Live from the First "Oprah Cruise" on Holland America: 5 Highlights That Will Inspire

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:16 PM.
894 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by LauraS
Check out the latest Holland America news from Cruise Critic:

Live from the First "Oprah Cruise" on Holland America: 5 Highlights That Will Inspire You to Book One
Quite the opposite, now I know to avoid those four cruises. and hope that HAL has not determined that O's programs will be liked on all of HAL's cruises. Could be worse, think of O.J. Themed cruises.
Stafford, VA
84 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Does not inspire me at all - sounds boring. How about some real entertainment that will appeal to more passengers? I would not book one of the Oprah cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Victoria Harbour, ON
2,595 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
If you do find yourself on board one of her cruises, you do have the option not to participate in any of her activities. No, I would not book a cruise just because she was on it. To each their own.
Allan
Chicago area, USA
850 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
I've never watched Oprah or followed her but I've read some of the books from her book club and they've been pretty good across the board; the featured author is an exceptional writer.
If I booked an Oprah cruise it would not particularly be to participate; rather it would be because I would know that the Oprah haters would not be aboard.
Frederick, Maryland/Goult, France
653 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by sandbag7
I've never watched Oprah or followed her but I've read some of the books from her book club and they've been pretty good across the board; the featured author is an exceptional writer.
If I booked an Oprah cruise it would not particularly be to participate; rather it would be because I would know that the Oprah haters would not be aboard.
Precisely. Well put.
Where do all these strong negative feelings come from? There's plenty of room on a ship....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2012 Westbound Transatlantic HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
2013 Eastbound Transatlantic Celebrity Reflection
2013 Westbound Transatlantic HAL Ryndam
2014 Eastbound Transatlantic Celebrity Silhouette
2014 Westbound Transatlantic HAL Ryndam
2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Island Princess
2015 VENICE to Singapore HAL Ryndam Farewell
2016 Eastbound Transatlantic HAL Eurodam
2016 Westbound Transatlantic HAL Eurodam
2017 Eastbound Transatlantic Celebrity Eclipse
2017 Westbound Transatlantic HAL Prinsendam

San Mateo, California
5,542 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by EDLOS
Quite the opposite, now I know to avoid those four cruises. and hope that HAL has not determined that O's programs will be liked on all of HAL's cruises. Could be worse, think of O.J. Themed cruises.
Agree... the last thing I want on a cruise is some celebrity
Frederick, Maryland/Goult, France
653 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by kenevenpar
Unless, of course, you are on a =X= ship
Hmmm....one time I was on à HAL ship with the Temptations..and the cruise rocked. It was so much fun getting them to sing in the elevator...MyGirl......
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2012 Westbound Transatlantic HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
2013 Eastbound Transatlantic Celebrity Reflection
2013 Westbound Transatlantic HAL Ryndam
2014 Eastbound Transatlantic Celebrity Silhouette
2014 Westbound Transatlantic HAL Ryndam
2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Island Princess
2015 VENICE to Singapore HAL Ryndam Farewell
2016 Eastbound Transatlantic HAL Eurodam
2016 Westbound Transatlantic HAL Eurodam
2017 Eastbound Transatlantic Celebrity Eclipse
2017 Westbound Transatlantic HAL Prinsendam

Southern California
84 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by MaisonRose
Hmmm....one time I was on à HAL ship with the Temptations..and the cruise rocked. It was so much fun getting them to sing in the elevator...MyGirl......
Now that would be fun!
ohio
790 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
people just like to complain these days
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nordam 2/27/2015

Eurodam oct 09
Celebrity oct 04
Wisconsin
11 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by pris993
Agree... the last thing I want on a cruise is some celebrity
For the millennium cruise aboard the Maasdam, we had star of stage and screen Red Buttons, most famous for being one of the few survivors of The Poseidon Adventure in which A CRUISE SHIP IS STRUCK BY A TSUNAMI.
5,403 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by ski ww
If you do find yourself on board one of her cruises, you do have the option not to participate in any of her activities. No, I would not book a cruise just because she was on it. To each their own.
Allan
You are surrounded by people who love Oprah and the whole ship will be infused with Oprah this and Oprah that. No, you won't have the option not to participate.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
rktctysooner at gmail dot com
New Jersey
8,989 Posts
Joined May 2007
I'm not sure HAL is getting much out of this deal. I was waiting for an appointment this week and saw O Magazine for August. I thought maybe there would be something about her cruise (didn't she go in July?), so I looked through it. All I saw was a page way in the back that looked like 3 short articles, but when you read them, it was clear that they were disguised advertisements. There was a blurb for HAL and the O-related things on the O-themed cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
11 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Warwick, R.I. , USA
38,249 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by 3rdGenCunarder
I'm not sure HAL is getting much out of this deal. I was waiting for an appointment this week and saw O Magazine for August. I thought maybe there would be something about her cruise (didn't she go in July?), so I looked through it. All I saw was a page way in the back that looked like 3 short articles, but when you read them, it was clear that they were disguised advertisements. There was a blurb for HAL and the O-related things on the O-themed cruises.
The way magazines seem to be put together these days, an August edition may be too soon to have something from a July cruise, though.
I would check for September, or even later, if I were interested in looking for something about her July cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCASE/LSSE

Chocolate is to women what duct tape is to men.
It fixes everything.