drinks package on Azura

No different than what has been happening on Princess cruises with no problems at all. In fact that is where they have got most if not all their T&Cs from for their drinks package.

Haven't had one on Princess, but Celebrity seems much simpler.

I dont think P&O are over complicating things. I am sure those that take out the package not many will drink 15 alcoholic drinks in every 24 hr period and I dont think at least 15 minute between drinks is a problem.

I think ordering wine with your evening meal will restrict you to just 1 glass, how long will it take to find the wine waiter & reorder your 2nd glass of wine.

For our next cruise if would cost us as a couple £2237!!!

This is the going rate on other cruise lines, we’ve just paid nearly £2000 for a drinks package for 2 on a 2 week cruise with Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This is the going rate on other cruise lines, we’ve just paid nearly £2000 for a drinks package for 2 on a 2 week cruise with Celebrity.

Wow that's £70 pppd :eek:

My initial reaction to this was that it's extortionate, however I think will make sense for families like us where the soft drink package for the children is included. I drink a lot of water and prefer branded bottled stuff too so would probably purchase this as we like a few alcoholic drinks in the evenings so would add up to quite a bit.

It doesn't seem to make sense though for those with mismatched drinking habits or light drinkers but I assume it's not aimed at that market.

I dont think P&O are over complicating things. I am sure those that take out the package not many will drink 15 alcoholic drinks in every 24 hr period and I dont think at least 15 minute between drinks is a problem.

But, you cannot get a spirit and can of mixer.

It occurs to me that the structure of this package is set up to fail. I just cannot see the average cruiser finding this of value. The restrictions mean that if you do spend as much as £40 pppd would it be worth it for all the bother of not drinking exactly what you wanted to drink.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. As there are restrictions, I would only pay for it if this was compensated for by way of a decent discount on what I would pay if I just did my own thing. In other words, unless our daily drinks spend as a couple was say £90 per day or more, then what’s the incentive? As our daily drinks spend is around one third of that it’s a no brainer for us to ignore it, but I would be concerned that some people may be suckered into it (particularly new cruisers, who may think drinks prices are higher than they are, or don’t appreciate that it would be nigh on impossible to drink that amount on port days). The more I think about it, I can only see this appealing to heavy drinkers and encouraging them to drink even more (to ensure that they get full value from the package) could be an accident waiting to happen!

I agree. As there are restrictions, I would only pay for it if this was compensated for by way of a decent discount on what I would pay if I just did my own thing. In other words, unless our daily drinks spend as a couple was say £90 per day or more, then what’s the incentive? As our daily drinks spend is around one third of that it’s a no brainer for us to ignore it, but I would be concerned that some people may be suckered into it (particularly new cruisers, who may think drinks prices are higher than they are, or don’t appreciate that it would be nigh on impossible to drink that amount on port days). The more I think about it, I can only see this appealing to heavy drinkers and encouraging them to drink even more (to ensure that they get full value from the package) could be an accident waiting to happen!

There is a brief article in the latest Moments Magazine entitled 'Refreshing food and drink news'

It starts by saying, Quote 'We're constantly listening to your feedback and developing our food and drink menus to offer you more mouthwatering choice etc, etc.

It then goes on to say 'we're giving you unbeatable choice and value with our new Explorer drinks package' etc,etc.

Could have fooled me.:rolleyes:

Actually, to be fair the article does go on to say that children under 16 are included in the package.

So as stated before it does appear to favour family groups.

Edited by P-L-B
extra information added.

but I would be concerned that some people may be suckered into it (particularly new cruisers, who may think drinks prices are higher than they are, or don’t appreciate that it would be nigh on impossible to drink that amount on port days).

If our last two cruises are anything to go by, an increasing number of new cruisers do not go ashore on port days. They take the view that they have paid what is effectively AI (minus drinks) and are therefore going to get their money's worth by staying on board. This drinks package would therefore probably appeal. Had this said to me by several people I spoke to on our cruise last year. Seems as though the perceived change in demographics might be affecting sales of shore excursions - seasoned cruisers/the more experienced travellers tend to DIY, new cruisers prefer to stay on board.... a drinks package might help to redress some of the balance. FWIW we won't be taking up the offer either. If we could share a package, yes, but as I mainly drink tap water, tea and the odd cocktail or glass of wine, no way could I drink £40 worth.

Will be interesting to see what the take up is like on Azura over forthcoming cruises.

Perhaps, as others have stated, reasonable value for families on ships like Azura but for couples I think they have pitched it too high given the 'pay as you go prices' on P&O.

We probably average about £45-50 per day between us so no point in taking up the offer.

In my experience the wine was served quite quickly in the MDR on my last cruise with Princess with the drinks package, wasn't a problem.
Same experience on RCI and Celebrity, glasses always refilled without asking once the servers knew we had a package.

That seems really expensive even though I know Celebrity have raised the price of the Premium package to $69 pppd plus 18% gratuity which is $81.52 pppd. At the current exchange rate that should be £61.52.

There is a brief article in the latest Moments Magazine entitled 'Refreshing food and drink news'

It starts by saying, Quote 'We're constantly listening to your feedback and developing our food and drink menus to offer you more mouthwatering choice etc, etc.

