Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Best Ruins

Iheartcruisin'

Chacchoben is the nearest ruins and are about 1.5hrs away. You will not be able to climb any of the structures plus they ruins are in the open. It is important to bring water or you can purchase some before entering. Also sunscreen and a hat is recommended. We have also visited Kohunlich which is about 2hrs away. If you go to Chacchoben you will still have time to visit town or doing some shopping at the pier before leaving.

Choc is not bad. We went this past May. We would have preferred Konhunilich but the ships excursion did not fill. We had a short day and did not want to risk private there.

We've been to several Mayan ruins. I would rate Choc about like Altum Ha, except with Altum Ha you can climb the pyramid to the top.

The Kohunlich Mayan ruins were fantastic. We enjoyed it very much and my wife had a great time taking pictures there.

If your cruise line offers a shore excursion there, I highly recommend it.

Here's a link to a slide show my wife made for her website with the pictures she took.

Kohunlich Mayan Ruins Excursions

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Also these ruins would not be considered completely out in the open. The walkways were mostly shaded. In fact, of all the ruins I've been to, 4 other sites, these were probably the least in the open.

You can climb some, but not to the top of a pyramid.

Not a bad site.

• 3 years later...
The Kohunlich Mayan ruins were fantastic. We enjoyed it very much and my wife had a great time taking pictures there.

If your cruise line offers a shore excursion there, I highly recommend it.

Here's a link to a slide show my wife made for her website with the pictures she took.

Kohunlich Mayan Ruins Excursions

Happy cruising!

Thanks for the photos, they are beautiful. My DH and I will be in Costa Maya on Feb. 2, 2018. Your wife's photos are helping me to make an excursion decision!

Thanks for the photos, they are beautiful. My DH and I will be in Costa Maya on Feb. 2, 2018. Your wife's photos are helping me to make an excursion decision!

Hi! I'm glad you enjoyed her pictures. She will be very glad to know they were helpful to you in making your plans. Happy cruising!