Annual Health/Evac Policy + Trip Interruption On CC???

Bo1953

Hello all - I wanted to get recommendations and/or thoughts about CC's that provide Travel Insurance covering Trip Interruption and the like... as I intend to purchase an Annual Health/Evacuation Policy.

I have seen a few CC's with this type of coverage, but with a fee of $250+/yr is far more than what I would prefer to spend for a CC membership.

TIA for your thoughts and input ....

bon voyage

We have the Chase Sapphire card that has pretty good trip insurance, except medical evacuation coverage is weak.

The annual fee is $495 but—this includes an annual $300 credit for travel costs so the net fee is $195. And you save on some trip insurance. There are other perks too.

We can easily spend way morethan thatfor policies for justtwo trips per year now that we’re getting older.

This last policy for our 10 day cruise and 6 nights on land with air cost $450 for two of us.

It really depends on how comprehensive the policies are.

We like to have adequate air evacuation insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might want to check out the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. Unless they have reduced their benefits they do cover up to $10,000 (in some cases it can be more) of Trip Cancellation/Interruption. However, you might keep in mind that this kind of coverage is only for good cause such as a major medical issue. This coverage is nothing like the "cancel for any reason" stuff that many cruisers seem to covet. The Sapphire Preferred card is $95 a year....but they often have promos that will give you the first year for free.

As to the more expensive cards, they are sometimes worth the money. Consider that the $450 Chase Sapphire Reserve Card gives you $300 of travel credits (this is for nearly any kind of travel charge such as hotels, restaurants, airlines, cruises, etc) every year. So that $450 is actually $150 for most folks...and you do get other benefits for that money. The expensive AMEX Platinum ($550 a year) also offers quite a few benefits including a $200 per year airline credit, Uber credits, etc. Rather then quickly dismissing these high end cards folks should take a careful look at their benefits to determine if they actually make sense. Just keep in mind that these kind of cards do require an excellent Credit Rating from applicants.

Hank

I learned about the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card on these boards and am so grateful!! The $450 annual fee put me off at first but once I did my research I learned about the $300 travel credit and the value in the remaining $150 with cancellation/trip interruption coverage, primary rental car insurance etc. I have saved so much by only having to purchase a

medical/ evacuation policy to supplement the card’s coverage!

This is also a great card for points, especially when combined with Chase’s zero fee freedom card that gives 1.5 points on every purchase. Points can be transferred to my Sapphire account and redeemed at an extra 50% value. My first time using credit card points for travel are paying off- 5 nights pre-cruise are FREE next month in Copenhagen at a high-end hotel with bfast included!

Hello all - I wanted to get recommendations and/or thoughts about CC's that provide Travel Insurance covering Trip Interruption and the like... as I intend to purchase an Annual Health/Evacuation Policy.

I have seen a few CC's with this type of coverage, but with a fee of $250+/yr is far more than what I would prefer to spend for a CC membership.

TIA for your thoughts and input ....

bon voyage

We have the AAdvantage CC that is from American Airlines (and Citibank). It has adequate (for us) trip interruption/cancelation coverage. The annual fee is $90.

And we use annual Geo-Blue for the medical portion of our coverage.

disclaimer: We have not had to make a claim with either of these services and so cannot comment on how well they service their customers.

The Chase CC's don't cover pre-existing conditions. FYI. So you may not have the coverage that you think you have.

True, although they only impose a 60 day "look back" period. One should keep in mind that everyone should assess their own risk tolerance and situation before purchasing any insurance. The big advantage of the Chase coverage for those of us who have it...is that there is no cost (other then the cost of the credit card). Their coverage is certainly not as comprehensive as many other travel/trip policies for which folks will pay hundreds of dollars....or more.

Hank

We have the Chase Sapphire Reserved. The savings in primary car rental insurance has paid for the card.

YET, for cruises we still get primary supplemental insurance. The CSR card is secondary and not sufficient in the event of a medical claim on a cruise or overseas hospital.

We had two minor claims this year and the hassle and claim proecessing periods averaged 6 months, secondary insurance is just a pain.

For trips with-in the US, the CSR is very adequate.

We have the Chase Sapphire Reserved. The savings in primary car rental insurance has paid for the card.

YET, for cruises we still get primary supplemental insurance. The CSR card is secondary and not sufficient in the event of a medical claim on a cruise or overseas hospital.

We had two minor claims this year and the hassle and claim proecessing periods averaged 6 months, secondary insurance is just a pain.

For trips with-in the US, the CSR is very adequate.

The CSR medical coverage is minimal (at best) and one should not rely on that for International medical. You are talking about a max of $2500 in a world where $100,000 is even considered pretty minimal coverage. Where the CSR card shines is their Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance and the Primary rental car coverage.

Hank