husband became ill. At first we chalked it up to the Chipotle burrito he had for dinner, as he has an extremely sensitive stomach that seems to respond quickly (and unfortunately) to foods not to his liking. But I have a friend in public health that says it's more likely gastro, because something in the burrito would have taken longer to show up. That was news to me--I always thought if you ate something bad, you got sick within a couple hours.

If it is gastro, we were in Belize Thursday and Cozumel Friday, and did excursions that included lunch and beverages, so with the timing he could have gotten it off the ship, too.

ETA: He wasn't 100% today but has had no episodes since last night. Yesterday morning was just awful for him! Since I didn't get sick, he still thinks it was something he ate, but of course I've seen posts here where only one person in a couple gets it.

Coincidentally, I was also on the Mar 13-20 cruise and also got very sick Sunday evening after we touched down in Ottawa, thankfully it was not in midair. We did not go on any shore excursions nor did I eat the Mexican fare. My spouse did not get sick. Whether it was noro virus or something else, it was severe. So my assumption is that noro virus was present on Riviera at some point during our cruise. I was diligent in washing and sanitizing but what I wondered about was the cleaning cloths used to clean the cabins. I noticed that they were shared amongst the cabins in a bucket with cleaning solution. I also noticed staff in the Waves and Terrace Café touching their faces and particularly their noses and then carrying on with their duties without sanitizing.

We were on the March 13th sailing on deck 11 and there was a cabin on our deck where the door was sealed closed with security tape. The butler and cabin attendant said that those passengers were ill and would not be allowed out of their cabin until the doctor certified them well. Anyone entering with food, etc. was to take quarantine precautions. Of course they are contagous before becoming ill, but illness on board was never mentioned by anyone. Good luck to us all.

Not sure what the answer is but this is an area that has to be looked at. They need the crew to operate the ship, but after the cruise is over they don't need the passengers anymore. If it turns out that some of the crew are to blame than the cruise line has a major problem. On the 2/12 cruise that came back early more than 10% of the passengers were sick and only 3 or 6 of the crew. Does not seem to be true by a long shot. Is someone in management telling the crew not to report? Would like to find out.

Are there guidelines for the crew as there are for passengers when a gastro illness develops? Some posters here say they will get fired if they hide symptoms. Others say they fear losing their job if they "call in sick". My gut (excuse terminology) tells me that passengers bring on the noro inadvertently or not, but that the crew members play a big part in its spread. Who else touches our food, spends time in our cabins, and remain on the ship cruise after cruise. Additionally, 11 cases is not the % that the CDC uses to claim a ship is sick. I will be watching the daily posts. We don't board until April 11, but with a cruise with mostly sea days, noro is a much feared stowaway!