Live from the Spirit, September 10th to 25th, Tilbury to New York City

spinnaker2

Most cruised cruiser announced at the Venetian party was two thousand and something days ... I wish! However, I did get my certificate for 250 days
Wow! As much as I love cruising, I couldn't imagine being on the water that many days. Now, 250-days, that's a more manageable goal. :) Congrats on the extra 10% off each voyage from here on out!

I probably won't ever reach 250-days in my lifetime as after 10-years of sailing with SS I still haven't reached "free" laundry status. :')

jollyjones

Do go on the Cloud if you have time and if possible try and check out a veranda suite. I think you will be very surprised at the "now" lack of storage space since the so called upgrade. It is also worth checking out what they have done to the theatre. We have cancelled all future cruises that we had booked on the Cloud as we cannot consider it any way an expedition ship

Tomorrow we are on the Wind for lunch and looking forward to that

Well, it depends if we really are both in at the same time and the weather isn’t awful and we aren’t too far apart.

That said, it’d only be for nostalgia, having cruised on her pre-conversion, I have no interest in expedition cruising. Also, storage is irrelevant, I cruise solo and only with hand luggage, there’s always way more than I need.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here we are in St John's and the Cloud is in too but she's docked a fair way away and it's so cold, grey and depressing I currently feel no inclination to go ashore.

I'm definitely not an expedition cruiser, I consider myself laid back, others would say lazy, but I don't see the point in making myself cold, wet and miserable for pleasure.

I think we've been a bit unlucky with the weather this year, maybe next year will be better, I'm doing this same itinerary on the Whisper.

PS One great improvement on the new Spirit is that Moss's announcements are clearly audible in the cabin without having to open the door - not uncomfortably loud but definitely audible. I am reminded of this because he has just announced that it is not only cold outside but very windy and has started to rain so anyone taking their suite umbrella ashore is asked to open it carefully so it doesn't blow inside out.

Edited by jollyjones

Yes weather is dreadfully dreary. I do have my ski parka, and if we decide to venture out I will be wearing it. The Cloud is docked where we were docked last April on the Muse TA, and its a bit of a trek.

DH enjoyed lobster last night, specially prepared for him. He was happy!

Yes weather is dreadfully dreary. I do have my ski parka, and if we decide to venture out I will be wearing it.
You may be amazed to note that we've had 9-straight days of record breaking heat in the Rockies. The weather has been glorious and the aspen stunning. We're taking full advantage as we know the snow will be flying soon enough.

Well, the Captain just announced that the weather is actually deteriorating and things will be pretty rocky for the next day. That being said, we will miss our port tomorrow in St. Pierre (the French territory off the coast of Newfoundland). We will cruise on, ahead of the bad weather, and then anchor tomorrow evening in the harbor off Sydney, NS.

Too bad, we were looking forward to a new experience, but would prefer to miss tomorrow than our port today, St. John’s. It was pretty nasty outside, as you all heard, but we had our gear and headed out for our geological excursion. So we learned a lot about Newfoundland and Labrador (and plate tectonics) and also got to experience a taste of what seems to be a pretty cool and quirky place. And yet, we were very happy to get back on board our cozy Spirit! Nice lunch in La Terraza and then reading in Dolce Vita.

DH enjoyed lobster last night, specially prepared for him. He was happy!

Thanks for all the good information in this report.

I am taking my first SS cruise early next year, and am not sure of all the dining protocols.

In which restaurant did DH have the lobster, and what is the procedure of having it special ordered?

Thanks

Bob

Well, we bounced a bit coming across the pond but clearly nothing like what Mino is expecting - we’ve had the ‘secure all loose objects’ recommendation. Not quite out of the harbour yet, we await developments.

Since it’s an ill wind etc ... one good thing is that we now go back half an hour tonight instead of forward half an hour then back an hour after leaving St Pierre. Shouldn’t really matter but after so many time changes I’m increasingly uncertain whether I want scrambled eggs or a gin and tonic. First world problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ship is moving and shaking a bit now, but nothing too serious. I like a little movement and while sleeping, it is a bit of a tonic. Anyway, I am not too concerned.

We did not get to the Cloud. Took some photos, but she was a ways away and with the really cold and rainy weather, we just didn’t even try. We are going to be on her in January, so we will get what we get. We loved her in her previous incarnation, so I am sure we will be fine with her Expedition mode.

