San Diego Hotel to ship question

49erteacher

I will be leaving from San Diego on the Amsterdam next year. As a senior solo traveler who uses a mobility scooter, I am wondering about getting my luggage to the ship. Usually I have an Uber or taxi from the hotel to the pier and just drop the luggage with the HAL porters at the terminal. This time I am considering booking a hotel across the street from the pier. Problem: I can’t get to the pier with my luggage by myself. For those who have sailed out of San Diego do you think I could pay a hotel porter to go with me to the pier or might it be better to stay further away and take an Uber/taxi to the port? Thanks in advance.

Edited by 49erteacher
Typos

I would e mail or call the hotel and ask if their free airport shuttle would drop you at the pier and help you with your luggage.

There are many other hotels with shuttles to the pier and airport if the Wyndham, across the street from the pier , won't do it for you.

I've stayed at the hotel across from the SD cruise terminal both when it was branded as a Holiday Inn and also in May 2018 when branded as a Wyndham. While we just walked across the street to the terminal it seems to me that when branded as a Wyndham property there was an offer to transfer to the ship. If my memory is correct there was a statement in their property amenities book (in the hotel room) to the effect that assistance to the cruise terminal could be arranged. Definitely call the property and ask.

The Hampton Inn on Pacific Highway, one block away from the Wyndam, will take you to the cruise terminal. I've never used their service only because I can walk on my own, and while I'm walking into the terminal their shuttle van is still waiting in the drop off line.

Roz

Others have mentioned Wyndham San Diego Bayside which is directly across the street from the cruise terminal, and may be the one you're considering. This is where we'll be parking for our December sailing on Eurodam.

I would recommend this hotel if you want to be close to the terminal, and they do offer free shuttle service to the terminal - the below excerpt comes from their website..

"If you would like to use the shuttle to travel to the cruise ship terminal you must make a reservation with the hotel concierge after you arrive at the Wyndham Bayside."

We just cancelled the reservations we had at the Hampton Inn and The Wyndham. We decided we weren’t that concerned with staying close to the ship. There are Uber’s and taxis all over. We’re staying at the Hotel Republic since we can use our Marriott points. It’s only a mile from the port and looks like a nice hotel with restaurants &bars within walking distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums