Holland America Line Introduces Fleetwide After-Dinner Chocolate Parade

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:56 PM.
vancouver, canada
16 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by RMLincoln
Thanks for posting on a recent experience. I'm looking forward to this new event for our upcoming cruise. m--
Looking forward to this when we sail on the Zaandam in November.
Florida
17,436 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
It's always amazing to me; no matter what Holland America implements there is always so many negative responses?

If it is all so bad why do folks continue cruising with this cruise line?

If they offer you chocolate and you don't think you will like it don't try it. Thanks, this new offering is free.

I'm waiting to be flamed.��
Burnsville, MN
1,560 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by aliaschief
It's always amazing to me; no matter what Holland America implements there is always so many negative responses?

If they offer you chocolate and you don't think you will like it don't try it. Thanks, this new offering is free.

No flames from me. I've actually cut back on cruising on HAL, not due to it's changes, but to the constant complaining I hear. One gentleman was overheard having a coffee with a ship's officer and asking them to turn off the overhead music on the ship because he had trouble concentrating. The Koningsdam and its upcoming sister ship are the main reasons I DO continue to cruise with HAL. I'm probably going to drop out of Cruise Critic due to the whining of so many members.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SFJ
"Tranquillity, at my age, is the supreme good of life." - Thomas Jefferson
HAL Mariner
Georgia
8,901 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
It's always amazing to me; no matter what Holland America implements there is always so many negative responses? If it is all so bad why do folks continue cruising with this cruise line? If they offer you chocolate and you don't think you will like it don't try it. Thanks, this new offering is free. I'm waiting to be flamed.��
No flames here. "Haters gonna hate."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
11/11/2017 Carnival Magic (W. Caribbean) [Roll Call]
6/30/2018 ms Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) [Roll Call]
“Those who do not know satisfaction, even when living in a heavenly palace, are still not satisfied. Those who do not know satisfaction, even if rich, are poor. People who know satisfaction, even if poor, are rich.” ― Gautama Buddha
305 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
our family just returned from a cruise and they also concluded with RuthC that cupcakes and treats lacked a bit in terms of taste and moistness......maybe they are trying to improve it ship by ship......I will update after we get back from our trip in December
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
47 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by Sundagger
No flames from me. I've actually cut back on cruising on HAL, not due to it's changes, but to the constant complaining I hear. One gentleman was overheard having a coffee with a ship's officer and asking them to turn off the overhead music on the ship because he had trouble concentrating. The Koningsdam and its upcoming sister ship are the main reasons I DO continue to cruise with HAL. I'm probably going to drop out of Cruise Critic due to the whining of so many members.
I agree with you that people are whining a little too much ... 1st world problems. Perhaps they are taking the website name to heart too much ... Cruise CRITIC :-(

This will be our 4th cruise ... 2nd on the Nieuw Amsterdam and we are very excited to go. She is a beautiful ship with an amazing crew.

D Holland
Victoria, BC
196 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Just back from a Canada/New England 14 day cruise on the Maasdam and while we were looking forward to the Chocolate Parade, I can't say it was a big event for us after all. Kudos to HAL for implementing it, BUT do we all really need MORE chocolate (or food) on a cruise. We were so well fed... and overfed with wonderful desserts and free anytime nibbles in the Exploration Café... that we really didn't need the chocolate concoctions, especially that late at night.

The only real negative I noted with the event was our fellow passengers. As soon as the crew members came out with the sweets, hundreds of passengers (I think everyone on the cruise was waiting on deck 6) descended on them like hungry seagulls. There was jockeying for position and I'm sure many a crew member feared for their lives. It was a sad example of Western World greed.

Having said that, the goodies were tasty (even the cupcakes) and the "entertainment" of the event the HAL provided was fun.

I didn't attend on the second event, but rather was content with being overstuffed by dinner.
363 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
They had the Chocolate Parade on the Prinsendam last week, and it was a big surprise. The waiters walked around the ocean bar, stopping at each table offering their treats with no big rush from the passengers.

