Hem Lengths

There is much discussion on this board about fashions for older ladies. What is appropriate and what is not.

I personally choose dresses by fabric and pattern.

However, in most cases we don't always have choice in the length. Do you think older ladies should wear dresses at a specific length. I find now that I am not comfortable in a skirt/dress above the knee. I like the hem to be at knee length or slightly below knee. Mid-calf is not flattering and floor length/Maxi is okay.

What say you?

I think hem length should be based on what is flattering for body shape. I've seen many ladies of a certain age that look great with a bit of knee showing and look a bit dumpy if it goes just below.

My Mom is a great example of that. She looks best with full knee exposure.

I on the other hand, look best right AT the knee, just above that smallest part of the calf below the knee, but can get away with just a bit above. At least right now when I am a bit wide in the hips. I need that little bit of additional length in the skirt to balance right with the hip width. If that small part of the calf above the knee doesn't show though...maxi length. Which I also like a lot.

Anita, that's a good point about proportion. I also think type of skirt makes a difference. A full or A-line can be a little shorter, but a sheath should be a little longer. I guess it really boils down to personal preference and not age.

I seldom wear dresses, but do have a couple of hi lo dresses that always travel with me. I tend to trip on maxi dresses & I hate my knees, so they’re perfect, just below knee in front & just above heel in back

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I seldom wear dresses, but do have a couple of hi lo dresses that always travel with me. I tend to trip on maxi dresses & I hate my knees, so they’re perfect, just below knee in front & just above heel in back

I should probably look for some of these. I also sometimes have tripping issues with my maxi skirts but like the fuller coverage especially in the back.

Not a fan of maxi skirts....I like dresses to the knees..perhaps just above. But, I have good legs. For casual skirts, I don't mind if they're a couple inches above the knee....not too short, but a little longer than the shorts I normally wear! If you're comfortable with your legs, I don't think there is a "right" length simply because of age!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of rules of thumb that seem to work are: 1, Avoid skirt lengths that end right where your calf is fullest - go above or below that, 2. Your skirt should be no shorter than its width - so take roughly half your hip measurement and you will get your most flattering minimum skirt length. (36' hip-18 inch skirt. 40' hip - 20' skirt, 50'hip - 25: skirt. These are just offered as general guidelines and will vary with the individual body and style of skirt

A couple of rules of thumb that seem to work are: 1, Avoid skirt lengths that end right where your calf is fullest - go above or below that, 2. Your skirt should be no shorter than its width - so take roughly half your hip measurement and you will get your most flattering minimum skirt length. (36' hip-18 inch skirt. 40' hip - 20' skirt, 50'hip - 25: skirt. These are just offered as general guidelines and will vary with the individual body and style of skirt

That is good information. I will check it out on some of the dresses I have. I generally like the hem length at just below the knee.

I’ve never heard of hi lo dresses. Is there a special brand?

No, there really isn't a special brand. The hem is higher in the front and lower in the back. You could probably search Amazon for this type of dress. Personally, I am not a fan. I prefer the handkerchief hem. Sort of a zig-zag hem.

• 2 weeks later...

I love a maxi dress. I would look best in a dress that hit me at the top oh the knee if I didn't have fat knees. But I do so I go for just below the knee. I wear dresses all the time I also think what kind of shoe you wear make a differents also

Leigh

I don't think there is any one answer. I personally am comfortable;) with skirts not much shorter than just above the knee--at age 73. I fondly imagine my legs are pretty good yetclear.png?emoji-grin-1677clear.png?emoji-grin-1677:);) an inch or two above is ok, but usually a little longer. On me, calf length looks dowdy and seems to make my legs look shorter. Sometimes I like a maxi dress.

Proportion, skirt style/width/taper, type of shoes being worn and how the legs and knees look all can make a difference. I say wear what you like and are comfortable with, within reason.

I still wear running style shorts around home, but not anywhere else. Knee length or a little longer for shorts. Capris don't look good on me.

I have settled in to just below the knee. It's a length that I can use for any shoe type. I don't wear with too high heel.

I love maxi's in the summer but have not tried one for winter.

Thanks, to all who have replied. And, yes, a consensus seems to be it depends.

Hi, it is not a brand but a style. Most dept stores and on line sites sell them. The material is normally longer in the back and shorter in the front.

I am older--age 60. I am 5'2" and I wear dresses and skirts above the knee with heels. It's about proportion.

It also has to be the right silhouette for my body type.

I choose by dress and neckline style and fabric. Choose solid colors in good fabrics and add color with accessories. I avoid patterned fabrics.

You should choose by your body type and personal style more than your age. Wear what suits you and is flattering.

• 3 weeks later...

I love long flowing dresses and maxi dresses. At 53 post back surgery everything below the belt is jelly! lol some things look better covered. Love the long formals and casual maxis that are super. Also At 5 foot 10 mini would not cover my hiney! rofl

I love long flowing dresses and maxi dresses. At 53 post back surgery everything below the belt is jelly! lol some things look better covered. Love the long formals and casual maxis that are super. Also At 5 foot 10 mini would not cover my hiney! rofl

I am with you. I love long flowing dresses and maxi. I think that they are pretty and I can sit and cross my legs comfortably. I am now looking at some sewing patterns, that are flowing and wrap a round dress type.