Monaco Grand Prix 2019

AzFab

Hi to everyone,

I am a newbie to cruise critic,... but having done 10 Azamaras, I do know I love my Azamara cruises!

Thinking of doing the Monaco Grand Prix Cruise in 2019, does anyone know the prices for an Azamara land discovery packages for the main GP on the Sunday? Is this more than just a ticket in the stands?

Secondly I think it is best from Monaco, but others say Villefranche works well too?

Appreciate your views....

We did this years Monaco Grand Prix from Azamara Journey specifically because it was in Monaco for both race day and qualifying. We looked at Azamara’s package, in fact we originally booked it, but our travel agent offered a much better package at over £1000 (for 2) less.

The Azamara package gave seats in Tribune K by the harbour and little else from we could see. We were in Tribune T High opposite the pits which was good for pit action and celebrity spotting but not much track although we were directly in front of a big screen, there was also commentary. Food and drinks available below the stand were good value, €4 for a beer, €2 for a coffee and I think €3 for a baguette.

As the main port is closed we were tendered into Port Fontvieille which was about a 20 minutes walk into the track. Tender conditions were a little challenging this year as there was a swell but it just added a little time to the journey. Port Fontvielle was extremely busy as there were 5 ships tendering into 3 tender docks but again it just needed a little patience. Traffic was very busy as so many roads are closed we saw other ships were being bussed in from Villefranche but I’m sure we were back on Journey well before they had even boarded their buses.

We took a packed lunch from the ship, you just have to ask in advance, you are not allowed to take glass bottles or cans trackside and all bags are searched.

If you have any other questions we would be happy to try and answer them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the info Carol & John... I think we met on a turquoise cost cruise (and shared the odd drink or 2 at the sunset bar), and again at the UK Christmas 'do'?? Or maybe there is another 'Carol & John' out there...

Can you remember what the Az price was for their tour, and if you don't mind sharing what you paid (rough figures would do). I am thinking of the Az option, as Mike is not that bothered about going to the see the race, and I might do it on my own, and the Az option would be more sociable for me. Did you go to the practice as well??

Next year Pursuit does a 5 day including Villefranche, Journey visits Monaco for 10 nights at almost twice the price... Also looking at Silver Shadow too which has a good deal until the end of June. But whatever cruise option we pick, the GP costs need to be factored in too!

Thanks for your help...Lesley

Riocca has given an excellent response, I would add that you can buy your own grandstand tickets through the Auto Club of Monaco.

https://www.formula1monaco.com/

and if you register in advance they will email when tickets go on sale, Tribune T is where the Paddock Club guests have seats and it is a pretty good location, the top few rows of seats are in the shade, either a good or bad thing depending on your point of view, expect to pay around 500Euro each for a race day seat.

One last point if you dont buy a grandstand seat the only viewing point is Rocher where you will be clinging to the hill side surrounded by Italians, assuming you can even find a spot to sit/stand

Thanks for the info Carol & John... I think we met on a turquoise cost cruise (and shared the odd drink or 2 at the sunset bar), and again at the UK Christmas 'do'?? Or maybe there is another 'Carol & John' out there...

Can you remember what the Az price was for their tour, and if you don't mind sharing what you paid (rough figures would do). I am thinking of the Az option, as Mike is not that bothered about going to the see the race, and I might do it on my own, and the Az option would be more sociable for me. Did you go to the practice as well??

Next year Pursuit does a 5 day including Villefranche, Journey visits Monaco for 10 nights at almost twice the price... Also looking at Silver Shadow too which has a good deal until the end of June. But whatever cruise option we pick, the GP costs need to be factored in too!

Thanks for your help...Lesley

That was August 2016 if we remember correctly, and another excellent Azamara cruise.

Have looked at the pricing we booked the 2 day package so Qualifying and Race day, when we booked the Azamara price was £1150pp although this went up to nearer £1400pp after Brexit. Our travel agent charged £715 for High T, face value of the tickets were €210 for Saturday and €550 for Sunday so it would pay to buy direct. As has been said back rows in High T are not only covered but have a cooling breeze, we were under cover so it was fine when it rained on Sunday but Saturday afternoon it got extremely hot in the full sun. Tribune K has no shelter at all so we were very happy with our travel agents recommendation.

Understand the hesitation doing it on your own but it really was very easy the Tribunes are well signed and basically you just need to follow the crowds.

This was our view:

674a0e7dd995fdd8b9cee6964f7e7295.jpg

That was August 2016 if we remember correctly, and another excellent Azamara cruise.

Have looked at the pricing we booked the 2 day package so Qualifying and Race day, when we booked the Azamara price was £1150pp although this went up to nearer £1400pp after Brexit. Our travel agent charged £715 for High T, face value of the tickets were €210 for Saturday and €550 for Sunday so it would pay to buy direct. As has been said back rows in High T are not only covered but have a cooling breeze, we were under cover so it was fine when it rained on Sunday but Saturday afternoon it got extremely hot in the full sun. Tribune K has no shelter at all so we were very happy with our travel agents recommendation.

Understand the hesitation doing it on your own but it really was very easy the Tribunes are well signed and basically you just need to follow the crowds.

This was our view:

674a0e7dd995fdd8b9cee6964f7e7295.jpg

Riocca is right, I went to the Historic GP this year for a change and went in Stand V which is opposite the pit entrance and the beginning of the main straight. Whilst the view is good, seeing the cars as they pass by and roar up the main straight, there is no shade at all, Stand T is much better and as he says, getting a seat high up is essential. I bought my tickets direct from the Automobile Club of Monaco, and on this occasion, the Quest tendered into Fontville which was an easy walk to the circuit.

Not sure what it would be like being bussed in from Villefranche, probably very busy, especially on Race day.

Riocca is right, I went to the Historic GP this year for a change and went in Stand V which is opposite the pit entrance and the beginning of the main straight. Whilst the view is good, seeing the cars as they pass by and roar up the main straight, there is no shade at all, Stand T is much better and as he says, getting a seat high up is essential. I bought my tickets direct from the Automobile Club of Monaco, and on this occasion, the Quest tendered into Fontville which was an easy walk to the circuit.

Not sure what it would be like being bussed in from Villefranche, probably very busy, especially on Race day.

Thanks Steve!

"We took a packed lunch from the ship, you just have to ask in advance, you are not allowed to take glass bottles or cans trackside and all bags are searched.

If you have any other questions we would be happy to try and answer them".

Hey Riocca, here's one for you that really has nothing to do with the GP package but perhaps you can enlighten. If an Azamara passenger asks a day or so in advance for a 'packed lunch' to carry ashore at a port call other than at Monaco for the GP will the request be honored?

I've got some longish bus rides coming up for some shore excursions on our Med cruise this September where a little refueling [on the run] might be a nice option.

"We took a packed lunch from the ship, you just have to ask in advance, you are not allowed to take glass bottles or cans trackside and all bags are searched.

If you have any other questions we would be happy to try and answer them".

Hey Riocca, here's one for you that really has nothing to do with the GP package but perhaps you can enlighten. If an Azamara passenger asks a day or so in advance for a 'packed lunch' to carry ashore at a port call other than at Monaco for the GP will the request be honored?

I've got some longish bus rides coming up for some shore excursions on our Med cruise this September where a little refueling [on the run] might be a nice option.

We didn’t have a problem, there are limited things that they can provide due to health & hygiene and of course in some countries there are strict regulations about food being taken onshore.

We just asked the night before and it was delivered with our breakfast in the morning. Haven’t had need of a packed lunch before but we understand others have without any problems.