The "What If" and "Just in Case" blues

CasaM

My biggest problem when packing is What If and Just in Case. I'm trying to pack light and I usually end up with 2 or 3 plastic bags full of this stuff....band aids, liquid bandage, stretchy elbow and knee braces, moleskin, extra toothbrush, small flashlight, and on and on. I usually never use anything or at most one or two things....but What If I need something else. Anyone else have the What If blues? How do you handle this?

My biggest problem when packing is What If and Just in Case. I'm trying to pack light and I usually end up with 2 or 3 plastic bags full of this stuff....band aids, liquid bandage, stretchy elbow and knee braces, moleskin, extra toothbrush, small flashlight, and on and on. I usually never use anything or at most one or two things....but What If I need something else. Anyone else have the What If blues? How do you handle this?

I used to be the same way. I was a terrible over-packer out of a fear of not having something that I may need. The best thing that happened to me was flying to Europe for a two week trip and having the airline misplace my luggage for a few days. I got to the hotel in London with nothing but the clothes on my back and a few things in my carry-on (knitting, kindle, earplugs, etc...). It was basically the worst case scenario that I had been trying to avoid my whole life.

I ended up running to a store nearby and buying a pair of pants, a couple of tops, underwear, and toiletries. I was out about $100 and an hour of my day. That was it! It was nowhere near the disaster I envisioned it. I realized then that not having something really wasn't that big of a deal. If I could make it without essentials, I could totally do without the extras. When my luggage arrived, I even had a laugh about how much stuff I packed and ended up emptying a few things out before heading to our next city.

When I pack now, with each item I want to put in my bag, I ask myself "What is the worst case scenario if you don't pack this?" If it would be a big deal not to have it, then I pack it. If not, it stays home. It certainly won't work for everyone, but that's how I stopped packing the what-if items.

Keep in mind that the ship will sell things like band-aids, toothbrushes and toothpaste, throat lozenges, etc. Also, if you arrive to a hotel and your luggage doesn't, most hotels have a free amenity kit with basics (I have had to use them twice).

We carry a "what if" pack :) bandaids, flashlight, OTC pain meds, cough medicine, allergy stuff, other stuff for other congestion, etc. I am in AWE that you only ever use one or two things :) We are guaranteed to use at least the bandaids, tensor bandage, and pain meds. And we have used all the rest at some time, too.

I used to pack "what if" clothing, and stopped when I realized that I never used it. Never.

Edited by VennDiagram

Sadly I am a prisoner of "what if & just in case". I am an over thinker who wants to be prepared for everything that might come my way. I promised myself that my next trip, in January, I am going carry on only. We will see if I can do it...lol :p

I have a first aid kit I always take. It contains things like, Tylenol, Tums, Bandaids, Neosporin, anti-itch cream. These are the what ifs we pack. If I remember I put a flashlight in the bag. Other than that I pack what I know I need everyday. I like options, so I do overpack. But, we drive to port so luggage is not an issued for us.

I am also a "just in case" packer. I think for me it stems from when I traveled with my kids and we were broke. It would have KILLED me to pay $10 for ibuprofen when I already had it in my cabinet at home.

So I compromise. I travel with a small mesh type container. It's a zippered case, gusseted, about 4 or 5 inches tall, about the same in length and 2.5 inches in width. It was a freebie from Crabtree and Evelyn years ago. That's my emergency kit.

I now tend to plan for what would I need in the moment, not the week. So I pack a couple of different OTC meds (in small ziplock bags that are about 1 inch by 2 inches), a few throat lozenges, fold up scissors (I use these a lot and they are surprisingly good), a mini sized permanent ink marker, a couple of the key chain sized mini flashlights with a strong beam, can opener, mini sewing kit, band aids, and believe it or not, I still have about half the space left! One thing I really have used is diaper pins....they are strong and can fix a broken strap, etc and take up almost no room.

I mentally "need" my emergency kit. It buys me peace of mind.

