Fun on the Horizon 7/31-8/8

Hello everyone! Sailed on the Horizon 7/31-8/8 and loved oh so many things about this trip…

Embarkation/debarkation: Quick & easy! Arrived at pier (NYC) at 11:40,on the ship eating by noon. This was my third time sailing out of NYC, and it was by far the fastest. Rooms ready at 1:30, no problems at all. Debarkation was equally smooth.

Food:

Breakfast: The sea day brunch was okay. We actually preferred the options on the new port day menu. The avocado toast was awesome, and my friends loved the rustic sandwich. Tried Lido a couple of days too, no problems. My friends loved the Blue Iguana breakfast burritos.

There was a small buffet set up at Ocean Plaza on deck five, which was convenient for us since we were on decks five and seven.

If you love nicer coffees, be sure to visit Mocha Martin at the coffee shop on deck five. He’s hilarious and will know what you like by the second or third day! My friend loved the Cuban coffee back at the Havana bar, but it was only available after 10 am.

Lunch: Pig & Anchor buffet was good, loved the pork butt and some coleslaw. Blue Iguana naked burritos (no tortilla) and Guy’s burgers were great as usual. Don’t forget to try some of the watermelon jicama salad from the little condiment section when you go to Blue Iguana. Serenity has a really great salad bar on sea days.

Dinner: MDR food was good. I have Celiac, and they made sure all of my food was safe. Loved that the chef was able to make me a GF Grand Marnier soufflé! Steakhouse was great, as usual. Pig & Anchor appetizers available after 5:30 were awesome and only $4. Small portions, but definitely worth a try for an early snack. Also tried some sushi before dinner. They brought it over to me when I was having drinks at Alchemy! Friends went to Cucina one night and loved it.

Drinks:

Alchemy ladies are amazing! They were making us special drinks by the second day. After a day of too much sun, my eyes were super puffy, and AnnaMaria cut up some cucumbers for me!

Fun drinks at Pig & Anchor too. Loved the Southern Peach and my friends raved about the beer choices.

Great sangria at Ocean Plaza!

All of the bartenders were fun and took great care of everyone. We all had Cheers and took full advantage of it!

Rooms:

There were six of us in my group, and we were all in Havana cabins. One pair was in a cabana, the other were in an aft extended , and I was in an aft wrap on deck seven. If you are debating getting a Havana cabin, all I can say is BOOK IT! Loved having the quiet space away from the Lido craziness! We were back there for all four of our sea days. The beautiful weather was a great bonus. It was “crowded” at times and there were definitely chair hogs, but we were always able to find someplace to sit whether we wanted sun or shade. The aft wrap balcony was crazy big. Hosted a sunset viewing party back there on the last night. Eight people and we could have fit more! Friends were in a regular balcony and had no complaints.

Entertainment:

Since we were enjoying the Havana area so much and had such great weather, we didn’t do many of the daytime activities except for one trivia. There did seem to be lots going on though, and the Lido always had the typical sea day events planned.

Eden in the Piano Bar was fantastic on the first night, but when we went back a few nights later, it seemed like a repeat. Same songs, same stories...still worth checking him out!

Quest was absolutely hilarious, but the CD was kind of grumpy! Lots of directions and rules. Pretty sure my team was in the negative point range because we broke so many of the rules!

80s Glow party on Lido was a disappointment. Started fun, but it turned into a Thriller dance class/contest. Would have loved more music and singing.

Atrium events (90s night, White Night) were a lot of fun.

Friends raved about Celestial Strings. Some of the performers were part of the White Night, and they did sound great.

Crushed Velvet at Ocean Plaza always sounded great, and there was a horn section that joined them some nights.

Nightclub was hit or miss depending on what music you like.

Mike the CD did know how to get the crowd involved, and for the most part, I liked him. He was out greeting guests after every port, which was nice to see.

Ports:

Private Beach Break in Grand Turk: second time doing this one, and I will be going back in April and again in June. Buffet lunch ismokay, but I fed most of mine to the stray dogs wandering the beach! Loved the rum punch and relaxing in the beautiful ocean.

San Juan: ate at Chocobar Cortes, wandered around, visited one of the forts. It was crazy hot and humid!

Amber Cove: Three of us tried the Waterfalls of Damajagua excursion through Carnival and had an awesome time! Got a $30 price adjustment because I found it cheaper than Carnival’s price.

Miscellaneous:

Definitely try the brewery tour with Colin on sea days. It’s $25,but you get a great tour, take home pint glass, and lots of samples. I can’t drink the beer, but still had fun.

Loved all the outdoor seating options on Deck Five. So many comfy spaces in the sun or shade. The shade on deck 11 surrounding the Lido looked nice too.

Dr. Suess waterpark looked like a lot of fun for kids, and my friends loved the slides!

Pictures being digital was a nice change from the printed pic craziness! Didn’t order any, but it was nice to be able to pull up the pics using the Hub App. The Pixels area was crazy packed on the last sea day, so beware!

This ship is huge! Once I found what I liked, I didn’t really wander around much. Pretty sure I didn’t see at least 30-40% of the ship!

Would definitely book Horizon again, but only in a Havana cabin. So spoiled with that area and room!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

By any chance do you know if Cheers covered the home made lemonade at Guy's BBQ? It's rather expensive at 5.95. I know that Cheers is supposed to cover non alcoholic stuff, but the fresh squeezed OJ at Havana Bar is excluded, and I was just wondering about the lemonade. Thanks

By any chance do you know if Cheers covered the home made lemonade at Guy's BBQ? It's rather expensive at 5.95. I know that Cheers is supposed to cover non alcoholic stuff, but the fresh squeezed OJ at Havana Bar is excluded, and I was just wondering about the lemonade. Thanks

Hmm, I didn’t even know that they had home made lemonade Guy’s! Forgot about the OJ too now that you mention it...

We were on the same cruise and also had a great time! Anna and Zuzana at Alchemy were fantastic! We also loved the night time atrium trivia with Mike, I thought he was a great CD

Oh how I have been missing our 6:30 cocktails at Alchemy! Mike was a good CD, one of the better ones IMHO. However, I felt like he was ‘off’ during Quest, super grumpy about everything. No doubt this came from past complaints about this activity, but it was odd to me. Wasn’t a fan of the 80s party on the Lido either. Would have preferred music and dancing instead of the Thriller class with a few participants. The 90s and White Night parties in the atrium were a lot of fun!

Oh how I have been missing our 6:30 cocktails at Alchemy! Mike was a good CD, one of the better ones IMHO. However, I felt like he was ‘off’ during Quest, super grumpy about everything. No doubt this came from past complaints about this activity, but it was odd to me. Wasn’t a fan of the 80s party on the Lido either. Would have preferred music and dancing instead of the Thriller class with a few participants. The 90s and White Night parties in the atrium were a lot of fun!

We didn't do either of those activities but did do the 80s and 90s trivia nights and they were so much fun! The Atrium was packed.