Anytime dining or set time?

gullcruiser

Some things are meant to be eaten with the hands (bbq ribs), but probably not the meals served at dinner on a cruise ship.

One of our favorite dining experiences was with the Spanish guitarist from Turkey on a Mediterranean Cruise. He had some fascinating tales to tell.

That's hilarious to read, but probably not as much to witness ;-). I think I would've asked for another table after the first night. We have met some wonderful people, and usually get along well even with others who don't share our values. But the eating with hands thing would've been the final straw.

Last cruise, we were at a table for eight. Three single women sharing a birthday month cruise, and three others celebrating their divorces (!). dh was the only male there and we've been married a long time. Made for some interesting conversation. One of the divorcees insisted on using the phrase, "I'm not going to be anyone's purse or anyone's nurse," at least once every fifteen minutes.

That's hilarious,,as the saying around here for men who are married to a nurse is that they have a "nurse with a purse". It's usually a pretty solid career, but so incredibly stressful these days.

• 3 months later...

I am so sad reading some of these stories from solo cruisers. No one should be lonely on a cruise. Ignoring someone at your table is just unacceptable.

Maybe the cruise line should have a question on the online check-in asking the solo cruiser 1. Do you want to be seated with other solo cruisers ? 2. Which Dining time would you like to choose. (Anytime Dining should not be an option because you run into the issue). MD should know ahead of time who the solo cruisers are. His job is to make sure everyone is happy. Any thoughts?

Edited by 2psoki
Forgot a sentence.

(Anytime Dining should not be an option because you run into THE ISSUE).

Issues crop up with any seating arrangement (as the stories above relate). As You Wish Dining on HAL is lovely for one, two, or three. We often share with 'singles' in that situation and, as I am talkative, always engage them in pleasant convo.

"should not be an option" seems harsh and judgmental. Perhaps a person LIKES to sit alone or take their chances day to day, risking a poor experience for the possibility of new friends.