Is the 'Birthday Decorations' Princess Gift worth the price?

AhoyGryffindor

Ahoy Gang!

Has anyone ever purchased the $49 Birthday Decorations gift? If so, did you think it was worth it?

It's supposed to come with:

• 2 hanging garlands
  • Upgraded door sign
  • Nautical photo hanger
  • Decorative mirror cling
  • Balloons

The picture Princess has is not the greatest. I still don't know what a 'nautical hanger' is, or where these balloons are supposed to be. I called Princess customer service and no one had any further insight. Grrrrreat. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this, and if it's worth it.

Thanks a bunch!

IMHO, no. $49 for what you can purchase at the Dollar Store for maybe $5. For birthdays and anniversaries, Princess gives you a door hanger that says Happy Anniversary or Birthday. Do you really want your room cluttered with those decorations for $49? That would about pay for dinner at the Steak House.

My wife LOVED her surprise decorations.

I had them delivered on embarkation day, which means they get installed later in the day.

Our steward had just returned from vacation and this was his first day back on board. He admitted that it was a bit difficult for him since this was his first time installing them. Not pictured is the mirror cling and door sign, which is larger than the free signs.

6633214c8e93d892adb7014a93d5da09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

• Like 1

go to the $ store - spend about $ 8

order a nice 'birthday bouquet' from the Princess flower shop to be in the room when you arrive..

we've gotten flowers twice now - a 'tropical' arrangement on a 5 day cruise ( too short )

and a lily arrangement on our last 7 day - still looked amazing on day 7

my wife absolutely hated to walk out of those rooms the last day of both cruises and not being able to take them with us

You will get a sign an balloons for free ( also a nice desert at dinner if you have traditional dining). Go to the dollar store before hand and get any other decorations you may want.

We had anytime dining on the Ruby, and we received a card to take to the MDR when we wanted our special dessert.

You will get a sign an balloons for free ( also a nice desert at dinner if you have traditional dining). Go to the dollar store before hand and get any other decorations you may want.

This is exactly what I did. It was all light weight and a lot less costly than $49.

The freebies from Princess are the birthday sign (small), balloons, and desert.

IMHO, the paid Princess package is not worth $50. Or put another way, I can get a lot better birthday gift for that money than a few pieces of plastic.

Edited by moki'smommy

go to the $ store - spend about $ 8

order a nice 'birthday bouquet' from the Princess flower shop to be in the room when you arrive..

we've gotten flowers twice now - a 'tropical' arrangement on a 5 day cruise ( too short )

and a lily arrangement on our last 7 day - still looked amazing on day 7

my wife absolutely hated to walk out of those rooms the last day of both cruises and not being able to take them with us

My cruise planner often sends me flowers. If I am not on a b2b I usually have met someone on the second cruise and offer the arrangement to that person. They are thrilled for the flowers. My favorite couple I ever gave flowers to were on a b2b second leg that was going Trans Atlantic to England where they lived. The flowers were still in good shape and they were delighted to have them in their room. I was happy because they were going to be enjoyed and not thrown away before their time.

Sali

LOL....once again a person is asking a question and only one person has had an experience with the request, but everyone else throws in their dollar store comments....:evilsmile::halo:;p without knowing what the package even is...

Some people like the convenience of Princess doing the work....Cinegraphic..thanks for posting a photo..certainly is helpful...I am glad she was surprised! It is hard to decorate a room and surprise someone when you are traveling with them. Love your own decorations....

I would personally go with a floral arrangement....OMG...I am not answering the OP's question....:evilsmile::rolleyes:

The surprise was priceless, even for someone nearly 60 years old. Having someone else decorate the room and not having to drive to the party store or dollar store was well worth the price for us.

• Like 1

LOL....once again a person is asking a question and only one person has had an experience with the request, but everyone else throws in their dollar store comments....:evilsmile::halo:;p without knowing what the package even is...

Some people like the convenience of Princess doing the work....Cinegraphic..thanks for posting a photo..certainly is helpful...I am glad she was surprised! It is hard to decorate a room and surprise someone when you are traveling with them. Love your own decorations....

I would personally go with a floral arrangement....OMG...I am not answering the OP's question....:evilsmile::rolleyes:

There are always flowers in our cabin when we board, it's one of the first things I order after booking a cruise.

They are worth every scent. (pun intended)

The top sign is the free one everyone gets upon request, then our own decorations and the bottom sign is part of the paid package.133ad540e63e370ceaca3ddbd5163a1f.jpg

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience and pics!