We had been scheduled to have dinner at Hot Rocks/Grill tonight, but this afternoon, we switched to La Terrazza. Had a really nice meal, and lo and behold, right next to us were a couple who had come over on the 2016 Spirit Crossing with us. She recognized me, and then we all remembered our previous meeting. We had a great time chatting across the table. There are probably a lot more folks out and about here who did the 2016 crossing. Who knows?

Had a really nice meal, and lo and behold, right next to us were a couple who had come over on the 2016 Spirit Crossing with us. She recognized me, and then we all remembered our previous meeting. We had a great time chatting across the table.

Reading this reminds me of why I like SS so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After many voyages on the Whisper and Shadow, I am accustomed to going to the Panorama Lounge at 6:30 to get some coffee - this keeps room service from ringing the door bell and waking my husband. Is there any place on the Spirit where coffee is self serve early in the morning?

Jgmc, they have the Arts Cafe which opens at 6:30 am. It is new addition to the Muse and Spirit, and one which SS desperately needed in order to keep up with other luxury cruise lines (Crystal Bistro, Regent Coffee Connection, Seabourn Square) where there is made to order coffee for cruisers. Now, at Arts Cafe, you can order at the counter for take away or at a seat from a server. There is also a pot of brewed coffee near the outdoor doors that is self - serve (also hot water and teas).

This is all a great improvement, but I do wish they had one of the self - serve machines where you could get a latte or hot chocolate or whatever without involving staff. Most hotel lounges have them and certainly Regent does, so many SS will consider this for the future.

The Arts Cafe is open from 06:30... I go there every morning for a take-away cafe latte (well two actually because the Dixie cups they use are on the small size) then trek the entire length of the ship to enjoy them in Tors Observation Library, thus combining morning caffeine fix with exercise 😉

Appreciate these continued great details and follow-ups from ALL on this fascinating trans-Atlantic sailing. Keep up the great sharing!!

BUT, from other reports in the past, I remember and sense that such northern Atlantic crossing can be fairly challenged with weather. Right or wrong? Is it worth the risk for bad weather? What are the odds for marginal weather with this routing at this time of the year? 50%? 25%? 10%?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 35,378 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

The Arts Cafe is open from 06:30... I go there every morning for a take-away cafe latte (well two actually because the Dixie cups they use are on the small size) then trek the entire length of the ship to enjoy them in Tors Observation Library, thus combining morning caffeine fix with exercise 😉

Nice! Sounds like something I would do :-)

Hey Terry, I think you can probably do some Google research to get some accurate info - all I can give is my personal experience. This is our third east to west crossing on the Atlantic. The first two were Southern - starting in Lisbon and ending in the Caribbean or Florida. This is our first Northerly route. The length of the actual “crossing”is shorter on this cruise, but it has definitely been more rocky. But we like rocky, so would do it again. On the other hand, for the poolside folks, the Southern routes may be more attractive. We have had to cancel our two Hot Rocks reservations (made on land weeks ago) due to weather. But that hasn’t stressed us too much, since there are so many other venues. Also, there are nice interior places to while away the day as well. Dolce Vita (or DV as we now refer to it) is a good daytime hangout.

Hey Terry, I think you can probably do some Google research to get some accurate info - all I can give is my personal experience. This is our third east to west crossing on the Atlantic. The first two were Southern - starting in Lisbon and ending in the Caribbean or Florida. This is our first Northerly route. The length of the actual “crossing”is shorter on this cruise, but it has definitely been more rocky. But we like rocky, so would do it again. On the other hand, for the poolside folks, the Southern routes may be more attractive. There are nice interior places to while away the day as well. Dolce Vita (or DV as we now refer to it) is a good daytime hangout.

Appreciate these good, interesting details, comments and follow-up for norther vs. southern trans-Atlantic routings. Very helpful!! My sense is that, like with many things in life, you can adapt under good or less than ideal conditions or circumstances. We have never done such a trans-Atlantic journey. It is not on our top priority list for the next year or two. Too many other places now needing our attention where we have never visited.

BUT, a T-A is something we definitely want to try in the future. Nice sharing. Do any others have opinions or experiences to post?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 240,135 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

pizza last night in spaccanopoli. yummy.

as far as special orders, they must be requested 24 hours in advance and then they are served in Atlantide.

the rules are changing now, best to confer with your butler once aboard.

its actually sunny today, but cold.

many pax are heading off, but this is quite a brief stop.

this afternoon we have an appetizer workshop with chef david.

all good!