Wildly differing levels of planning, etc

jc3443

I have mostly just been perusing the threads here with an occasional comment. One thing that has stood out to me is the wildly differing amounts of planning and organization that people put into cruising. Now this is not an indictment, complaint, criticism, etc of anyone. Hey, if it works for you, you do you buddy!

I am more of the laid back, it will all work itself out, what me worry type. That probably drives some people nuts I'm sure. Some of the things that I have read here frankly amazed me that people put so much detail into their cruising. For me that would make it less fun. Things from decorating doors, to spreadsheets to coordinate group events, etc.

I'm not trying to convince anyone they are wrong, I just find the differences amusing in what people enjoy. Some people enjoy bringing a bunch of things to decorate their cabin and their cabin door, I would find it tedious and irritating if I had to do that.

I guess I have no real reason for posting this other than to point out the obvious. We are all unique, just like everybody else! :')

I'm not too heavy handed on planning but I get why people do it. For some, the planning portion is a part of the vacation for them. The planned activities, decorations, etc let them experience the vacation before the vacation even starts.

I'm sure it's devastating for some if the plans change or get canceled but that's why I put myself in the planned-unplanned middle ground. I like the surprise as much as I like the planned things.

I think I may be a little odd (ok, a lot odd), in that I am a researcher but not really a planner. By that I mean we are going on a cruise to the British Isles in just over a year, along with another 12-14 days in Scotland and Ireland afterward. I have already spent a huge amount of time researching places to go, things to do, etc. But I will not have a detailed itinerary as to what we are going to see and do aside from a few "musts".

One of the things that made me think of this was seeing a thread about things to bring on your cruise. And it was all little organizational details. For instance a shoe hanger for the back of the cabin door, etc.

Edited by jc3443
I felt like it!

I research the ports we're going to so I can research excursion vendors. Then once I get everything, I print my emails to pds and save them so I have all of my information on my phone. No spreadsheets or anything, just pdf copies of excursion emails and cruise documents. We do have a door banner we take with us though. :D

As ridiculous as it seems, there are actually some people who create spreadsheets to coordinate their daily clothing choices. Me - I wear what is on top of the pile.

DON

That is me. Well, I don't go by the spreadsheet as far as which day I wear what, but I do a spreadsheet, so that I'll bring enough clothes (I'm an avid over-packer); I have to make sure I have an outfit for day and one for evening and then a couple extra just in case. Not to mention, that I have a record of what is in each suitcase, in case one or both are lost.

I'm also a big planner. If I haven't been to a port, I'll do research about the area and then decide what excursions I want to take.

Now, just so you don't think I'm batty, I don't have issues if there are changes in ports, times, etc., there are just some things that I like to plan ahead.

Decorating your cabin door? This is a new one for me. A door banner with what on it?

#intrigued

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Other than the cruise ship provided happy anniversary, or birthday some people put up their own.

A couple of cabins down from me had Halloween stuff all over their door last week. One big spider or ghost kept falling down so they stuck it on their glass room number sign.

Some people go nuts on Christmas cruises going by posts on CC, but I’ve been on one and it wasn’t too bad, but quite a few for sure.

I like to plan. Not very good at it. Here’s some examples:

Wasn’t going to get married while in the Navy...been married 41 yrs now. Planned for two kids; we had a son and then wife went against the plan and had twin daughters. Planned a 4 year commitment to Navy and then college - retired after about 37 yrs with DoN. Still only have a small Phd Poor planning all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Planning helps a lot. There is so much a person can learn by researching things before a cruise that makes the vacation a lot more enjoyable, in my opinion. Making lists or keeping things organized helps you to not forget things you really want to bring. I don't make lists, but I do toss the things I really want to bring in one area so that when it comes time to pack, I won't forget these things. In my experience, I miss a lot when I wing it. I enjoy planning and it makes me happy when we are able to have a less stressful vacation because of it.

While I would never decorate my cabin door, I think it's fun to see the doors decorated.

Decorating your cabin door? This is a new one for me. A door banner with what on it?

#intrigued

On a recent cruise I also saw a pretty well done halloween themed door that included a decent sized plaque with the occupant's names. I would never do this but admit we enjoyed it every time we walked by.

As far as planning goes, I like to avoid getting wrapped up in details. My wife picks the excursions. I show up where and when I'm supposed to. My wife packs at least one week prior to our flight. I pack the night before.

I actually love this thread!! I travel 1x a year with a big group (12-16 depending on who is having babies, getting divorced etc) and everyone is so different. I have 1 good friend who does a spreadsheet for EVERYTHING. He will know the amount spent on anything vacation related. Then I have others who just let me plan everything and ask when to show up. I’m in the middle. I like to research so I can dream about being there and I like to plan on being early because I hate being late. But everything else can be fixed by a cold drink and no kids following me around asking for a drink:)

For me' date=' planning is half the fun. The other half of the fun is being willing to toss the plan away when something else comes up, or the mood strikes otherwise.[/quote']

Me too. Planning means I know our options so we can make last minute decisions at low risk of regret. It also helps focus holiday excitements!

There was a study done in 2010 showing that planning ahead at least some of your vacation provided the most happiness. So, the people who said “planning is half the fun” are a least partially right. Here’s a link to a Huff Post article describing the study results.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5755b42ae4b0eb20fa0e906d/amp

There was a study done in 2010 showing that planning ahead at least some of your vacation provided the most happiness. So, the people who said “planning is half the fun” are a least partially right. Here’s a link to a Huff Post article describing the study results.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5755b42ae4b0eb20fa0e906d/amp

That study was based on responses from 1,530 Dutch citizens i.e. people from the Netherlands, the country that wouldn't exist without planning all those dykes!

They just might be a little biased towards planning for a vacation too.:D

As others have mentioned, the degree of "necessary" pre-planning depends heavily on where you're going, how you're going and what you want to do when you get there.

Because we mix distant land and cruise arrangements into longer trips of 30+\- days AND because we have specific travel/accommodations/touring preferences, significant advanced planning is an absolute essential.

Want good seats for a Broadway show, dinner reservations at The Quay in Sydney, entry into the Vatican Museum at an ideal time (or at all), one of the maximum dozen spots on the perfect drift snorkel tour with Patrick in Bora Bora, prized (and rare) "saver award" points seats on an international flight, etc? In general, "going with the flow" doesn't work when what you seek is in extremely high demand.

We're also spreadsheet folks with a proprietary template that consolidates every aspect of the itinerary (including reservation and contact info) on a single, double sided sheet of paper (picture of it on smart phone and folded hard copy in my pocket).