Nationwide and delayed departure claim?

StarAFire

Hi,

If I read my policy it seems to say that if we have a delay in departure from port or arrive late to port of more then 3 hours, that I could made a claim for travel change inconvenience. My ship left the port about 8 hours past the scheduled time.

I am not sure how to make a claim as ncl front desk won’t give me any letter or anything proving that we left late as they said no insurance would cover late departure only late arrivals. Since our first place was nearby the ship made up the time so arrived on time. I do however have an email now from the port of Vancouver ops department with their date timestamp on when they recorded our ship leaving.

Has anyone ran into this before?

Thanks!

What expenses did you incur because the ship was delayed leaving port.

Normally, Travel delay coverage – also called trip delay – reimburses a travelers for covered expenses up to the maximum amount if the traveler is delayed a minimum number of hours while on a covered trip.

However, I did google Nationwide travel insurance,, found their website and in the FAQ section was How do I file a claim.

What expenses did you incur because the ship was delayed leaving port.

Normally, Travel delay coverage – also called trip delay – reimburses a travelers for covered expenses up to the maximum amount if the traveler is delayed a minimum number of hours while on a covered trip.

However, I did google Nationwide travel insurance,, found their website and in the FAQ section was How do I file a claim.

It seems to be an oddball type of policy.

Here is another covered "situation":

"Fire, mechanical, other covered issue impacting cruise experience (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)"

For this one (also pretty rare occurrence, I'd hope!), I don't know if they require one to prove it "impacted" the experience!

This policy doesn't offer much in the way of what we need for travel insurance, but we've read about it here on CC before.

I have NOT yet read of someone stating they had a claim for the "inconvenience" type of situation and actually got paid, however.

GC

It seems to be an oddball type of policy.

Here is another covered "situation":

"Fire, mechanical, other covered issue impacting cruise experience (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)"

For this one (also pretty rare occurrence, I'd hope!), I don't know if they require one to prove it "impacted" the experience!

This policy doesn't offer much in the way of what we need for travel insurance, but we've read about it here on CC before.

I have NOT yet read of someone stating they had a claim for the "inconvenience" type of situation and actually got paid, however.

GC

I guess I can try and see what they say. If it had just said delay of arrival past 3 hours I wouldn’t be thinking of it. But in the actypolicy it said departure too.

I guess I can try and see what they say. If it had just said delay of arrival past 3 hours I wouldn’t be thinking of it. But in the actypolicy it said departure too.

Right.

I obviously haven't seen the full policy that you use, and I'm not an attorney, etc.

But from what I've read before, about other terms on Nationwide policies like yours (or maybe the same one), you should definitely follow up on the claim... assuming that the "times" work (the difference between what was the supposed sail-away time, and what the Port documented).

After all, you *paid* for that policy, right?

I've mostly heard about the coverage for change of ports, which is similar, of course.

Good luck!

GC

As soon as you get home, give them a call. We found Nationwide to be very open and honest about what they will pay. While not the same as yours, last year when the hurricanes destroyed the islands we had a policy that paid $1250.00 pp if our itinerary was changed before we ever set sail. Weeks before we knew things were going to be different so we called and asked them exactly what they were going to need. It was simple, prove that we still took the cruise (our final bill), a copy of our original itinerary and a copy of the new itinerary showing that we were notified before we sailed. So they were very easy to deal with.

If your policy allows for late departure then you have the right to claim it.

As soon as you get home, give them a call. We found Nationwide to be very open and honest about what they will pay. While not the same as yours, last year when the hurricanes destroyed the islands we had a policy that paid $1250.00 pp if our itinerary was changed before we ever set sail. Weeks before we knew things were going to be different so we called and asked them exactly what they were going to need. It was simple, prove that we still took the cruise (our final bill), a copy of our original itinerary and a copy of the new itinerary showing that we were notified before we sailed. So they were very easy to deal with.

If your policy allows for late departure then you have the right to claim it.

