Photographers on Princess

Taer al Saefer

My mom and aunt are both the type of people where if you didn’t take a photo of it, it didn’t happen. I’m more the type to take a photo here and there for Instagram, but I enjoy experiencing the item more than posing for a photo. That being said, we did purchase the photo package which ended up being a great deal...because those two walked away with 107 pictures. I’m not kidding.

I took a few too, but my issue is with the photographers and the posing. Every place we went they told us how to pose - clasping hands, back to back, hand on hips, folding arms back to back...if I posted these anywhere on reddit or Facebook we would become a meme. They’re AWFUL, it looks like a bad JCPenneys advertisement from 1992. Is this on all the ships or were our photogs just overzealous? The non posed photos were greatand casual, but its these posed portraits that are just dreadful. My aunt literally has one of her making a “thoughtful” pose with her fist balled up under her chin looking into the distance.

Edited by Taer al Saefer
CANT SPELL

The pose that irks me (and I tell them this every time)...if I am in my suit or tux, I don't stand with my hand partially in my pants pocket. It ruins the line the the suit. But...they have been brow-beaten to have us stand that way. No way!

Jim

My mom and aunt are both the type of people where if you didn’t take a photo of it, it didn’t happen. I’m more the type to take a photo here and there for Instagram, but I enjoy experiencing the item more than posing for a photo. That being said, we did purchase the photo package which ended up being a great deal...because those two walked away with 107 pictures. I’m not kidding.

I took a few too, but my issue is with the photographers and the posing. Every place we went they told us how to pose - clasping hands, back to back, hand on hips, folding arms back to back...if I posted these anywhere on reddit or Facebook we would become a meme. They’re AWFUL, it looks like a bad JCPenneys advertisement from 1992. Is this on all the ships or were our photogs just overzealous? The non posed photos were greatand casual, but its these posed portraits that are just dreadful. My aunt literally has one of her making a “thoughtful” pose with her fist balled up under her chin looking into the distance.

Get use to it , they make lots of $$$$.

I totally understand what you mean and agree mostly with it. If you like natural poses then tell them this is how you are and to take the photo or move on. That is if you are going through and buying the photo.

I do think all of the photographers on their ships are totally incompetent and unprofessional. They have no imagination or creativity whatsoever and do nothing but cringe worthy photos. They treat grown adults like children and deliberately set out to waste your valuable time when you are leaving the ship and they hijack the gangway and block the exits for their very childish photo shots of grown adults posing with fury animals, pirates or some other ridiculous gimmick. I just walk straight past that BS as I do not have time for BS in my life. If they did something creative then they would definitely have my attention. It is a sad fact when the best they have to offer are judged like this and by others.

Remember they are YOUR photos so if you do not like the way they pose you tell them so. Also nothing says you have to buy them. Haven't bought a photo in years.

If you don't like the photo don't buy it and don't use the same photographer again.

With the photo package you get a copy of every photo you are in, so it is not a matter of not buying them. You have prepaid for them. So you would like them not to have unflattering poses.

Ahh, the art of dogging ship photographers.

Get up at O' Dark 30, rush to the air port, deal with TSA searches, fly sardine class while more airport rushing, more sardine class, stand out in heat waiting for transportation to ship and then the photographer wants to record what you look like when you board ship. Forget it buddy.

With this said we just went on a cruise for our 50th Anniversary. So she who must be obeyed said we would get some photos this cruise.

Now, Cruise, weddings, or any family get together I refuse to tilt my head over at the demand of the photographer. Makes me look like I have already been into the drink package and can not stand up.

Same with sticking hand in pocket. Don't want to look like I am preforming a questionable act.

So, after some arguing with several ship photographers we did finally come home with a memorable photo of us on a Cruise. And, my wallet was a lot lighter. :Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Bob

If you do not want to pose in a certain way .... then don’t.

However, getting on and off the ship I now ALWAYS let them take my photo (although I never purchase them) because (I have been reliably informed) that they have a quota and have to meet that quota or stand there for another hour or so. This is sometimes in the freezing cold or scorching heat and sometimes in a stupid costume. However this is not their fault. So how about pausing for a quick moment, let them do their job and then scurry away. Photographers do what they’re told, not necessarily what they want ..... so be kind and take a minute out of your day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

However, getting on and off the ship I now ALWAYS let them take my photo (although I never purchase them) because (I have been reliably informed) that they have a quota and have to meet that quota or stand there for another hour or so. This is sometimes in the freezing cold or scorching heat and sometimes in a stupid costume. However this is not their fault. So how about pausing for a quick moment, let them do their job and then scurry away. Photographers do what they’re told, not necessarily what they want ..... so be kind and take a minute out of your day.