For the record, I don't always just do carryon. For a cruise or longer vacation, I would ship through my regular suitcase....it's 24 x 15 ½ x 10 (49 inches). So just a little bigger than a carry-on. My carry-on is a tote type bag....the LeSPortSac medium travel tote (18.75" x 12.25" x 4") or the LeSPortSac backpack with drawstring (18.75" x 12.25" x 4")

If you have to take those "what if" and "just in case" things, you don't have to put them in one bag and take up space. Just wiggle them into the little nooks and crannies in the bag. bandaids will go anywhere, as will a little bottle of ibuprofen, etc. For something that could leak, some cling film under the lid and/ or going into the little snack-size plastic bags. Every little bit of space counts, and doing it this ways works for me.

I don't have "what ifs" or "just in case" items - I have a finely honed packing list after years of various types of travel. Some things you can find easily in a US city or on a large cruise ship just aren't available in some places.

That said - I do try to minimize. Things I haven't used in 20+ years of travel (moleskin) no longer make the cut. Compeed (blister) bandaids do. But I don't need a 30 days' supply either.

Do what you need to do for your mental health, but don't stress too much about it either.....

I carry all the "what if OTC meds and band aids. My DH has said "why". But when he needed them, he was glad that I packed them. I don't carry a large amount of each. I feel that if we to get sick, we will go to the ship's Dr. For me I don't take any OTC meds except Tylenol. I am going to ask my Dr. what things I can take. Not sure what mixes well with me or my RX's.

Edited by geocruiser

I don't have "what ifs" or "just in case" items - I have a finely honed packing list after years of various types of travel. Some things you can find easily in a US city or on a large cruise ship just aren't available in some places.

That said - I do try to minimize. Things I haven't used in 20+ years of travel (moleskin) no longer make the cut. Compeed (blister) bandaids do. But I don't need a 30 days' supply either.

Do what you need to do for your mental health, but don't stress too much about it either.....

Compeeds - my best friend when I travel! I always have some at home, too, for heel rub. I also grab a pack of the corn cushions for when my little toe gets irritated by rubbing on a shoe. No more Moleskin for me, either. If I get desperate, I'll use a bandaid and put some duct tape over it (yes, I carry duct tape) - an old backpacker's trick! I've upgraded my "regular" bandaids to the waterproof ones - they last longer on my skin than the "old fashioned" plastic or fabric ones.

Edited by slidergirl

Check out what is available in the sundries shop onboard this time. I'may with Hoyaheel I'm keeping things to what I actually need. Any trip less than 2 weeks I skip vitamins and stuff. Over 2 weeks I put all vitamins in one big jar. Only time I went for the "what if" was this last cruise to the Arctic. My doctor even gave me a 2 week course of a broad spectrum antibiotic just in case. All I needed was by Bar Harbor half the ship seemed to be coughing so sent the DH in town to get me some cough syrup. He was thrilled. They asked his birth date!

I have never been a "What If" packer. I can't remember the last time

I ever brought any type of band aids with me....actually never. I always

carry a small bottle of advil or aleve so that goes with me but

other than that? Clothes, shoes and toiletries. I was diagnosed with a

form of leukemia back in July and am on medication so of course that

is going with me. But as for what if and just in case? Nope, I am a very

low maintenance packer.

I do the same thing, but I just carry small quantities. I even have gotten to the point I carry "what ifs" for my travel companions.

I carry a very small first aid kit (contains things that if I needed them I would want it RIGHT THEN not *to have to go *find a store or sundry shop) I also carry brand new small inserts for shoes (in case my feet hurt or start rubbing in my shoe) I have never used them but my friend has :)

a tiny flashlight super bright but very very small. A petite sewing kit about the size of half a credit card.

A small amount of duct tape wrapped *around a pencil.