It then goes on to say 'we're giving you unbeatable choice and value with our new Explorer drinks package' etc,etc.

Could have fooled me.:rolleyes:

Actually, to be fair the article does go on to say that children under 16 are included in the package.

So as stated before it does appear to favour family groups.

Yes, the “we’ve listened to your feedback” is a line they come out with every time, even for the changes that are received like a bucket of cold sick (apologies if anyone is eating)!

As an aside, having just read that article in Moments Magazine, am I missing something or is this now being presented as a fleet wide package? I didn’t notice any reference to a pilot or Azura only?

Yes, the “we’ve listened to your feedback” is a line they come out with every time, even for the changes that are received like a bucket of cold sick (apologies if anyone is eating)!

As an aside, having just read that article in Moments Magazine, am I missing something or is this now being presented as a fleet wide package? I didn’t notice any reference to a pilot or Azura only?

Yes, I also got the impression they were talking fleet wide.

So, can we conclude rather than a trial involving passenger feedback, it sounds like they are possibly using Azura as a learning exercise before rolling it out to the rest of the fleet.:confused:

Yes, I also got the impression they were talking fleet wide.

So, can we conclude rather than a trial involving passenger feedback, it sounds like they are possibly using Azura as a learning exercise before rolling it out to the rest of the fleet.:confused:

Possibly, but as that’s not stated in the article then if they don’t have it on all ships within the next few months I think that they will be dealing with complaints from those that are expecting it as a result of that piece, so that doesn’t really allow time for a trial. Confused.

Same experience on RCI and Celebrity, glasses always refilled without asking once the servers knew we had a package.

Yes but don't expect that on P&O, the service standards on RCI and Celebrity are far higher than P&O.

However at the proposed price, and since both passengers need to have the package, there is no way it would be worth it for us. Unless of course P&O increase their drink prices like Celebrity did when they first introduced a drinks package. If that happens I might have to resort to smuggling alcohol on board, and do all my drinking in the cabin.;p

Yes but don't expect that on P&O, the service standards on RCI and Celebrity are far higher than P&O.

However at the proposed price, and since both passengers need to have the package, there is no way it would be worth it for us. Unless of course P&O increase their drink prices like Celebrity did when they first introduced a drinks package. If that happens I might have to resort to smuggling alcohol on board, and do all my drinking in the cabin.;p

I can't comment on the service standards on P&O compared to RCI and Celebrity as we have to date only done 1 P&O sailing, but I admit the service wasn't great but we put that down to the short sailing.

Looking at P&O's prices, the current package would not be of value to us either, especially as I won't pay the same price for a package that includes a child option as I don't travel with children and so that implies the £39.95 price is loaded to cater for this and so I'd expect a lower price without this option.

It amuses me that the package rules state a 15 minute interval between serving, it's a shame they don't enforce that to their staff as on Azura we were constantly harangued to purchase more drinks and that was definitely within 15 minutes! It'll be interesting how servers react to those with packages.

Unfortunately, the cynical of me would suspect that drinks prices will rise as I mentioned earlier to close to the £6.95 as other lines have done when introducing packages.

I can't comment on the service standards on P&O compared to RCI and Celebrity as we have to date only done 1 P&O sailing, but I admit the service wasn't great but we put that down to the short sailing.

Looking at P&O's prices, the current package would not be of value to us either, especially as I won't pay the same price for a package that includes a child option as I don't travel with children and so that implies the £39.95 price is loaded to cater for this and so I'd expect a lower price without this option.

It amuses me that the package rules state a 15 minute interval between serving, it's a shame they don't enforce that to their staff as on Azura we were constantly harangued to purchase more drinks and that was definitely within 15 minutes! It'll be interesting how servers react to those with packages.

Unfortunately, the cynical of me would suspect that drinks prices will rise as I mentioned earlier to close to the £6.95 as other lines have done when introducing packages.

Yes I agree that it does appear that couples who pay for AI will be subsidising families.

I’m sure there are many couples where one drinks alcohol and the other does not who would be happy to get a buy one get a soda package free.

Yes I agree that it does appear that couples who pay for AI will be subsidising families.

I’m sure there are many couples where one drinks alcohol and the other does not who would be happy to get a buy one get a soda package free.

But as both adults in a cabin need to buy the package it's not BOGOF

This would work well for us, even though we both drink alcohol. I drink a lot of cola, so it would work for us even if I then had to pay extra for my alcoholic drinks. £80 per day between us is way over what we would spend though.

We don't actually have anything booked with PandO until next September, so I hope this gives them time to iron out the wrinkles before we go!

It appears to be a BOGOF for families does it not.

No because BOGOF would mean buying one and getting another exactly the same free where if you buy the Ultimate drinks package you get a free Childrens package which is only half the price so hardly BOGOF.

No because BOGOF would mean buying one and getting another exactly the same free where if you buy the Ultimate drinks package you get a free Childrens package which is only half the price so hardly BOGOF.

So to be fair passengers with no children should only pay £26.63. We would still not buy the package as we are light drinkers but why should passengers with no children subsidise other people's children ?

Just a thought, are P&O trying to get rid of childless passengers in order to call themselves a family only line ?