DH enjoyed the treats he tried; however, I agree with Ruth C. The cupcakes looked better than they tasted. I'll try something else next time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

Holland America - 47 cruises (804 days)
Princess and P&O - 32 cruises (550 days)
Celebrity - 4 cruises (47 days)
Royal Caribbean - 3 cruises (25 days)
Orient - 2 cruises (19 days)
Costa - 2 cruises (14 days)
Carnival - 2 cruises (14 days)
Windstar - 1 cruise (7 days)
Others - 4 cruises (28 days)
Washington DC area
268 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Originally posted by
The only real negative I noted with the event was our fellow passengers. As soon as the crew members came out with the sweets, hundreds of passengers ([I
I think everyone on the cruise was waiting on deck 6)[/i] descended on them like hungry seagulls. There was jockeying for position and I'm sure many a crew member feared for their lives. It was a sad example of Western World greed.
Really?? I guess they missed Breakfast, snack, Lunch, snack, Dinner, snack... Especially after all these terrible natural disasters around the world in the news... tsk tsk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Hamilton, Ontario
1,921 Posts
Joined Jul 2010

I agree with you Chief. There are soooo many complainers. It amazes me. Do people live such charmed lives at home that only perfection (in their perception anyways) will do on vacation??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Koningsdam April 2,2017 13 days Transatlantic Ft. Lauderdale to Rome
Koningsdam October 24, 2016, 16 days, Trans-Atlantic from Rome
Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 22 2015, 21 days B2B2B Caribbean
Royal Princess Mar 29/15 10 day Southern Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 30 2014 14 day B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean
Regal Princess Nov 23 2014 7 day E. Caribbean
Zaandam July 11 2014 Alaska - Tracy Arm 7 day
Emerald Princess Mar. 29 2014 10 day E. Caribbean
Maasdam Dec 6 2013 - 14 day Southern Caribbean
Maasdam Apr 1 2013 Eastern Caribbean 11 day
Grand Princess - November 2012 14 day
Emerald Princess - April 2012 10 day
Westerdam -South. Caribbean, Nov. 2011, 7 day
Eurodam - East. Caribbean, October 2010 7 day
Montana
404 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
We have enjoyed the surprise and the pleasure of the chocolate parade of delights! During the parade we've been in the Piano Bar, Ocean Bar and a lot of other lounges on the ship when delighted by the light or decadent choices offered by the wonderful white gloved staff! Special - yes! Whether you choose to partake or not - enjoy the moment....enjoy the parade!
Germany
2,774 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
We had this event on our cruise on Koningsdam (Aug 27 - Sep 03, 2017) on the second formal evening, so evening 6, to be exact.

Very nice surprise, nothing huge, but: The waiters were coming around the bars at deck 2, serving small chocolate finger food like cupcakes, chocolate drinks, or lollipops.
I found it to be a neat event and a very nice gesture compared to many other cruise lines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming
-Anthem of the Seas - New England/Canada 2018