Did you get extra or different balloons from what the standard free princess cruise already gives? Can you tell which decoration was the nautical photo hanger (mystified by that one).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience and pics!

Did you get extra or different balloons from what the standard free princess cruise already gives? Can you tell which decoration was the nautical photo hanger (mystified by that one).

I don’t think we got any balloons until they set up the package. So I’m not sure if the balloons are free anymore.

The nautical photo hanger is the one going across the bed. You can replace the cards in the clips with photos if you wish to personalize it. It’s rope with wooden clothes pins with the princess logo on them. The ends have two magnets so it can be attached to the ceiling.

The static mirror cling said something like, smile, it’s your birthday, or, look who’s birthday it is....I really don’t remember.

There are always flowers in our cabin when we board, it's one of the first things I order after booking a cruise.

They are worth every scent. (pun intended)

You order flowers, decorations, probably made the door decorations with your names on them and lay claim to being Voive of the Ocean more than once.......creative guy..... what other tricks do you have up your sleeve.....don't tell us u do magic too....?

;)

Glad u are living life to the fullest.....and I agree, it's okay to let the ship recover some refundable OBC or make a little money off us....life is to short to protect all our nickles and dimes....I think some of us are actually doing that, by cruising princess in the first place....

Edited by land lover

We got the free balloons but after a day they fell off the ceiling in front of the door. People kicked them about. The nice gesture was okay along with the door signs. But I wouldn't want DH nor would I order anything to decorate the room. A night in the Steakhouse is fine with us. Don't knock the Dollar Store, you can find some neat things in there to take on a cruise. I bought some bracelets and necklaces that lit up and I gave them to the room stewards to have fun with. They wore them around until the lights gave out.

You order flowers, decorations, probably made the door decorations with your names on them and lay claim to being Voive of the Ocean more than once.......creative guy..... what other tricks do you have up your sleeve.....don't tell us u do magic too....?

;)

Glad u are living life to the fullest.....and I agree, it's okay to let the ship recover some refundable OBC or make a little money off us....life is to short to protect all our nickles and dimes....I think some of us are actually doing that, by cruising princess in the first place....

HA! No, I didn't make the decorations with our names on them, I bought them on Etsy, and no magic, singing is enough.

The look on my wife's face when she walked into our cabin and saw the decorations was well worth every penny.

There's no way that I could have surprised her by doing it myself.

I could honestly care less if other people think it's too expensive.

The surprise was priceless, even for someone nearly 60 years old. Having someone else decorate the room and not having to drive to the party store or dollar store was well worth the price for us.

A surprise like that is priceless! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I brought my own and decorated the cabin for my daughter's B'day. I also purchased the package with chocolate covered strawberries, bottle of bubbly and 3 roses in a vase! She loved them all!

Hi gang, thanks so much for taking the time to share all of your insights into packages, and alternative ideas. You guys did a much better job than princess customer service did. Far from the greatest when you call them. Although there is a mark up, I am leaning toward doing the package now that I’ve seen what it actually is. I think it could still heighten a fun, special moment. At least for this first time cruiser to do at least once.Thanks again!

My wife LOVED her surprise decorations.

I had them delivered on embarkation day, which means they get installed later in the day.

Our steward had just returned from vacation and this was his first day back on board. He admitted that it was a bit difficult for him since this was his first time installing them. Not pictured is the mirror cling and door sign, which is larger than the free signs.

6633214c8e93d892adb7014a93d5da09.jpg

Where is this item listed on the Princess Web Sit? I’ve looked under”Onboard Reservations “ & don’t see it.

Tom🤔

Thanks! Just saw this “Available for select ships and destinations only, including: Alaska, Mexico, Hawaii, Coastal, Caribbean, Panama Canal, Europe (with the exception of Pacific Princess®) and Canada & New England. Gifts are subject to availability. All prices are quoted in USD and are subject to change without notice.”.

I’m on the Majestic Princess so that’s the reason I couldn’t find it.

Tom😎

Our daughters surprised us with the anniversary package and I loved it. We took the door sign home and enjoy it every time I pull into garage. The hanging rope across the cabin with clothes pins holding up signs, we took home and it now holds all my DH golf hats. Also, our balloon outside the door stuck out a little and whichever elevator we took, I’d look down the hall and knew where our cabin was. Have a happy birthday and a great cruise!