Aqaba What to Do

What is there to do close to cruise port for Aqaba. Does Princess Cruises have a shuttle into closest town. Petra and Wadi Run not on our agenda.

Any help much appreciated

I am also glad you asked this question. We have been to both Petra and Wadi Run and are looking for something else to do when in Aqaba. All suggestions welcomed.:)

We've ported at Aqaba twice, overnite on both cruises. Unless things have changed, it's a secure port - no walking in the port.

Our ship provided a free shuttle into town, about 3 miles away.

Having visited Petra and Wadi Rum on the first occasion, we took the shuttle - most passengers on the shuttle were crew-members catching up on shopping. Aqaba itself is grubby and has got nothing of interest, so we headed back to the ship within the hour. One of the hotels (Movenpick, I think) offers a day-pass but that sort of thing's not our scene.

Next day we paid a return visit to Wadi Rum and thoroughly enjoyed it again.

Folk had forewarned us that the Dead Sea from Aqaba was a long & boring drive, and the "Dead Sea" was merely a hotel with its own access. We've since visited Jerusalem, Masada, and the Dead Sea from Ashdod - and that trip really was worthwhile.

I really think you should get out of your armchair and go to Petra or Wadi Rum or both.

But I can understand cruisergirl's dilemma.

We had considered crossing the border to Eilat, Israel.

It's only 10 miles, and just a couple or three miles across the Gulf from your ship, but the border makes life complicated. If you use a taxi the driver can only take you to the border. You then cross on foot, but I could glean no info on the availability of taxis on the Israeli side. So we gave it a miss.

You might have more perseverance than us - for instance finding out if a private tour operator can do the job.

Or the Saudi border is only about 20 minutes from Aqaba - but whether that's any easier, or there's anything of interest ............. :confused:.

JB :)

JB Thank you for the information on getting into town.

It would seem that you assumed too much when you suggested I get out of my armchair and visit Wadi Run & Petra.

The name Armchair Cruiser came about when asked by Cruise Critic for a site name: I happened to be sitting in an armchair perusing (cruising) travel sites on the net. I thought it appropriate at the time and still do as we continue to travel for 5 months a year without relying on travel agents.

Hence, my selective question "what was close to the port"

I will not make any further comments.

• 2 weeks later...

There is really nothing to the local town other than some restaurants. Some cruise lines offer shuttles and others don't so a taxi would be best. As mentioned there is not much to the town so I would plan a short visit or stay on the ship if Petra is not of interest to you. You can make a it a quiet day on the ship as many people will be on all day tours.

I know this was not the question but I would say that the lost city of Petra was one of the most unique and interesting sites we have ever visited. It is about a 90 minute drive each way. We enjoyed it so much we have been there on two different cruises and would do it again. There are areas we wanted to see again and new areas we didn't have time to get to the first time and the weather makes a difference. First time was hot and sunny. Second time was cooler and overcast. The colors were different and that made each visit unique.

Keith

There is really nothing to the local town other than some restaurants. Some cruise lines offer shuttles and others don't so a taxi would be best. As mentioned there is not much to the town so I would plan a short visit or stay on the ship if Petra is not of interest to you. You can make a it a quiet day on the ship as many people will be on all day tours.

I know this was not the question but I would say that the lost city of Petra was one of the most unique and interesting sites we have ever visited. It is about a 90 minute drive each way. We enjoyed it so much we have been there on two different cruises and would do it again. There are areas we wanted to see again and new areas we didn't have time to get to the first time and the weather makes a difference. First time was hot and sunny. Second time was cooler and overcast. The colors were different and that made each visit unique.

Keith

I have been to Aqaba two years ago. Went to Petra and Wadi. This time I will be going with my husband, but he is satisfied with ALL the pictures I took and is not interested in seeing Petra or Wadi. I believe that seeing it once was very nice and interesting, but once was enough. My traveling companion decided not to go to Petra as she was afraid that her health problems may interfere, so she went into town and said it wasn't worth the trip. That is why we are planning to go to Eilat on our next trip.

• 7 months later...
On 8/9/2018 at 6:25 PM, Keith1010 said:

Keith

Hi Keith .. which company did you use for Petra? Or did you self drive? Many thanks! 

15 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Hi Astrocat, we did the excursion privately through the cruise line.

Keith

Thanks  v much Keith, yes this is what I think we may do also on this occasion, as someone has just pointed out the penalty for missing the ship on this particular cruise at this particular port would be catastrophic in terms of catching the vessel up again ..

6 hours ago, astrocat said:

Thanks  v much Keith, yes this is what I think we may do also on this occasion, as someone has just pointed out the penalty for missing the ship on this particular cruise at this particular port would be catastrophic in terms of catching the vessel up again ..

You are very welcome.

Because of the 90 minute drive each way between port and ship we paid the extra dollars to do it through the cruise line but privately with them.

Good luck with all of this.

Keith