Celebrity versus HAL - What a difference!

Ken the cruiser

Just a little background. We are 4 star mariners in our mid 60s and grew up listening to rock and roll music from the mid 60s on. We have been on 9 HAL cruises over the past 4 years on 5 different ships.

However, in those years we have noticed HAL’s onboard entertainment has steadily dwindled to where there are only the evening shows, a variety of different types of trivia and on rare occasion on longer cruises maybe a professional lecture or 2, and I’m not talking about port talks. The cruise director’s staff has dwindled to just 1 assistant and game shows, other than a few BBC Earth ones scattered around, have all but disappeared. When we get the Navigator, or whatever they call it now, to pick out the following day’s activities, we have a hard time finding new things to do whereas a few years ago, there was plenty to pick from. In fact we were getting to the point where we were wondering if this was becoming the norm across all of the premium mass market cruise lines as HAL is supposedly one of the best.

We’ll, I’m here to tell you that’s not the case on the 25 day b2b Celebrity cruise we are currently on. In fact it’s just the opposite. On sea days besides having over 50+ activities to chose from there are between 2-3 lectures by different professional lecturers each day. There are different game shows most every night where passenger participation is encouraged. There are encore matinees performed by guest entertainers after their initial two performances the previous evening.

Speaking of the main theater performances, what a difference from what we’re used to seeing on a HAL cruise. Yes, the music is a little louder. But if you grew up listening to music from the 60s and 70s rather than from the 40s and 50s, that’s how it was played.

So, without beating up on HAL too much, let me just say if you want to feel young again, book a cruise on one of Celebrity’s Solstice class ships. If, however, you like a more peaceful, subdued cruise line where you have plenty of time on sea days to read a book, take a nap and maybe listen to some peaceful music at HAL’s new Lincoln Stage venue, then a Celebrity cruise may not be right for you.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Although we select based on ship not cruise line, your comments reflect our experiences.

For our preferences we find the biggest differences in ship age/maintenance and in amenities-especially dining venues and hours of operation. Entertainment can be hit and miss though I we would both agree that there is a much better chance of having better entertainment on X than there is on HAL.

At the end of the day it is very really comes down to personal preferences and expectations. Both are good cruise lines. You can have a less than perfect cruise experience on both, as well as a perfect cruise experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience. As noted earlier, appreciation of a cruise experience depends on one’’s expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is true. We usually book either a vista suite or on occasion a Neptune suite and for as much as we pay for those, we expect to be entertained. That used to be the case with regards to entertainment a few years back, but not so much anymore. However, I will say the food seems to have gotten better in the MDR.

Agree as well, as had great trips on Celebrity, but also have had wonderful trips on all the major brands. But different strokes for different folks. Kudos to those of you who like staying with one cruise line, whether HAL or another. Cruise lines offer great onboard variety, plus choices in price/dates/destinations, so for us, we like experiencing the new and different things that ships/lines offer, and then re-enjoying "favorites" as return to a ship or line. Each cruise line has pros and cons, none are perfect or will ever be perfect. The boards often contain too much inaccurate, cruise line bashing. While HAL is not our top cruise line, it has not precluded us from scheduling an upcoming cruise on the NA. Be happy that you can afford and have the health to cruise, many in the world do not have that opportunity.

OP,

Of the several lines on which you have sailed, we have also been on Celebrity (Elite), Princess (Platinum), and Oceania (just 3 cruises). Our first HAL cruise is set for February, and I would be interested in your characterization of their food in comparison to that on the other lines. To us, Oceania food leads by a wide margin (which it should considering its higher price) with Princess next and Celebrity bringing up the rear. Frankly, to us Celebrity food has seemed boring- simply OK but not very good. Still, we sail for the itinerary and, with the right destinations, we would sail any of them again. Thanks for any insight you might offer.

Will assume that many will reply, as food generates tons of subjective opinion. For us, most of the cruises have had good or higher food quality, but difficult to separate between them. Since we took a 4 week Celebrity cruise from Australia to Canada, our opinion was food was good, but maybe over time the food seemed a bit "boring". (would assume any long cruise would have the same issue) Not sure any cruise line will be as good as what you had on Oceania, since that was part of the cost increase and sell of a premium cruise line. Our HAL cruises have had good food, but again any meal can be a hit or miss, based on personal taste. I think service can also affect good or bad the food experience as well. Also DR vs Lido vs specialty restaurants varies, but overall liked the previous HAL food experience, otherwise would not have selected HAL upcoming cruise. We have never lost weight on a cruise.

OP,

Of the several lines on which you have sailed, we have also been on Celebrity (Elite), Princess (Platinum), and Oceania (just 3 cruises). Our first HAL cruise is set for February, and I would be interested in your characterization of their food in comparison to that on the other lines. To us, Oceania food leads by a wide margin (which it should considering its higher price) with Princess next and Celebrity bringing up the rear. Frankly, to us Celebrity food has seemed boring- simply OK but not very good. Still, we sail for the itinerary and, with the right destinations, we would sail any of them again. Thanks for any insight you might offer.

