Holland America's Westerdam Cruise Ship Emerges from Dry Dock With New Spaces

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:03 PM.
#61
Australia
1,229 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
I am really disappointed with the Crows Nest also. Looks like a sell, sell, sell place to me. Used to be such a peaceful place to be able to sit and watch the world go by.

Won't be going to the bar among the art work either. Never been to the art shows, not about to start now.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Strath


HAL Ms Zuiderdam Alaska 05/25/2013
Scenic Jade - Jewels of Europe 09/17/2014
Scenic Gem - Gems of the Seine 10/06/2014
Scenic Emerald - South of France 10/19/2014
HAL Ms Zuiderdam Mediterranean 04/14/2015
HAL Ms Noordam Aust/NZ 03/25/2016
#62
ohio
790 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Saling on her in Feb 2018 - I think the changes look great -- Love the crows next and now there is plenty of room to sit, chat, plan. Wont miss a 'disco' - it's 2017. Excited to see what this all looks like and I refuse to complain till I sail on her.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nordam 2/27/2015




Eurodam oct 09
Celebrity oct 04
#63
ohio
790 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by StLouisCruisers
I do needle crafts and need a sofa space instead of a chair to allow me to hold my cross stitch frame on my lap. Those sofas look horrible! I can't imagine sitting there for a couple hours chatting with my new best friends doing their own knitting/crocheting/cross stitching. Very disappointing!
and yet you haven't tried it yet --- hmmmm
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nordam 2/27/2015




Eurodam oct 09
Celebrity oct 04
#64
Seattle area
4,364 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Stratheden
I am really disappointed with the Crows Nest also. Looks like a sell, sell, sell place to me. Used to be such a peaceful place to be able to sit and watch the world go by.

Won't be going to the bar among the art work either. Never been to the art shows, not about to start now.
Still plenty of space in there to just sit and stare out a window... seriously?

And I think you mean the Gallery Bar (former Northern Lights nightclub)? That has nothing to do with the art gallery that sells pieces onboard. These are literally just pictures on the wall in a space that has a bar nearby. I get where the confusion could have come from, but this is completely different. Lovely space too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NEXT UP:
Nieuw Statendam Transatlantic Premier

HAL:
Amsterdam(5).....Eurodam (2)
Koningsdam.....Maasdam
Nieuw Amsterdam(2).....Noordam
Oosterdam(4).....Rotterdam
Ryndam.....Statendam(2)
Volendam(3).....Westerdam(6)
Zaandam(3).....Zuiderdam(2)

Celebrity:
Solstice

Carnival:
Breeze.....Magic.....Splendor(2)

Princess:
Crown.....Golden.....Ruby.....Star

Royal Caribbean:
Liberty of the Seas

Seabourn:
Sojourn
Norwegian:
Jewel.....Pearl(2).....Star
#65
Quilcene, Washington
2,341 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
EXC looks OK to me- still has the bar, coffee, and plenty of places to sit. Library has never been a big one for me- that's what my tablet is for. Perhaps HAL should partner with another Seattle company (Amazon) to offer book downloads on board for a reasonable fee. I remember a woman bringing back her library books that she picked up before she got hit with the "GI" bug. She said she was really glad to have them while quarantined in her room. They did close the library due to code red but anyone that already had books kept them until the code was lifted. No thanks- not enough hand washing can wipe the thought of her "sitting there" flipping pages on the library books.

Looking forward to seeing the changes. One question I haven't seen answered- looks in pictures like Chocolate Seduction is still there- anyone know?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Frank and Loren
Olympic Peninsula, WA
frankc98376@gmail.com
#66
Beautiful Tidewater, VA
460 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Sailed on the Oosterdam last year & the "new" Westerdam looks very similar... We'll see what it's like in just a few weeks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Fair winds and following seas~