Just curious, because I just purchased the Nationwide Luxury Cruise policy. So if the itinerary is changed prior to departure they will pay 1250.00/person on the policy? I read that on the plan, but I was wondering if anyone really got that. So did they pay you that?? Thanks

Just curious, because I just purchased the Nationwide Luxury Cruise policy. So if the itinerary is changed prior to departure they will pay 1250.00/person on the policy? I read that on the plan, but I was wondering if anyone really got that. So did they pay you that?? Thanks
Yes, they paid it. We had used our original edocs as proof where we were supposed to go and them email NCL sent out a couple weeks prior. That was proof of change. The only thing else they wanted was proof we went on the cruise so we sent our final on board account bill.

Once we got home they emailed us the forms to fill out and sign and we faxed it back. Had 2 checks in the mail about 10 days later for $1250 each.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, they paid it. We had used our original edocs as proof where we were supposed to go and them email NCL sent out a couple weeks prior. That was proof of change. The only thing else they wanted was proof we went on the cruise so we sent our final on board account bill.

Once we got home they emailed us the forms to fill out and sign and we faxed it back. Had 2 checks in the mail about 10 days later for $1250 each.

Thanks! I just got the Nationwide Luxury for my upcoming Escape cruise. There are 6 on my policy, so a changed itinerary wouldn't be bad ;)

hi,

if i read my policy it seems to say that if we have a delay in departure from port or arrive late to port of more then 3 hours, that i could made a claim for travel change inconvenience. My ship left the port about 8 hours past the scheduled time.

I am not sure how to make a claim as ncl front desk won’t give me any letter or anything proving that we left late as they said no insurance would cover late departure only late arrivals. Since our first place was nearby the ship made up the time so arrived on time. I do however have an email now from the port of vancouver ops department with their date timestamp on when they recorded our ship leaving.

Has anyone ran into this before?

Thanks!

When I read the detailed policy language it seems to only apply to money lost due to prepaid "activities" such as a tour that is not reimbursed. My reading is that you only collect if you actually lose money as a result of the itinerary change. Here is the actual policy language:

"In the event a Cruise makes a change in Your Trip itinerary after Your actual departure date that prevents You from participating in an event/activity pre-paid prior to departure and scheduled on Your Trip itinerary, nonrefundable pre-paid event/activity expenses will be reimbursed up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Benefits will not be paid if the event/activity is rescheduled during the course of the Trip.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim payment."

We did not notice a provision that would pay you simply because your ship departed more then 3 hours late.

What am I missing?

We also noticed the itinerary change (prior to a cruise) provisions which are interesting. But it would not apply to us since our State is excluded from that provision.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 7:49 PM, deladypilot said:

I just wanted to let you know that our cruise did have an itinerary change. Thanks to this page I purchased the Luxury plan for the 6 of us :). If I am correct I should get a check for 7500.00 after I send my proof 🙂

23 hours ago, deladypilot said:

As long as the change was announced prior to the cruise setting sail.  Then you are golden

Yes it was announced on October 15th and the ship is sailing Jan 20th. I purchased the Luxury insurance on the 25th of September 🙂

3 hours ago, cathi007 said:

Yes it was announced on October 15th and the ship is sailing Jan 20th. I purchased the Luxury insurance on the 25th of September 🙂

Sweet.  Just keep everything until after you get back.    Make sure you have the original itinerary printed and then the email that the cruise line sent saying the itinerary had changed and to what.  We used our final ship bill as proof that we actually took the cruise and we were able to fax all the documents to them once we got back home. 

2 minutes ago, deladypilot said:

Sweet.  Just keep everything until after you get back.    Make sure you have the original itinerary printed and then the email that the cruise line sent saying the itinerary had changed and to what.  We used our final ship bill as proof that we actually took the cruise and we were able to fax all the documents to them once we got back home. 

Thanks, will do 🙂

• 5 months later...

I just read an article (from 2015) that said they were denied payment when their airplane experienced mechanical problems and they missed their ship. Another person in the article said they called Nationwide and the rep stated that they did NOT pay for misssing the ship due to mechanical issues. Anyone have any newer information? Seems like that would be a reason to have travel insurance.

55 minutes ago, packedandready said:

I just read an article (from 2015) that said they were denied payment when their airplane experienced mechanical problems and they missed their ship. Another person in the article said they called Nationwide and the rep stated that they did NOT pay for misssing the ship due to mechanical issues. Anyone have any newer information? Seems like that would be a reason to have travel insurance.

Impossible to answer without links to the articles. Right now it’s a he says she says question with no facts or policy wording and posted definitions.