Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

We too feel that we're running out of places to go although Singapore, Vietnam and Thailand remain on the list. But Thailand is having some serious political problems. And then there is Egypt but I'm giving up hope of ever seeing the pyramids.

Don't give up on the pyramids. Altho' I have spent decades seeing them in movies and photos, I was astounded to see the layout on the Giza Plateau and the Sphinx was smaller than I thought.

I'm a bit touchy about visiting countries with active political problems. Single woman, traveling alone - all that jazz. And I don't want to wait in traffic while protesters crowd the streets.

When I have a trip in place, I check BBC World News daily to see what I'll be encountering when I arrive at a foreign location. It was sad to see on the telly that merchants in the Istanbul bazaar were sitting on stools, waiting for customers that didn't come. Conversely, I wouldn't want to waste time and money on a trip that was in the danger zone.

Decades ago, I missed by a week the exploding trash cans on the Champs d'Elysee put out by the Algerians.

For travelers, knowledge is power.

Ruby

I don't know about SEAsia. Sounds interesting. Is that a cruise line?

Ruby

Yes. Established in France, but now targeting English speakers as well as French. It has 3 ships with 264 passengers and 1 with 64.

Is expensive, but has interesting itineraries. Nice to have a bit of competition in our region, which is heavy with mass market cruise lines.

Edited by MMDown Under

We have meandered over the 5,000 posts line. At times like this, I miss Druke being astounded at our numerical milestones. And I miss Fran.

But hats and horns to all of you who have made our thread so interesting - those of you who are ship daft, the lurkers, all of you.

It is quite ironic that we have outlasted Saga Rose which, as Conte says, is now paperclips and razor blades.

My personal thanks to all of you who make this thread so much fun and so informative. I always look forward to seeing what you have to say and, more particularly, where you've been or are going. One of my personal favourites was learning about the the maritime jousting in Sete.

And so it goes.

Ruby

One of my personal favourites was learning about the the maritime jousting in Sete.

And so it goes.

Ruby

And my favorite posts are at the very beginning when we recollected our similar experiences sailing aboard those now long gone transatlantic liners with our parents over 50 years ago. What wonderful memories to share!

Absolutely fabulous photographs, Sharon! I could almost feel the chill of the weather just by looking at the pictures. What time of the day (or night) did you observe the Northern Lights?

Donald.

Thanks Donald. We were in this field in pitch black (I didn't even know there were cabins there till I saw the photos!) from 10pm till midnight. It was -28C and my camera screen stopped working and as it was too dark to see through the viewfinder I had to point in the vague direction and hope! I was very pleased with what I got in the end.

We would appreciate if you read this post all the way through – thank you in advance!

Many of you know we have been working very hard on fixing the access and performance issues on our message boards. We have determined that very large threads have a huge impact on your ease of access. As this is one of our longest threads, we will be closing this discussion.

You may create a new thread in our Floataway Lounge

Don’t forget to subscribe to the new thread to receive notifications (Click on: Thread Tools > Choose: Subscribe to this Thread.)

We appreciate your patience over these past few weeks while we worked on the forums. Although we know that change can be uncomfortable, the good news is that we hope to provide a leaner, faster forum. And that’s a good thing.

Another option would be to avail yourselves of our offer of an entire forum which would be located in our Friends of Cruise Critic area

There, you would have an entire discussion forum just for you – where you can create as many new threads about any topic -- cruise or non-cruise - as you’d like. An added benefit is that all posts in your new “home” would contribute toward your post count.

If you would like to open a forum in the Friends of Cruise Critic area, please write to community@cruisecritic.com.

Kat