From our experience on Oceania the food was great, even up on the Terrace Cafe where we ate most of our dinners out on the terrace. Crystal food in their MDR was also outstanding. So much so that we usually ate most of our meals there. Princess food in the MDR was good, but we tried to avoid the buffet whenever possible. HAL has gotten much better in both the MDR as well as up on the Lido deck. So much so, we have no desire to eat in the Pinnacle, their specialty dining room. Disney was good (not great) in all areas, but they did have a pretty good adults only brunch up in their crows nest area.

As far as Celebrity goes, I call their buffet “the pig trough” and we have tried to avoid it at all cost on this cruise. Their MDR is average and they only have a chocolate dessert every 5 days or so which is not good when your DW is a chocoholic. However, we’re finding that if we book a sky suite on our next cruise so we can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Luminae restaurant that will solve the food issue as they have chocolate desserts every night as well as lunch with both the lunch and evening menus changing every day. This will also eliminate the need for us to book any specialty restaurants which are also quite pricey.

But to answer your question, HAL’s food offerings both in the MDR and their newly redesigned buffet area are quite tasty and you should be quite pleased. Hope this helps.

We just returned from our first Celebrity cruise on the Equinox, and couldn't agree more. Our last several HAL cruises have been boring. This was not the case on Celebrity. We have another cruise booked on HAL, but I definitely have a big crush on Celebrity and look forward to cruising on them again.

I can find entertainment and music in my daily life on land. I've seen some all-time great rock musicians, live, and have been to plays, musicals, operas in a few of the world's leading venues. I assume many or most people posting on this thread can say the same. Having said that for context, I do enjoy activities, music, and entertainment on HAL and other lines. However, on a cruise I like feeling that I am away from land, and I can really say the sea itself entertains me. I've never ended a cruise feeling that I had not been entertained by other people enough.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse
adding a thought

I can find entertainment and music in my daily life on land. I've seen some all-time great rock musicians, live, and have been to plays, musicals, operas in a few of the world's leading venues. I assume many or most people posting on this thread can say the same. Having said that for context, I do enjoy activities, music, and entertainment on HAL and other lines. However, on a cruise I like feeling that I am away from land, and I can really say the sea itself entertains me. I've never ended a cruise feeling that I had not been entertained by other people enough.

Your point is well taken. HAL is one of the few premium cruise lines left that have ships, except for maybe their brand new ones, that have fully covered promenade decks where you can still lay out on one of their comfy lounge chairs with a good book and watch the ocean waves go by.

We also love Celebrity. Considering the Reflection T/A cruise in April 2019, but we also love Koningsdam. We are Elite+ with Celebrity and it's hard to give up the perks. Only 6 cruises with HAL so just 2 Star and no real perks. HAL does tend to have better itineraries, though.

I thought my query might gather a variety of responses, and thanks to all, I was not disappointed. Regardless of any line's good and bad points, I certainly agree that the sea itself holds an attraction just not findable on shore. After years of thinking otherwise, we are now planning our first trans-Atlantic. I'm sure we won't be bored.

HAL does tend to have better itineraries, though.

We've sailed both lines equally (and admit we do like the Millenium and Solstice-class ships on X) and completely agree that HAL tends to have much more interesting and unique itineraries than X. For us, itineraries, not perks or specific ships, are what drive our decisions on where we spend our travel dollars.

While I also enjoy being at sea and watching the ocean roll past, I think HAL has perhaps gone too far in the direction of lowering the level of activities on board. I'm not in need of constant excitement or entertainment by others, but I do enjoy the opportunity to listen to music, to play trivia, to hear good enrichment lectures, etc. Hardly groundbreaking or likely to disturb anyone else who is simply enjoying themselves by being at sea.

I also agree that HAL's itineraries are superior to most other mass market lines unless one picks and chooses carefully. I travel for the ports mainly, so that's certainly important. I just wish HAL would step it up SLIGHTLY onboard as well.

Did one HAL cruise about 7-9 years ago and have one booked a New Years cruise this December. We are fairly loyal Celebrity cruisers but needed a change in itinerary and menus. We fully expect the HAL cruise to be more subdued which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Booked on the Eurodam and will be curious to compare her to Celebrity's M and S class ships.

As far as Celebrity goes, I call their buffet “the pig trough” and we have tried to avoid it at all cost on this cruise. Their MDR is average and they only have a chocolate dessert every 5 days or so which is not good when your DW is a chocoholic. However, we’re finding that if we book a sky suite on our next cruise so we can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Luminae restaurant that will solve the food issue as they have chocolate desserts every night as well as lunch with both the lunch and evening menus changing every day. This will also eliminate the need for us to book any specialty restaurants which are also quite pricey.

We have never done a buffet for dinner (30+ cruises), but find breakfast and lunch OK.

Just an FYI, Luminae is not open for lunch on Port Days, but is a wonderful venue for breakfast, lunch (when open), and dinner.

We often eat in the specialty restaurants, especially when we do not have access to Luminae, and have NEVER paid close to full price. Discounts of 20 to 50% are common, with a little flexibility in your dining time. I have not heard of any discounts on HAL

Just my$.02

Ken

To the OP:

We agree with you. Having cruised X twice, most recently in May 2017, we found a much enhanced suite experience. While HAL has some good points, we found many more on X. That being said, we choose our cruises by destination but now will always consider Celebrity first and select by price and inclusions as well. Very much enjoyed Michael's Club and Luminae.

Cheers!