First you sound like a very kind and genuine person. You are putting others before yourself:)

These people have chosen this as their job and are being paid, just like the persons in port who are trying to push a flyer into your hand or drag you to a timeshare presentation. I do value my time on vacation more than the people who are hired to inconvenience me in order to take my $$:rolleyes:

I think a quick "no thank you" as we pass is sufficient. The sales people at the art auctions and jewelry stores also have quotas. As in almost any sales position, if you do not sell enough to justify your wage you are let go.

I am sure there are photographers of varying skill level who take very nice, well posed photos. We usually cruise on Oceania (they don't have photographers onboard) we have not been impressed by photos on HAL or Celebrity.

I can see you haven't experienced that many photographers. :rolleyes:

All they do is jam up the walkways & slow down the people trying to get off the ship at times.

All they do is jam up the walkways & slow down the people trying to get off the ship at times.

On the contrary, I’ve just finished my 65th cruise and have nearly 1200 days at sea. I’ve learnt to be considerate of the crew (including the photographers) who maintain smiles no matter with what or with whom they’re dealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are definitely visible, but I've rarely seen them jam up much of anything. I just walk around them. And sometimes they can actually yield a chuckle or two when they have some personalities.

They are definitely visible, but I've rarely seen them jam up much of anything. I just walk around them.

When they are on the dock away from the gangways it is quick and easy to bypass them. But when they are taking their photos of people still on the gangway the entire line is held up as the photos are taken.

Obviously people buy these pictures, or the photographers wouldn't be there.

If we want a formal portrait, then we'll head to a studio near home for a sitting. At least I can request a bit more air-brush on the facial lines and not be featured in front of a Titanic stairway.

When we first started cruising, we did purchase the welcome photo and a few taken at the various ports, maybe one or two dining room pictures. Back then, even on a pseudo-budget, we never considered the individual cost prohibitive. Now it seems the cost of pictures has risen as rapidly at the port taxes. In addition, what am I going to do with a bunch of 5x7 pictures - put them in a folder or box and store them away on a shelf?

We now do our best to say "no, thank you" and keep walking. Last year when we were on a 14-night Norway cruise, the photographers were overly aggressive to the point of grabbing passengers as they got off tenders or emerging from a gangway that was over crowded. When I was pulled aside for a posed picture be some animal character, I lost all sense of politeness. I agree with a previous post about the stalled lines. I saw a sign indicating no more than 12 people on the gang way, but was nervously counting over 20 while photographers went about their business.

Ah, those "creature" pictures! On our recent British Isles cruise, a New England lobster was waiting for us at one of the ports in Ireland. Maybe that was better than Jack Sparrow. On this particular cruise, we were traveling with friends and family, so we decided to do the welcome photo as a group. A few days later, we searched the photo gallery [it does take time when they all look similar], found the picture and then stood in line to pay - yikes - $35, No way! I wish they would post the cost of pictures, and packages with specific details. In addition, given the technology, they can reduce the photo gallery size by having all pictures stored on digital and ordered through cabin TV - other lines do that. Time for Princess to forget their medallion and be environmentally friendly and avoid the multitude of unsold pictures that adorn the gallery walls during disembarkation.

I still liked the server at the Crown Grille, who used my camera to take a few group pictures of us. He handed the camera back to me and said, "Cheaper than photographers." He got a very nice tip.

Oh, my last purchased cruise picture was a key fob, DH and I in formal attire - taken on the SS Norway.

Darcy

On the contrary, I’ve just finished my 65th cruise and have nearly 1200 days at sea. I’ve learnt to be considerate of the crew (including the photographers) who maintain smiles no matter with what or with whom they’re dealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're obviously much more tolerant than myself.

They are definitely visible, but I've rarely seen them jam up much of anything. I just walk around them. And sometimes they can actually yield a chuckle or two when they have some personalities.

Yes, I walk around them also but they set up a gauntlet at embarkation and when exiting the ship that creates a bottle neck which causes backups just trying to get around them.

On board all the ships they create bottle necks on formal nights taking photo's when people are just trying to get past them.

I realize there isn't much space to setup their backdrops and if they did so in the photography area they wouldn't sell as many photo's.

Just for a laugh a few years ago, I took aside one of the photographer and said “please don’t take pictures of my husband because he’s in a witness protection program”. He’s not by the way [emoji15][emoji15]

Well, every time they saw him they lowered their cameras and gave us a wry smile.

However it didn’t take long for other passengers to catch on and try the same thing so it doesn’t work anymore.

Just for a laugh a few years ago, I took aside one of the photographer and said “please don’t take pictures of my husband because he’s in a witness protection program”. He’s not by the way [emoji15][emoji15]

Well, every time they saw him they lowered their cameras and gave us a wry smile.

However it didn’t take long for other passengers to catch on and try the same thing so it doesn’t work anymore.

You could have said you were both there on an extramarital affair and you do not want evidence left for your family. That would have been hilarious and well worth it for their reaction.