Pride of America Hawaii Questions

charlie52

My daughter and son in law are considering POA for a seven day cruise after his convention is over on Oahu. They have come to us for advice as they do not cruise at all ... I am not sure how to advise... We sail mostly on Celebrity and I have little knowledge of NCL... My concerns are mostly the age of the ship. My daughter likes shiny new things and I have never sailed on this ship so I have no reference... any thoughts from those that have been on her?

If she hasn't been on any newer ships she will have nothing to compare it to. I too like the shiny new things and have been on many new mega ships but I thought this was a lovely ship. It is a great way to get a taste of all the islands especially since they are already there.

Think of it as a floating hotel with meals included. Being so port intensive she probably won't be spending much time on board at all.

Also, most people rent cars for each port and explore on their own. My parents, on the other hand, enjoyed taking public buses to beaches and interesting sites.

Hope they have a great time.

It’s a great cruise. While she is not as “new and shiny” as some others..... she has her Pride:-)

Seriously it has a very Patriotic feel that is a reminder to our great country. Btw always been great ;-)

Kerri

I was not a fan of the POA. Food was mediocre in the MDR (I’m not a food snob....it was just very bland) and the ship is pretty old. However, that itinerary is amazing. The crew was great. I would do it again in a heartbeat! If she has no frame of reference she will not be disappointed w this ship at all

I would not, and DO NOT recommend the POA. I just cruised the POA 6-2 through 6-9. I have taken quite a few NCL cruises. The POA was the worst. Hawaii was beautiful. Really port intensive. The cruise staff was rude and uncaring, which is opposite of any NCL cruise that I have ever taken. First minute in our cabin, we noticed blonde strands of hair on our pillow, trash can not emptied, and a used sharps container in the bathroom. Took staff two days to empty the trash and remove the sharps container. Again, I would avoid the POA. In my opinion, the POA staff/experience is not typical of NCL. I wrote three letters to the president of NCL, and I sent a complaint to customer relations. To date, no response from anyone.

I would not, and DO NOT recommend the POA. I just cruised the POA 6-2 through 6-9. I have taken quite a few NCL cruises. The POA was the worst. Hawaii was beautiful. Really port intensive. The cruise staff was rude and uncaring, which is opposite of any NCL cruise that I have ever taken. First minute in our cabin, we noticed blonde strands of hair on our pillow, trash can not emptied, and a used sharps container in the bathroom. Took staff two days to empty the trash and remove the sharps container. Again, I would avoid the POA. In my opinion, the POA staff/experience is not typical of NCL. I wrote three letters to the president of NCL, and I sent a complaint to customer relations. To date, no response from anyone.

I say total bs! Also see post approx 10 down by Salem615

We went on POA years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would go again in a heartbeat. The itinerary was the highlight, but the ship was a better experience than any hotel. Sailing by the Napaali Coast was something I will always remember.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We loved our recent cruise on June 9th. True the ship is old and the cabins are tiny (we had a balcony) but we looked at it as many others as just a floating hotel. Our cabin was always cleaned twice a day and the ship IMHO was clean and upkeep in the public areas usually going on. Since it was three generations we each decided on where to have meals and was never disappointed. I had a few bumps with NCL over a canceled cruise and was so-so about this cruise. Needless to say, I was surprised at high points. We ate Platinum dinners in Cagney's and my steak was cooked to perfection and La Cucina was good. My granddaughter loved Cadillac Diner so we ate there three nights. Every day we had a new island except for the Big Island Kauai. I would recommend this to anyone who would enjoy a nice floating hotel.

The POA had an extensive dry dock in March 2016 during which the entire ship was redone from top to bottom including all public areas and staterooms. We sailed on her immediately after, and it was essentially a brand new ship, so you have no worries there.

You are docked at Maui for two days, not one. The ship also stays at the Big Island AND Kauai for two days each, as they are two separate islands.

Sorry, I was not clear. I forgot all about the days in Maui. Hawaii was one-day on Hilo east side and then back on the ship for the next day of one-day Kailua-Kona on the west side. Kauai about 1 1/2 days since the ship disembarked at 2pm.

We are due to cruise on the POA on 25 August. Does anyone know if the shore excursions have been affected for the Big Island due to the volcanic activity?

Welcome to CC.

Cancelled. Since the ship has not been calling regularly at Hilo or Kona.

Welcome to CC.

Cancelled. Since the ship has not been calling regularly at Hilo or Kona.

Not all excursions. We sail on July 14. Right now the excursions around the volcano and Volcano National Park are cancelled but they are still offering some for Hilo. Kong’s have not been affected so far. This is based on the notices we’ve received from NCL.

Not all excursions. We sail on July 14. Right now the excursions around the volcano and Volcano National Park are cancelled but they are still offering some for Hilo. Kong’s have not been affected so far. This is based on the notices we’ve received from NCL.

Oops, Kona’s. (Auto spellcheck, ugh!)

Be careful how you phrase that, as our Visitors Bureau may have collective heart failure from that one if taken literally. They think the often named "Best Island In The World" can never be forgotten in any way.

;)I would never turn down a free vacation for myself and family to Maui to point out all the reasons to never forget Maui and why they are often named the best island. ;)

We are booked in 2020 for daughters graduation! Deluxe owners suite. Love NCL and Haven. Any tips for POA- keep posting.❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure if a general statement about Haven but POA has no Haven.