Disinfectant wipes, tissue, small amount of soap (like those Soap sheets), swim suit, hand sanitizer, compression travel socks, disinfectant spray, rubber gloves (my mom started me with that...I thought she was crazy..but I actually used them I was really glad I had them :( ) extra quart size zip Lock bags, a collapsible tote bag with zipper, a sarong, *extra luggage locks, zip ties...I could go on :D

Everything in my what ifs *I have wished I had traveling (so the next time I shoved it in my bag) or it is something someone who was with me used (I should make them carry their own stuff :))

Most of the stuff I leave in my luggage and just Check it before my trip to see if it is expired or if I need more.

All of these thing together are smaller than a brick (although may weigh as much lol)

I have never once said "I wish I didn't bring that....." I think the key is to carry a small amount to get you through in case you really need it. (All the above mentioned items go in my carry on)

My problem sometimes are the clothes...the last Minute clothes that get shoved in, literally TEN MINUTES before I leave for the airport....maybe it will be colder than I think...maybe it will be warmer than I think....what is one more pair if gloves...lol

That's what I need my lists for...and to make sure I don't pack at the last minute...

tmee

I used to be the same way. I was a terrible over-packer out of a fear of not having something that I may need. The best thing that happened to me was flying to Europe for a two week trip and having the airline misplace my luggage for a few days. I got to the hotel in London with nothing but the clothes on my back and a few things in my carry-on (knitting, kindle, earplugs, etc...). It was basically the worst case scenario that I had been trying to avoid my whole life.

I ended up running to a store nearby and buying a pair of pants, a couple of tops, underwear, and toiletries. I was out about $100 and an hour of my day. That was it! It was nowhere near the disaster I envisioned it. I realized then that not having something really wasn't that big of a deal. If I could make it without essentials, I could totally do without the extras. When my luggage arrived, I even had a laugh about how much stuff I packed and ended up emptying a few things out before heading to our next city.

When I pack now, with each item I want to put in my bag, I ask myself "What is the worst case scenario if you don't pack this?" If it would be a big deal not to have it, then I pack it. If not, it stays home. It certainly won't work for everyone, but that's how I stopped packing the what-if items.

Beautifully said! This is what I do now too. I only pack things that I know I'm going to use because I've used them in the past. If I'm convinced I can live without something...I just don't take it.

Great advice!

I don't overthink it any longer. I take a few things in a small pencil case sized bag that I know we could possibly use and a very small amount. (Pain relief, antacid, stomach upset med, few bandaids, soap sheets, very small flashlight and hand sanitizer) We pack in carry ons, so it takes very little space in our bag. I was a serious overpacker and it feels so good just to take just what we need these days. When we return home, it's a lot less to put away.

I have a suitcase or small bag that's soft sided that I keep packed at all times that I keep everything I would need for a shower/overnight stay. I use it for camping/overnight trips and I check it in when we get on an airplane. When I get low on something like shampoo or toothpaste I will throw the half empty item in my real bathroom and replace it with a full size so I do not run out of anything. Its not real big and not too heavy and it makes packing so much easier. I do have a small first aid kit (very small for small emergencies) and things like sunblock inside it.

I have another bag for camping that I keep those cool towels/extra batteries/a small bottle of laundry soap/bounce/change purse of quarters for laundry machines/ flashlights and other stuff like that ...but I usually only take that one on camping trips.

San :)

San :)

• 2 weeks later...

I take quite a lot of "What Ifs" but I travel with one carry-on bag & large purse. Aspirin, bandages, essential oils in 2 ml bottles, individual bug repellent wipes, bug bite stuff, charcoal capsules (for food poisoning -- we've needed them more than once), individual hand wipes, kleenex, TUMS, chapstick, various other items. I pack them in baggies & stuff in crevices. I also make up a "Day Pack" for each of us to keep in a pocket on shore days -- it's a sandwich bag with a few of each of the things listed. They're often used.

With clothes, I pack something lighter & something heavier than I expect to need. They don't take up much room, but sometimes are lifesavers when the weather surprises even the forecasters.

• 3 weeks later...