Sailed
-Koningsdam - Norwegian Fjords 2017-Star Princess - West Coast Mexico & USA 2017
-Norwegian Jade - Transatlantic 2016
-Celebrity Millennium - Alaska 2015
-Vision of the Seas - Western Caribbean 2015
-Liberty of the Seas - Western Med 2014
-Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean 2014
-Norwegian Getaway - pre-inaugural 2014
-Emerald Princess - Baltic 2013
-Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean 2013
-Costa Fortuna - Norway 2012
-Costa Pacifica - Iceland & Norway 2012
-Color Magic - Kiel-Oslo 2011
-Costa Deliziosa - Emirates 2011
-Crown Princess - British Islands 2009
-MSC Musica - Eastern Med 2008
-Lili Marleen - Baltic 2006
-Mona Lisa - Norway 2005
-Crown Emperor - Nile River 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
1,921 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Himself
Will this help my diabetics? Maybe I will die with a chocolate in my mouth and a smile on my face.
Lol. What a way to go!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Koningsdam April 2,2017 13 days Transatlantic Ft. Lauderdale to Rome
Koningsdam October 24, 2016, 16 days, Trans-Atlantic from Rome
Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 22 2015, 21 days B2B2B Caribbean
Royal Princess Mar 29/15 10 day Southern Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 30 2014 14 day B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean
Regal Princess Nov 23 2014 7 day E. Caribbean
Zaandam July 11 2014 Alaska - Tracy Arm 7 day
Emerald Princess Mar. 29 2014 10 day E. Caribbean
Maasdam Dec 6 2013 - 14 day Southern Caribbean
Maasdam Apr 1 2013 Eastern Caribbean 11 day
Grand Princess - November 2012 14 day
Emerald Princess - April 2012 10 day
Westerdam -South. Caribbean, Nov. 2011, 7 day
Eurodam - East. Caribbean, October 2010 7 day
NJ USA
5,360 Posts
Joined Nov 2000
MORE CHOCOLATE ???!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

22 - Cunard == 1996-present ==
23* - HAL == 1991-present ==
4 - Home Lines == 1987,1988 ==
2 - NCL == 1979,1980 ==
2 - Royal Viking Line == 1989,1990 ==
1 - Celebrity == 2004 ==
1 - Carnival == 2002 ==

email: vicunderscoretheunderscoreparrotatyahoodotcom
*Friend of Hyacinth*
CA
1,439 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
We were on the Konningsdam the first two weeks of August and enjoyed the parade of chocolates very much. I tried a chocolate marshmallow and another small cup of chocolate and both were delicious. We were on the 2nd floor bar area at the time.
USA
5,476 Posts
Joined May 2012
We will look for it on our FT Panama Canal cruise on the Westerdam in December. It's sounds wonderful and I'm sure my wife would want to take lots of pictures for her website. Happy sailing everyone!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
You can view my wife's cruise pictures on her website Nancy's Oasis and individual cruise links below my cruise countdown.

2016 14 day Alaska Maasdam Ketchikan,Juneau,Dawes,Icy Strait Point,Anchorage,Homer,Kodiak,Hubbard,Sitka, Victoria,BC
2015 Christmas Adventure of the Seas St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados
2014 Christmas Island Princess ~ Partial Panama Canal with Columbia, Costa Rica, Grand Cayman, Aruba
2013 Christmas Adventure of the Seas ~ So.Caribbean St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao
2012 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W.Caribbean Cozumel (Tulum) Jamaica, and Grand Cayman
2012 Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier
2011 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W. Caribbean Belize (Lamanai), Roatan, Costa Maya (Kohunlich), Cozumel
2011 Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Cozumel and Progresso (Chichen Itza)
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Owners Suite Visit from the Upsell Fairy - 916 sq ft of paradise!

2011 Carnival Conquest ~ Eastern Caribbean Nassau, Freeport, Key West
2010 Caribbean Princess ~ NE/Canada Upgrade Fairy Visit FREE PH Suite - Newport,Boston,Bar Harbor,St. John,Halifax
2009 Star Princess ~ Alaska Inside Passage Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm
2008 Christmas Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Progreso (Uxmal) Cozumel
2007 Carnival Conquest ~ Western Caribbean Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel
Charlotte, NC
2,719 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Saw it on our When and Where and fully intended to go - just never made it, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9/2012 - Carnival Victory
5/2012 - Carnival Elation
6/2011 - Carnival Fascination
NC, USA
18 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Daisyloo
I agree with you Chief. There are soooo many complainers. It amazes me. Do people live such charmed lives at home that only perfection (in their perception anyways) will do on vacation??
I totally agree. Let's all have fun---that's why we cruise !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature