Travel insurances and excursions

AlanF65

Does travel insurance typically cover prepaid excursions? I am looking at an annual plan and when doing online quotes they are asking for trip value. My next cruise has some expensive excursions so if I had to cancel I would want some reimbursement on any non refundable excursions.

Thanks

A

Does travel insurance typically cover prepaid excursions? I am looking at an annual plan and when doing online quotes they are asking for trip value. My next cruise has some expensive excursions so if I had to cancel I would want some reimbursement on any non refundable excursions.

Thanks

A

It doesn't matter what travel insurance "typically" covers.

It matters what *your* specific policy covers.

So you need to read the terms & conditions, and/or call the insurer or the broker who helped you purchase the policy.

We get "per trip" policies, except for the annual MedJetAssist.

The annual policies may be quite different from the per trip policies.

Most of the discussion of annual policies has been for medical coverage only.

A couple of years ago, we looked into an annual policy for regular travel insurance, and there were just too many restrictions (including total $$ limits), so it didn't work for us.

But again, this would have no bearing on *your* policy anyway.

The per trip policies we get from Travel Insured would cover excursions that were pre-paid and non-refundable, if a valid claim were to be made.

You might want to contact

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

and ask them about the insurers and policies they offer. That's who we purchase all of our policies from.

GC

Are you're excursion "Non-refundable"? Can you cancel these excursions within a reasonable amount of time and either incur no charge or at least get your deposit back?

If so, then in most cases, this would not be required to be counted towards your total trip costs.

If the excursions are required to be paid up front AND there is no possibility of refund for cancellation, then yes, these costs must be included in total trip costs.

Are you're excursion "Non-refundable"? Can you cancel these excursions within a reasonable amount of time and either incur no charge or at least get your deposit back?

If so, then in most cases, this would not be required to be counted towards your total trip costs.

If the excursions are required to be paid up front AND there is no possibility of refund for cancellation, then yes, these costs must be included in total trip costs.

Thanks, I am still shopping, I still have a week to be in the 21 day period after booking. There is a work situation that I need to insure for for cancellation and it may occur close to sailing so my excursions would also be close to the no cancel period. ( I haven't bought any yet). I think I will call my broker that covers my business and personal lines.

M

I am looking at UHC Annual Frequent Traveler for medical which seems to have good coverage, does anyone have practical experience with them. UHC is my advantage plan.

Your cruise line should be able to tell you if ppd shore excursions are fully refundable if you have to cancel the cruise, or even a shore excursion (eg., you have some sort of recent injury that won't cause you to miss the cruise but keep you from the activity of shorex)

Your cruise line should be able to tell you if ppd shore excursions are fully refundable if you have to cancel the cruise, or even a shore excursion (eg., you have some sort of recent injury that won't cause you to miss the cruise but keep you from the activity of shorex)

Purchased a policy today that had modified any reason cancellation, I needed a work related cancellation and added the medivac option w 500k as secondary.

I thought I had 20 days which was today but any reason was 15 days. Used insure my trip and travel guard. I can add flights and excursions later when I book them.

I plan on booking a few excursions direct.

Purchased a policy today that had modified any reason cancellation, I needed a work related cancellation and added the medivac option w 500k as secondary.

I thought I had 20 days which was today but any reason was 15 days. Used insure my trip and travel guard. I can add flights and excursions later when I book them.

I plan on booking a few excursions direct.

Again, make sure you are familiar with the terms of the *specific* plan you are purchasing/interested in purchasing.

The policy we get from Travel Insured does offer that 20 day window.

(I think this is state-specific, and in some other states, it might be [or maybe used to be?] 21 days.)

We try to do it ASAP after payment, because one must be "able to travel" on the date the insurance is started.

So, just in case one of us would come down with chicken pox or break a leg (or get cooties!) on the day before the deadline, etc....

Plus, there is usually (again, for our plans) at 10 day window when one can get a refund.

We almost never have had an auto claim that was our fault (2 that were clearly the other party) over many decades, but we seem to be making that up with travel insurance claims. Sigh.

GC