Next Up! Westerdam, Med Oct 2017; Konigsdam, Southern Carib Dec 2017; Avalon Impression, Holland, April 2018; INSIGHT/MV Celestyal Olympia, Greece, Sept 2018
Avalon Tapestry II, Paris/Normandy/Paris, April 2017; Summit, Southern Carib, Dec 2016; Oosterdam, Western Med, Sept. 2016; Jewel, Southern Carib, Jan 2016: Prinsendam, Bordeaux, Sept 2015; Sunshine, Western Carib, Dec 2013; Eurodam, Baltic, May 2013; Equinox,"Ultimate Carib", Dec 2012; Equinox, Eastern Med, July 2012; Summit, Southern Carib, Dec 2011; Brilliance, Western Med, July 2011; Ryndam, Western Carib, Dec 2010; Noordam, Eastern Med, May 2009; Jewel, Southern Carib, Dec 2009; Rotterdam, Baltic, June 2008; Caribbean Princess, Western Carib, Dec 2008; Volendam, Southern Carib, Dec 2007; Prinsendam, Eastern Carib, Dec 2006; Juno, Gota Canal crossing Sweden, Aug 2006; Sea Princess, Panama Canal, Dec 2004; Coral Princess, Southern Carib, Dec 2003; Sea Princess, Eastern Carib, Dec 2002; Grand Princess, Eastern Carib, Dec 2001
#67
San Diego, CA
5,794 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by sofietucker
Sailed on the Oosterdam last year & the "new" Westerdam looks very similar... We'll see what it's like in just a few weeks!
So will we (30 Sep) and counting!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Otherwise known as 'Don Quique'..
#68
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
1,865 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Updating and change can be great -- as long as the baby is not thrown out with the bathwater.

Most of the recent renovation looks nice--but I would be greatful if anyone can confirm a few Superior Suite changes on the Westerdam -- because in 10 days we begin a 7-week stay in one:
  1. Are the convenient medicine cabinets really gone? If so, is there somewhere else to hygienically enclose your daily items (other than on the open shelf underneath the sinks or in hanging bags)?
  2. Has the TV moved from the desk (where athough it took up too much space it was at least visible from the bed AND from the sofa) to ABOVE the sofa? (You have to sit on the BED to watch???!!)
  3. The new photo shows the same old clunky wrought-iron glass-top one-level coffee table--rather than an adjustable-level table you could actually eat on. Is that still the deal? (I'm tempted to carry-on some TV tray tables.)
I dearly love nearly everything about HAL-- but sometimes I do wonder if the people who make design decisions have ever actually spent any time on a cruise ship (or looked at some similar brands' innovations)....


Thanks,
Mary-Lou
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Click HERE to email me.

Holland America 4-star
Celebrity Elite
Royal Caribbean Diamond
#69
ohio
790 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Tampa Girl
Until we see it in person, we won't really know how comfortable or uncomfortable is the new Crows Nest. And, even then, it is a matter of individual taste. So, till then . . .
Again I say - Have any of the complainers on this thread actually sailed on the remodeled ship???????????????
If you have I will listen to you --- if you haven't I'll tell what I think after I sail on her.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nordam 2/27/2015




Eurodam oct 09
Celebrity oct 04
#71
California
473 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by DrFUN
Updating and change can be great -- as long as the baby is not thrown out with the bathwater.

Most of the recent renovation looks nice--but I would be greatful if anyone can confirm a few Superior Suite changes on the Westerdam -- because in 10 days we begin a 7-week stay in one:
  1. Are the convenient medicine cabinets really gone? If so, is there somewhere else to hygienically enclose your daily items (other than on the open shelf underneath the sinks or in hanging bags)?
  2. Has the TV moved from the desk (where athough it took up too much space it was at least visible from the bed AND from the sofa) to ABOVE the sofa? (You have to sit on the BED to watch???!!)
  3. The new photo shows the same old clunky wrought-iron glass-top one-level coffee table--rather than an adjustable-level table you could actually eat on. Is that still the deal? (I'm tempted to carry-on some TV tray tables.)
I dearly love nearly everything about HAL-- but sometimes I do wonder if the people who make design decisions have ever actually spent any time on a cruise ship (or looked at some similar brands' innovations)....


