Rain Gear vs Sweating

aldavid18

We have waterproof rain coats that work flawlessly and we are happy with them. However, recently in Copenhagen we got an all day rain storm and planned on walking all day. We did, but by having the rain coats "buttoned up" and sweating while walking our normal shirts got as wet as they would have if we had no rain coat. Do you have any suggestions on summer base layers that wick enough moisture away to keep you dry while still keeping you cool? Several others on our cruise had the same issues. Thanks in advance:)

Indeed, some had ponchos and they got as wet or wetter. They were cheapie ones that blew all over the place and that probably didn't help, plus the sleeves on their clothes soaked up a ton of water. Maybe a better quality one may have worked better. I've struggled with this for awhile and have wondered if something like a light merino wool or synthetic t shirt used for hiking would be any better. They sound like they may work, but was just wunderin' some more :)

Our jackets are not Goretex, but I have a bunch at home that are. It works marginally better, but still get clammy. Although some of those used more in the early fall, late spring when temps are cooler. Maybe a lightweight Goretex shell would have been a better choice. Some had velcro/zipper vents in arm pit area for ventilation too. All in hind sight and budgetary hind sight of course:):)

Merino Wool shirts. There are summer weights and winter weights for the fabric. It wicks and it dries quickly. Added benefit in that it doesn't stink like slinky technical fabrics tend to. I had a hard time picturing myself wearing wool in the summer or anytime the weather was warmer, but I had found a long sleeved hoodie in summer merino wool that could function as a good sunscreen shirt and it was FABULOUS. Unlike my tech fabric rash guard, the merino wool was SO breathable. I did still sweat a bit but the second I was back in air conditioning, but shirt was dry in a matter of minutes. LOVE my merino wool. I like SmartWool brand and also Icebreaker.

I have various brands of Merino wool or synthetic socks like Thorlo, Wigwam, and Smartwool and wear them exclusively. I really like the Thorlo light hiking socks for work, they work great for sweaty feet. I had a rather extensive talk yesterday with Mountain Equipment Co-op here in Canada about their recommendations for such a shirt and they too recommended a Merino wool/synthetic blend shirt. Said the lighter ones would work fine in summer. However, they did state we would probably still sweat due to the nature of the coat. But, the material would wick it away quicker and would dry very quickly compared to a normal cotton shirt. Prices for them were reasonable as well. Think I will pick one up, give it a test, and see what shakes out. Thanks all for your experiences and input, appreciate it:):):)