Behavior on Carnival ships ?

Winchester Ranger

One of the best cruises we ever had was back on Miracle when she was brand new and sailing out of Baltimore (yes Baltimore) but we have been hesitant to go back to Carnival following all the reports and videos of bad behavior on the ships.

I’d be grateful for an honest assessment from recent cruisers - does Carnival deserve its new reputation ?

The only way to get an accurate idea is to go and see for yourself. People tend to over exaggerate on here when it comes to behavior, dining room attire, etc etc. I occasionally see a bad passenger, but it certainly doesn't ruin or change the overall experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only way to get an accurate idea is to go and see for yourself. People tend to over exaggerate on here when it comes to behavior, dining room attire, etc etc. I occasionally see a bad passenger, but it certainly doesn't ruin or change the overall experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you used the forum to give you an accurate view of how a cruise is, I would probably never cruise again :D

My last cruise on the Vista (August 2018) I was mortified and disgusted by passenger behavior: scantily clad adults twerking, blaring music on Bluetooth speakers by pool and on balconies, adults screaming vulgarities and fighting, people taking selfies while twerking and sticking their breasts out, taking over pools and hot tubs with speakers blasting, closing of pool due to vomit, constant pot smoke wafting from balconies, people smoking and vaping on pool deck while security watched. Security was useless. Don’t get me started on the rampant morbid obesity of children and adults on full display in ill-fitting and inappropriate attire. This really turned me off from cruising Carnival, which is sad to me because this was my 23rd Carnival cruise.

If you've been on 23 Carnival Cruises surely you know that is not the norm. Unless all 23 cruises was like that, which in that case it must not bother you too much.

If you've been on 23 Carnival Cruises surely you know that is not the norm. Unless all 23 cruises was like that, which in that case it must not bother you too much.

There has always been the random drunks or groups of kids partying. This cruise was over the top. I cannot tolerate drug use going on and security doing nothing about it. It wasn’t just behavior of fellow passengers that has made me swear off Carnival...it’s the downgrades and cutbacks and penny pinching. I’d rather spend more money for a better product.

We were on the Valor over Labor Day. We didn't see any bad behavior in the public spaces. It was quite tame around the aft pool, in the Red Frog Pub, and in the dining rooms, etc.

That being said, we had really rude neighbors on Lido Deck. Blasting a boom box all day on the sea days out on their balcony, talking loudly out in the hall very early in the morning and late at night, and slamming the cabin door every darn time were what we had to put up with. Apparently, we were berthed in the middle of a big group and they seemed to want to party in their cabins, not in the public spaces. I came home needing to get some rest as there was none to be had in our cabin, during the day or at night.

We got off Valor on 9/3 and behavior was an issue. It was the worst weve ever experienced.

Yours was a midweek five day but our was a weekend four day. We have sworn off of the weekend cruises. Never again...

I was going to say the same thing. The only loud music we here is from Carnival's speakers. Most people I see are wearing headsets. Cruise bathing attire is the most conservative I have ever seen. Some people who wear skimpy bathing suits, should not

Edited by coevan
sp

One of the best cruises we ever had was back on Miracle when she was brand new and sailing out of Baltimore (yes Baltimore) but we have been hesitant to go back to Carnival following all the reports and videos of bad behavior on the ships.

I’d be grateful for an honest assessment from recent cruisers - does Carnival deserve its new reputation ?

OK, here's my honest assessment. I've been on 60+ Carnival cruises and 20+ Norwegian cruises.

I have never seen the type of behavior you're concerned about on Carnival, but part of that may be due to the fact that I'm not hanging out in the bar areas nor am I staying up past midnight. I'm a morning person.

This past Sunday, I just got off of a 7 day NCL cruise on The Escape. To be honest, the drinking package has really ruined NCL for me. There were drunk and obnoxious people everywhere at all times of the day and night. Carnival always seems to get the bad rap for outrageous party behavior, and while it may happen more frequently on the shorter cruises, which I've done many of, I just don't see that behavior that people complain about. I can't ever say that again about NCL. The crew was great. The food was great, but the guests were the worst. Not only the drunks but the chair hogs too.

So, now my next 15 or so booked cruises are coming up on Carnival and I can't wait to be back "home".

I don't cruise during holidays, spring or summer break. Never seen any problems.