Thanks,
Mary-Lou
Was on the Westerdam last month. Lovely Med cruise. The new big flat screen tv on the wall is great, and can be viewed from the bed and the sofa. The frame below it holds the cruise and info books, freeing up the desk top. There are two usb ports as well as the two us and two euro outlets at the back of the desk. There is also a usb port at each nightstand. The medicine cabinet is still in the bathroom.
I thought the layout of the crows nest was great. The one thing I really didn't like about the remodel, was the atrium. The carpet is garish and the rest dull and depressing.
Feel free to ask away.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app
#72
Montreal,eh?
19 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by esimon
Again I say - Have any of the complainers on this thread actually sailed on the remodeled ship???????????????
If you have I will listen to you --- if you haven't I'll tell what I think after I sail on her.
The lack of many things there(a true bar,books,etc.) isn't a deal breaker for me;there are so many other bars on the Westerdam that it's low on my list of priorities.
#73
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
1,865 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by Marigold252
Was on the Westerdam last month. Lovely Med cruise. The new big flat screen tv on the wall is great, and can be viewed from the bed and the sofa. The frame below it holds the cruise and info books, freeing up the desk top. There are two usb ports as well as the two us and two euro outlets at the back of the desk. There is also a usb port at each nightstand. The medicine cabinet is still in the bathroom.
I thought the layout of the crows nest was great. The one thing I really didn't like about the remodel, was the atrium. The carpet is garish and the rest dull and depressing.
Feel free to ask away.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app
On day 27 of 49 on Westerdam--and just to clarify: Sadly, in a Signature Suite (SY/SS) you canNOT view the TV from the sofa, as the new large TV is directly above it (where a large art print used to be).... There is, however, more space on desk where TV used to sit. Note: New TV service does NOT allow you to view your account (bill). You can only access via personal device or print via Deck 1 machine (or ask Front Desk). And you can no longer get the screen that shows exactly where the ship is.... Other new services via the TV are offered, including many new movies to select to view individually (rather than via DVD).

Also: Medicine cabinets are indeed gone (Bring a hanging bag or two.), and the clunky low cocktail table (unsuitable for room service meals) remains post-renovation.


Bathroom has a nice automatic nightlight--and USB ports are helpful. New carpet and soft furnishings are welcome.

And, as always, staff onboard are truly marvelous! 😊

Hope this helps.


Warmest wishes,
Mary-Lou
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Click HERE to email me.

Holland America 4-star
Celebrity Elite
Royal Caribbean Diamond
#74
California
473 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by DrFUN
On day 27 of 49 on Westerdam--and just to clarify: Sadly, in a Signature Suite (SY/SS) you canNOT view the TV from the sofa, as the new large TV is directly above it (where a large art print used to be).... There is, however, more space on desk where TV used to sit. Note: New TV service does NOT allow you to view your account (bill). You can only access via personal device or print via Deck 1 machine (or ask Front Desk). And you can no longer get the screen that shows exactly where the ship is.... Other new services via the TV are offered, including many new movies to select to view individually (rather than via DVD).

Also: Medicine cabinets are indeed gone (Bring a hanging bag or two.), and the clunky low cocktail table (unsuitable for room service meals) remains post-renovation.


Bathroom has a nice automatic nightlight--and USB ports are helpful. New carpet and soft furnishings are welcome.

And, as always, staff onboard are truly marvelous!

Hope this helps.


Warmest wishes,
Mary-Lou
I should have clarified. We were in a regular veranda room, not an SS/SY suite. I suspect the medicine cabinet and sofa table will be replaced at some time in the near future, as they were both showing their age. The carpet and drapes were new. In the veranda room, the bed and sofa are on the same wall with the desk and tv on the opposite wall.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app
#75
Central Wisconsin
2,345 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
So the TVs on HAL are not interactive? Cannot view ship board account make dinner reservations etc?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next UP:
Eurodam 6/2018 - Alaska (first cruise for grandson!)
Past Sailings:
Noordam 9/2012 - Mediterranean
Nieuw Amsterdam 1/2012 - Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 1/2010 - Caribbean
Star Princess 5/2006 - Baltic
Regal Princess 9/1997 - Alaska
#76
San Diego, CA
5,794 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by Sea42
So the TVs on HAL are not interactive? Cannot view ship board account make dinner reservations etc?
Just off the Oosterdam (sister ship to Westerdam), and you could not view dinner reservations, onboard account etc. on the TV.
You have to use HAL's app 'Navigator' to do those things. Navigator is very easy to use, and is very helpful. You just connect to the ship's wi-fi with your device in airplane mode and you're good to go. There are no extra charges for using the app.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Otherwise known as 'Don Quique'..