10th cruise but first time on Holland America to Alaska

bamm

I am contemplating booking the Noordam for an alaskan cruise out of Vancouver. 5 years ago for my honeymoon we took Princess out of San Francisco on the 11 day. I'm just wondering what is Holland America like? I have seen a few bad reviews of the Noordam but an wondering if its really that bad? I have been on 2 princess, 6 carnival and 1 royal carribean. I feel like the best food was on pricess, probably the best cruise was on Princess to Alaska. Right now HA is offering a 6 day for $1,000 with a balcony and a drink package. Sounds almost to good to be true. Any thoughts?

We have been on 3 Alaska cruises on 3 different cruise lines which includes our 14 day Holland America cruise last August round trip from Seattle. My wife and I agree that our Holland America cruise was the best of the three. The service was exceptional and the experience was outstanding.

My wife's website includes pictures of all our cruises. If you have time, I think you would enjoy seeing them at the links below. If you're interested in only the Holland America Alaska cruise, click on this link 14 Day Alaska Cruise on Maasdam

I am contemplating booking the Noordam for an alaskan cruise out of Vancouver. 5 years ago for my honeymoon we took Princess out of San Francisco on the 11 day. I'm just wondering what is Holland America like? I have seen a few bad reviews of the Noordam but an wondering if its really that bad? I have been on 2 princess, 6 carnival and 1 royal carribean. I feel like the best food was on pricess, probably the best cruise was on Princess to Alaska. Right now HA is offering a 6 day for $1,000 with a balcony and a drink package. Sounds almost to good to be true. Any thoughts?

I did the 14-day R/T out of Seattle this past September on the Amsterdam. One thing to remember: HAL has been "doing" Alaska for over 70 years. They know the area intimately. And I *think* I've read here that the Noordam is due for refurbishment in April 2018 (someone will correct me if I'm wrong ... ). If your trip is after that, you'll have at least some newer surroundings.

I can't compare to any other cruiselines/ships as the September cruise was my first, but I was very happy with the overall "feel" of HAL in terms of service and food (both superb!), and my understanding is that it's basically the same fleet wide.

I'm sure others will weigh in on this -- whatever you decide, have a great trip! :)

You might want to check Noordam's 2018 schedule as I think they have now filled the early May 2018 slots (where they would have sent it to dry dock) with other sailings. So I'm guessing HAL may have changed their minds on when it will be updated.

I'm a bit disappointed as I also thought it was going to be refurbished in May 2018 and scheduled our first HAL cruise on the Noordam June 3rd Alaska trip. Of course that wasn't the only reason we chose that particular cruise schedule and HAL, so I'm still optimistic we will have a wonderful Alaska trip. :)

We have been on 3 Alaska cruises on 3 different cruise lines which includes our 14 day Holland America cruise last August round trip from Seattle. My wife and I agree that our Holland America cruise was the best of the three. The service was exceptional and the experience was outstanding.

My wife's website includes pictures of all our cruises. If you have time, I think you would enjoy seeing them at the links below. If you're interested in only the Holland America Alaska cruise, click on this link 14 Day Alaska Cruise on Maasdam

Very impressive collection of pictures - thanks for posting the link.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises on 3 different cruise lines.

HAL and Princess have been in the Alaskan business for the longest time. They know what it is all about.

We have had 2 really great Alaskan cruises. Our first one was the original Star Princess in 1989 -- 14 days out of San Francisco. The other great Alaskan itinerary was on the Amsterdam doing her 14 round trip out of Seattle -- we liked it so much we did it twice.

We haven't been on the Noordam recently, but we did sail her several times. She is a great ship and we love where her Library is located.