I’ve been on 8 Carnival cruises now and have never experienced anything that I would consider “bad behavior.” Yes, you will encounter a rude person or two. But that’s true of any place, including other on cruise lines. Not everyone in this world has good manners. But, we have thoroughly enjoyed our cruises and have met lots of nice people. Some of which I still stay in contact with today. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Carnival to anyone. I would say that the nice people amount to about 99% and only about 1% are bad apples that I wouldn’t choose to cruise with, given a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

More on NCL with unlimited drinking, Carnival has actually left it's "90's behind and generally is a fine cruise....

Having said that out of 28 cruises I've seen some bad behavior, both passengers and crew (usually not crew but it happens)... not every cruise and thankfully not most but across Carnvial/NCL/RCCL/Celebrity... in fact a 4 night cruise on Celebrity during the beginning of spring break almost made us not go back (to Celebrity) but it was a one-time event.

GO - ENJOY!

I have been on many, many Carnival cruises. I don't recall ever seeing bad behavior, just the usual drunks.

The last cruise on Paradise a few weeks ago, I saw much more security out and about. Not sure why this was, but it was a cruise to Cuba. All the passengers were very well behaved. It was a really nice crowd.

Happy Sailing!

OK, here's my honest assessment. I've been on 60+ Carnival cruises and 20+ Norwegian cruises.

I have never seen the type of behavior you're concerned about on Carnival, but part of that may be due to the fact that I'm not hanging out in the bar areas nor am I staying up past midnight. I'm a morning person.

This past Sunday, I just got off of a 7 day NCL cruise on The Escape. To be honest, the drinking package has really ruined NCL for me. There were drunk and obnoxious people everywhere at all times of the day and night. Carnival always seems to get the bad rap for outrageous party behavior, and while it may happen more frequently on the shorter cruises, which I've done many of, I just don't see that behavior that people complain about. I can't ever say that again about NCL. The crew was great. The food was great, but the guests were the worst. Not only the drunks but the chair hogs too.

So, now my next 15 or so booked cruises are coming up on Carnival and I can't wait to be back "home".

We've been doing NCL out of NYC the past couple of years......alot of fun, but I would agree the New York/New England gang along with the unlimited drinks....ya its certainly the roughest I have seen also.

Every cruise is a different and maybe isolated experience; since many of us take only one or two a year at most, it's reasonable that they leave a lasting impression - for better or worse. I'm going by the cruise we just finished on Sunday - the Breeze out of Galveston. The passenger mix, and the conditions/behaviors I saw were light-years different than on my last cruise, which was RCCL to the Med out of Barcelona, or the one before that which was an Alaska south-bound, also on RCCL.

It's easy for anyone who wasn't there to assume I'm lying, or have an axe of some kind to grind but that's just not the case. We've sailed Carnival 3 previous times and though we understood what we were getting. We are not particularly "high-brow" and come from rather humble roots, so socio-economic demographic shock wasn't the issue either. It was, plain and simply, a whole bunch of startlingly boorish individuals who either didn't know or didn't care about the most basic level of decent, polite behavior in a public setting.

We encountered countless sloppy drunks at all hours who accosted us to hug, cry, rant and just generally make a spectacle of themselves. Were they just trying to be "friendly"? We witnessed two separate fights amongst groups (that appeared to be known to one another) that necessitated Security breaking them up. The vulgar language and inappropriate dress of many passengers on the pool decks was cringe-inducing. The pool decks themselves were filthy with debris from food, drink, smoking, whatever - the crew really couldn't keep up and the bathrooms were worse than I've seen at truck-stops with feces and vomit often spewed on the floors and walls. I even saw two instances of men hawking loogies onto the deck as they walked along.

Was this all I saw? No, there were obviously many other instances of "normal" people going about having a regular good time in ways that you would expect. But as is human nature, those aren't the impressions that stuck. Going by our experience only, (and not really caring whether anyone else believes this account), we won't be booking Carnival again, nor would we in good faith be able to recommend it.

Every cruise is a different and maybe isolated experience; since many of us take only one or two a year at most, it's reasonable that they leave a lasting impression - for better or worse. I'm going by the cruise we just finished on Sunday - the Breeze out of Galveston. The passenger mix, and the conditions/behaviors I saw were light-years different than on my last cruise, which was RCCL to the Med out of Barcelona, or the one before that which was an Alaska south-bound, also on RCCL.

It's easy for anyone who wasn't there to assume I'm lying, or have an axe of some kind to grind but that's just not the case. We've sailed Carnival 3 previous times and though we understood what we were getting. We are not particularly "high-brow" and come from rather humble roots, so socio-economic demographic shock wasn't the issue either. It was, plain and simply, a whole bunch of startlingly boorish individuals who either didn't know or didn't care about the most basic level of decent, polite behavior in a public setting.

