$50 beverage card questions

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:00 PM.
#1
canada
200 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
so I just booked our 11 nite Alaskan northbound, two nite Denali on the westerdam next year. We got the free beverage pkg and free dinner at Pinnacle grill promo. As a perk from my travel agent we were also given and additional dinner at both Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto AND a $50 beverage card. We have the beverage pkg! What do we need the $50 card for? DH says use it to purchase a bottle of crown royale for our cabin and take it with us when we depart the ship to Denali. Does anyone know if we can do this?
#2
New Mexico
4,595 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Kate45
so I just booked our 11 nite Alaskan northbound, two nite Denali on the westerdam next year. We got the free beverage pkg and free dinner at Pinnacle grill promo. As a perk from my travel agent we were also given and additional dinner at both Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto AND a $50 beverage card. We have the beverage pkg! What do we need the $50 card for? DH says use it to purchase a bottle of crown royale for our cabin and take it with us when we depart the ship to Denali. Does anyone know if we can do this?
I have had a $50 Beverage as a perk and received a refund for any portion of it that was not used.

Crown Royal ordered for your stateroom cost $53.75. If you purchase the same Crown Royal in the Shops (pick it up on your last cruise day) you will get 2 for $37.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Photo Reviews -OR--Menus, On Locations, and More

Oosterdam - Alaska - May 2008 (7 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - May 2009 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Eastern & Southern) - Feb 2010 (14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2010 (7 days)
Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - April 2011 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - Sep 2011 (B2B 14 days)
Noordam - Caribbean Seafarer - Mar 2012 (11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2012 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Southern) - Dec 2012 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska - May 2013 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Sunfarer- Nov 2013 (10 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - Jul 2014 (B2B 4 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Dec 2014 Caribbean - (East-West 14 days)
Noordam - Pacific Coastal - May 2015 (5 days)
Noordam - Alaska - May 2015 (B2B 14 days)

Oosterdam - Southern Caribbean - Nov 2015
(11 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific Coastal - Apr 2016 (5 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska Inside Passage - April 2016 (B2B 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal - Nov 2016 (10 days)
Noordam - Alaska - Jun 2017 (Northbound includes Denali) (12 days)
Veendam - Caribbean - Dec 2017 (14 days)
Zaandam - Alaska - May 2017 (14 days)

Nieuw Statendam - Caribbean - Jan 2019 (14 days)





#3
Orange County, CA, USA
2,101 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Yes, but the shops won't take the Beverage Card -- so if bottle-for-stateroom WILL, the out of pocket will be <$4, making that a cheap bottle of CR thanks to the TA!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#4
canada
200 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
So either way, we'll be getting Crown Royal! But if I can't use it for in cabin purchases or onboard purchases unless I get a drink of higher cost than the beverage pkg allows, what good is it? If I can cash it in, that would help but otherwise it's useless to me!
#5
Alberta
4,024 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
If you're at all interested in the HAL cookbooks or some of the other merchandise sold at the Explorations Cafe, you can use your beverage card to make purchases there. These can be good Christmas gifts but heavy to pack.

You could also use it towards a nice bottle of wine since the wine available under the SBP may not be to your tastes (it's not to my taste).
#6
USA
1,085 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
If all else fails (and you cannot use the BC to purchase the exact beverage or other items you want), the remaining balance will be applied as a credit to your onboard spending account.
Smooth sailing
#7
Oklahoma City
7,882 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by Alberta Quilter
If you're at all interested in the HAL cookbooks or some of the other merchandise sold at the Explorations Cafe, you can use your beverage card to make purchases there. These can be good Christmas gifts but heavy to pack.

You could also use it towards a nice bottle of wine since the wine available under the SBP may not be to your tastes (it's not to my taste).
Good point about the wine. I would add that using it for the wines in the Pinnacle Grill (and other specialty dining) is a good idea.
#8
107,572 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
I would use the card to buy a nice bottle of wine for when you dine at the Pinnacle.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
#9
224 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Agree with krazy kruiser. We bought a nice bottle in the PG without a beverage card !!! And thoroughly enjoyed it ..


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Western Caribbean- Veendam- 1998
Alaska -Westerdam 2015
Mexican Riviera -Westerdam 2016 December 10
Caribbean- Eurodam February 2018
#10
Orange County, CA, USA
2,101 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Yes, I thought of wine, even applying it toward a multi-bottle package, but didn't know if that appealed to the OP.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#11
FORT LAUDERDALE, FL
419 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
If you can apply the balance on the card to your on-board account, why not use it to offset the daily hotel charges or to offset other purchases on board the ship.
#12
central illinois
441 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
I agree with buying a bottle of wine for dinner in the Pinnacle Grill or dining room.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

August '03 Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean
August '04 Zuiderdam - Eastern Caribbean
April '06 Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean
March '09 Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean
November '11 Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean
January '13 Noordan - Southern Caribbean
January '14 Westerdam - Eastern Caribbean
February '15 Noordam - Southern Caribbean
March '16 Maasdam - Southern Caribbean
September '16 Zuiderdam - Canada/New England
May '17 Amsterdam - Alaska
#13
canada
200 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
We are not wine drinkers. Is this a physical card, or an Obc to be used only for beverages? Since both of us are getting a $50 card, it would be great if we could use it for almost anything else on board- shore excursions, merchandise or gratuities rather than beverages when we already have the beverage pkg
#14
canada
200 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by avian777
If all else fails (and you cannot use the BC to purchase the exact beverage or other items you want), the remaining balance will be applied as a credit to your onboard spending account.
Smooth sailing
So you are saying, if I don't use the card at all, that $50 beverage credit will turn to obc?
#15
Alberta
4,024 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by Kate45
We are not wine drinkers. Is this a physical card, or an Obc to be used only for beverages? Since both of us are getting a $50 card, it would be great if we could use it for almost anything else on board- shore excursions, merchandise or gratuities rather than beverages when we already have the beverage pkg
It is a physical card (like a gift card) to be used only for beverages. However, it can also be used to purchase other items (such as cookbooks, or the towel creation book, (and some other items)) at the Exploration Cafe.