15 Nt Norway & Atlantic Passage on Royal or 14 Nt British Isles & Norway on Regal

Funkat

Last minute decision to take a cruise this fall.

We are trying to decide on either the 15 night Norway & Atlantic Passage on the Royal Princess or the 14 night British Isles & Norway Passage on the Regal.

Itinerary on the Norway & Atlantic Passage 9/10/18

Rotterham, Netherlands

Hambuirg, Germany

Bergen, Norway

Belfast, Northern Ireland

St. Johns Newfoundland

New York

Itinerary on the Norway & British Isles 9/8/18

Aartus, Denmark

Kristiansand, Norway

Greenock (Glasgow), Scotland

Dublin, Ireland

Dobh (Cobb), Ireland

Halifax, Nova Scotia

New York

Would appreciate any input from those that have been to these areas. Thanks.

Edited by Funkat

As much as I enjoy having a few pre-cruise days in London, the Regal Princess sailing from Copenhagen has far better ports overall. Though the potential for some rough seas sailing from Glasgow to Dublin to Cobh and then south through the Irish Sea. The more northerly arc on the TA section of the Royal cruise (Belfast to Newfoundland) actually may have better weather than the Cobh-to-Halifax on Regal. But what's a TA without some rocking and rolling?

As much as I enjoy having a few pre-cruise days in London, the Regal Princess sailing from Copenhagen has far better ports overall. Though the potential for some rough seas sailing from Glasgow to Dublin to Cobh and then south through the Irish Sea. The more northerly arc on the TA section of the Royal cruise (Belfast to Newfoundland) actually may have better weather than the Cobh-to-Halifax on Regal. But what's a TA without some rocking and rolling?

Thanks. I was leaning towards this cruise, but they both looked pretty good. Were looking to book something for next spring, but these caught our eye. We'll just be sure to pack the patches. lol

Last minute decision to take a cruise this fall.. . .

Itinerary on the Norway & Atlantic Passage 9/10/18

Rotterham, Netherlands

Hambuirg, Germany

Bergen, Norway

Belfast, Northern Ireland

St. Johns Newfoundland

New York

Itinerary on the Norway & British Isles 9/8/18

Aarhus, Denmark

Kristiansand, Norway

Greenock (Glasgow), Scotland

Dublin, Ireland

Cobh (Cobb), Ireland

Halifax, Nova Scotia

New York

Would appreciate any input from those that have been to these areas. Thanks.

We've done a number of WB TAs and have visited all these ports except Aarhus and Belfast (scheduled, but ship didn't make it there). Either way you can't lose IMHO. But there are some things to consider: the second one departs from Copenhagen, which is expensive (and may involve 2 flights, depending on where you live) to fly to and expensive to stay in while Southampton, closer and less expensive on both counts. Also, longer flight(s) to Copenhagen. One mitigating factor is closeness of airport to port: about 30 min in Copenhagen, several hours from Heathrow to Southampton (course you may decide to spend a day or two in London, which many do). Personally, I love Copenhagen and we always spend a few days there; Southampton is ok, but mostly a way station for us.

Most of these ports are easy (and worthwhile) to do on your own. I think I've walked around nearly all of them and we've done cruise critic member-arranged private tours in some.

We've done a number of WB TAs and have visited all these ports except Aarhus and Belfast (scheduled, but ship didn't make it there). Either way you can't lose IMHO. But there are some things to consider: the second one departs from Copenhagen, which is expensive (and may involve 2 flights, depending on where you live) to fly to and expensive to stay in while Southampton, closer and less expensive on both counts. Also, longer flight(s) to Copenhagen. One mitigating factor is closeness of airport to port: about 30 min in Copenhagen, several hours from Heathrow to Southampton (course you may decide to spend a day or two in London, which many do). Personally, I love Copenhagen and we always spend a few days there; Southampton is ok, but mostly a way station for us.

Most of these ports are easy (and worthwhile) to do on your own. I think I've walked around nearly all of them and we've done cruise critic member-arranged private tours in some.

Thanks for the reply.

We actually booked the Royal today. I sat down and looked at possible excursions at each port on both cruises. Bottom line, the Royal (embarking in Southampton) won out. It seemed more suited to our interests, especially when I discovered that we could take a fast train to Paris (2hr6m) from London. So we added an extra day to the 2 full days that we had allotted to see London so that we could also see Paris. Our flight gets into London on Sept 6 (early morning) and we don't sail out until late evening Sept 10, so I'm hoping we will have enough time to take in most of what we want to see. We plan to stay in London those 4 nights and wait until the morning of embarkation to head towards Southampton.

Thanks for the reply.

We actually booked the Royal today. I sat down and looked at possible excursions at each port on both cruises. Bottom line, the Royal (embarking in Southampton) won out. It seemed more suited to our interests, especially when I discovered that we could take a fast train to Paris (2hr6m) from London. So we added an extra day to the 2 full days that we had allotted to see London so that we could also see Paris. Our flight gets into London on Sept 6 (early morning) and we don't sail out until late evening Sept 10, so I'm hoping we will have enough time to take in most of what we want to see. We plan to stay in London those 4 nights and wait until the morning of embarkation to head towards Southampton.

Sounds like a good plan! We spent a week in London in 2000 so we haven't felt the need to return. We have done a number of "land" trips in and cruises around Europe, but unfortunately none included Paris. We're avid fans of the Tour de France on TV so the finale in Paris is probably the closest we'll get, ;-)

We are booked on the Royal this year. The big draw for us is St John's, DW was born there.

That's a very good reason to choose the Royal itinerary! SJ, NF doesn't look like the easiest place to get to, except by plane or cruise ship. We've been there once, also on a WB TA (Crown P, 2010). Enjoyed it very much. The ship navigating the narrow channel, flanked by tall cliffs, into and out of the harbor was something. And the Royal is even bigger! Went out of the city on a tour in the a.m. and walked around the downtown area in the afternoon. The tour went to Quidi Vidi and then down to Petty Harbor. Beautiful areas! I enjoyed a blogger's posts from the SJ area about the same time; he wrote mainly about nature as he hiked a lot. But then he moved cross-country to Vancouver Island.

We are now booked on her too. Now to confirm our excursions. :):):)

Welcome aboard. The roll call seams to be in a weird place but you can find it here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2497799&page=18

Hoping for good weather in St John's. We made into port four years ago on the Ruby, but the Royal had to pass by the following day due to rough seas. The channel in to port is beautiful but narrow.

Tim

Welcome aboard. The roll call seams to be in a weird place but you can find it here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2497799&page=18

Hoping for good weather in St John's. We made into port four years ago on the Ruby, but the Royal had to pass by the following day due to rough seas. The channel in to port is beautiful but narrow.

Tim

Thanks Tim! I'm also hoping that we are able to make St John's. DH & I made a motorcycle trip up to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI in the Fall of 2016 but did not spend the time to take the ferry to Newfoundland.

• 3 weeks later...
Going on the Royal TA departing 9/10/18. Wondering whether Hamburg is walkable from the dock?

Definitely! We were there on the CB in spring 2016 and I walked from the ship to a lovely lake downtown (Binnenalster). It was about 2 km one way, although I meandered coming and going so covered more ground. Their city hall (not far from the lake) is quite ornate. There are swans on the lake and in the nearby canals. We were there on VE day so all the businesses were closed and hardly any traffic so I don't know how it would be with lots of traffic. Also, we sailed up the river to the city in the afternoon--a change from the scheduled arrival the next morning. Anyway it's a scenic sail; first it's bucolic and then eventually you'll see the newish opera house on a point of land near the dock. Hence the building is supposed to remind one of a ship. Enjoy!

Going on the Royal TA departing 9/10/18. Wondering whether Hamburg is walkable from the dock?

Alsop was on the CB in 2016. I had a very good Princess tour that ended near city hall. Instead of going back to the ship with the tour bus I stayed downtown and walked back to the ship. So yes, very walkable.

Definitely! We were there on the CB in spring 2016 and I walked from the ship to a lovely lake downtown (Binnenalster). It was about 2 km one way, although I meandered coming and going so covered more ground. Their city hall (not far from the lake) is quite ornate. There are swans on the lake and in the nearby canals. We were there on VE day so all the businesses were closed and hardly any traffic so I don't know how it would be with lots of traffic. Also, we sailed up the river to the city in the afternoon--a change from the scheduled arrival the next morning. Anyway it's a scenic sail; first it's bucolic and then eventually you'll see the newish opera house on a point of land near the dock. Hence the building is supposed to remind one of a ship. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. We're on this cruise, too, and Hamburg is the only new port for us. I'm looking forward to sailing up the river into the city, too.