We encountered countless sloppy drunks at all hours who accosted us to hug, cry, rant and just generally make a spectacle of themselves. Were they just trying to be "friendly"? We witnessed two separate fights amongst groups (that appeared to be known to one another) that necessitated Security breaking them up. The vulgar language and inappropriate dress of many passengers on the pool decks was cringe-inducing. The pool decks themselves were filthy with debris from food, drink, smoking, whatever - the crew really couldn't keep up and the bathrooms were worse than I've seen at truck-stops with feces and vomit often spewed on the floors and walls. I even saw two instances of men hawking loogies onto the deck as they walked along.

Was this all I saw? No, there were obviously many other instances of "normal" people going about having a regular good time in ways that you would expect. But as is human nature, those aren't the impressions that stuck. Going by our experience only, (and not really caring whether anyone else believes this account), we won't be booking Carnival again, nor would we in good faith be able to recommend it.

We recently cruised the Horizon out of NYC. Have cruised 25 times the majority with Carnival. This one was the worst as far as behavior. There was a fist fight on the lido deck over deck chairs. There was a huge fight right outside our cabin door that necessitated about 7 or 8 security. I heard some pretty scary things being screamed out by the couple fighting. Scary enough that we closed the door and wouldnt leave until security had it under control. Endless babies in diapers in the pool with nothing said and in the hot tub. A large group in the steakhouse with children running around and one in a diaper and no clothes being allowed to run around . One child dragging another across the floor by his shirt. Just an example of some of the behavior on this cruise.

A large group in the steakhouse with children running around and one in a diaper and no clothes being allowed to run around . One child dragging another across the floor by his shirt. Just an example of some of the behavior on this cruise.

WOW! I would have been out of there after about 2 minutes and standing in line to complain loudly about my disaster of dinner.

Just not right, nor were the other problems but you pay to go eat at somewhere that is supposed to be a bit "refined"

WOW! I would have been out of there after about 2 minutes and standing in line to complain loudly about my disaster of dinner.

Just not right, nor were the other problems but you pay to go eat at somewhere that is supposed to be a bit "refined"

We dine in the steakhouse on every cruise and I have never seen anything like it. The worst thing is the parents who do nothing and the servers who have to put up with it. You're right - we should have left.

My honest assessment? If you go during spring break you will have a large number of young drunks being loud and acting pretty disgusting. So I never go then. You will always have some adults that are drunk at stupid, and completely classless as well. But the one thing that has me on verge of leaving the only cruise line I have ever sailed is the out of control kids, the inattentive parents, and the complete failure of the ship's staff to hold either of them accountable.

With each and every cruise I have taken, the kids get worse, more out of control. At this point I have already seen people hurt.

This is where the super-parents will jump in and say "Oh I have seen plenty of drunk adults acting bad!" I'm sure you have. Congratulations. Go ahead and tell me that YOUR kids are perfectly well mannered, I get it. Your kids are not the ones I'm talking about then.

I'm telling you the truth. The kids are unattended, and running around in unchecked packs until the early morning hours. The go wherever they want, including every hot tub, bar and the serenity decks. They knock elderly people over and keep moving. They drink. They have sex in the covered lounges. One kid threw a glass bottle off the lido deck and down 10 decks into the atrium bar, narrowly missing a man's head. it could have killed him. While THAT family was removed from the ship, I have seen virtually NO action of any kind, on any other ships. When you report the behavior to the a crewmember, they just smile at you and say there is nothing they can do. The CD herself on the Carnival Legend refused to take action regarding kids that were leaping back and forth from the front row of seats to the stage DURING the show. Her actual response when made aware of this? "What do you want ME to do about it?"

Hope that answers your question Winchester Ranger;57056143. Go ahead and flame away super parents, I don't care.

have you all noticed the Winchester Ranger rode into the sunset, so the thread is a mute point. Some good people, some bad people, some rude people, some polite, some drunk, some sober, the end

Has not even been a week since the thread was started. Perhaps WR has more important things to do like handle weather or whatever.

As far as this thread, one could find it on any cruise line because human nature and behaviour as a whole has gone down hill. People spent a lot of money to go on vacation and they are gonna darn well do as they want.

Besides the phrase, "Hey you will never see these folks again" might just be taken to heart a bit too much.

As for OP, It was a nice idea but I think many folks have many ideas on the subject of Carnival. I would like to say that as a Corporation with lots of choices, I like them. Carnival goes into some locations and helps to develop the port and create jobs. As for people who travel on Carnival, they are on all the lines (well except for perhaps the very expensive ones).