Bergen Questions Answered 2017

Hi all :)

I started a similar thread a couple of years back and it seemed to prove useful to quite a few people. I thought it would be nice to start another with up-to-date information.

Any questions on Bergen, fire away!

We will be doing a cruise up the coast of Norway in June. We keep hearing that Scandinavia is becoming increasingly cashless. Is this true? Will we need any Krones at all? I heard that even sidewalk food stands prefer credit cards. Also do the public restrooms require a coin as you see in much of Europe? Thank you very much for the info, and for starting this thread.

We will be in Bergen in September,will many of the museums be open Many thanks

Yes, as far as I know the museums in the city will be open as usual in September.

The only exception I'm aware of is that one of the four main KODE art galleries (KODE 2) is closed for maintenace until November 2017, but the other three galleries will be more than enough to fill up a day, if that's what you decide to do :)

We will be doing a cruise up the coast of Norway in June. We keep hearing that Scandinavia is becoming increasingly cashless. Is this true? Will we need any Krones at all? I heard that even sidewalk food stands prefer credit cards. Also do the public restrooms require a coin as you see in much of Europe? Thank you very much for the info, and for starting this thread.

You're right; Norway (and scandinavia in general) is very nearly cashless. I can't remember the last time I used an ATM here. As long as your card issuer doesn't add a huge transaction fee for use overseas, you should be completely fine relying on plastic during your visit.

With regards to public restrooms, there is a distinct lack of these in Bergen city centre...but plenty of shopping centres, museums (and dare I say it, bars) have toilets that you should be able to use free of charge :)

We will be in Bergen in September,will many of the museums be open Many thanks

And we will (hopefully) be in Bergen October 30 and 31. Will any of the museums still be open that late in the year? Takk!

And we will (hopefully) be in Bergen October 30 and 31. Will any of the museums still be open that late in the year? Takk!

Most of the mojor museums are open year-round (though often with reduced hours during the winter season). Several of the smaller museums do close after the summer - it's probably best to check the websites of any specific museums, as times & dates naturally vary from place to place. Either way, you should find plenty to do during your visit in October :)

We arrive in Bergen 19 July and looking for a few suggestions of what to do. Your above answers have already been helpful, so thanks for starting this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd say if you haven't been to Bergen before there are a few highlights you should try to catch...

The historic waterfront/Bryggen is definitely worth a closer look; you can walk down the little wooden alleways between the buildings you'll find a good selection of galleries, gifts shops, etc.

A trip up Mt Fløyen is a great option. There's a funicular railway that makes the trip up in 5-10 minutes, but if you're feeling a bit more energetic I'd say it's best to walk. You can walk up starting from the funicular station in town, and it should take you around an hour (that's at a fairly gentle pace and stopping to enjoy the views along the way). It's all clearly marked and there are wide gravel paths the whole way up. If you do get stuck at a crossroads just ask anyone...there will be a steady flow of people doing the same thing :). My personal favourite is to walk up and take the funicular down; that way you get the satisfaction of the climb and also get to experience the funicular. There are ticket machines at the top where you can buy one-way tickets back down.

Also it's nice to just take a stroll round town. There are a lot of lovely buildings and it's all very accessible on foot - really quite a compact city centre. Taking in the fish market by the harbour can be fun too (and a nice option for lunch).

If you have any more specific questions fire away :)

• Thanks 1

Do you know where the schedule is for the ferry to the aquarium? Do you have any suggestions for kid friendly places to visit? And are the streets all cobblestones (we have a stroller) Thanks so much.

The boat over to the Aquarium from the end of Bryggen is MF Beffen. (website here). Sailings are every 10 minutes, so you can just turn up and wait for the next one.

For kid friendly activities, I think you're on to a winner with the aquarium...you can easily spend several hours there and there are lots of activities suitable for kids. Also , if you head up Mt Fløyen you'll find some great playgrounds at the top with adventure trails, etc. A few minutes walk from the viewing platform at the top there is a little lake where your kids can try out canoes. The best thing...this is completely free :)

The cobbled streets should be manageable - there will often be a pavement at the side of the road either way. Plenty of families cope with living here, and having a stroller shouldn't pose any real challenge. Enjoy your trip :D

Hi. Thanks for this

We're interested in doing the funicular and the cable car. I realise the funicular is easy for us to get to by ourselves.

I notice the cable car operates a 'tourist double decker' to get people to the cable car with an 'all inclusive ticket' which can be bought at the bus stop near the TI centre. Can we pay by card for this (270 nok each) or do I need cash? In the UK paying for a bus by card would be unusual!

I'd prefer not to pay p&o prices and I'd rather also see what the weather's like on the day!

Hi. Thanks for this

We're interested in doing the funicular and the cable car. I realise the funicular is easy for us to get to by ourselves.

I notice the cable car operates a 'tourist double decker' to get people to the cable car with an 'all inclusive ticket' which can be bought at the bus stop near the TI centre. Can we pay by card for this (270 nok each) or do I need cash? In the UK paying for a bus by card would be unusual!

I'd prefer not to pay p&o prices and I'd rather also see what the weather's like on the day!

Yes, you will be able to pay with card for the 'all-inclusive' bus.

It is possible to get to the Ulriken cable car using the local public buses, but I think a lot of people find the 'all-inclusive' double decker that you mentioned to be the easiest/most convenient option on the day. Takes any stress out the situation :)

I definitely think you're right to avoid the expensive ship's excursions in Bergen; it's all so manageable on your own, and like you say, it's nice to be flexible so you can see what suits you best on the day :)

Yes, you will be able to pay with card for the 'all-inclusive' bus.

It is possible to get to the Ulriken cable car using the local public buses, but I think a lot of people find the 'all-inclusive' double decker that you mentioned to be the easiest/most convenient option on the day. Takes any stress out the situation :)

I definitely think you're right to avoid the expensive ship's excursions in Bergen; it's all so manageable on your own, and like you say, it's nice to be flexible so you can see what suits you best on the day :)

Great, thanks I'd rather not take too much cash. And yes, it's that ease of the double decker (despite its cost) which is tempting... trying to find out where to buy local bus tickets, where to alight/get off/etc is okay when in a city for a few days. But for just a day it's not worth the extra stress. I need a relaxing break!

hi!

We are planning to do the funicular on our half day stop at Bergen in July on a cruise.( though not being Norwegians we are taking the ride up and walking down :D) Please let me know how far the funicular depart point is from the cruise dock and which public bus would be convenient. also ticket prices and whether we need to pay cash or card.

Thanks in advance!

There are 2 cruise ship docks in Bergen. If you dock at Skolken it is about 1/2 mile to funicular. Easy walk, no need for a bus. If you dock at the other side it is too far to walk easily to funicular. I'll let the Bergen expert provide transport info from there.

hi!

We are planning to do the funicular on our half day stop at Bergen in July on a cruise.( though not being Norwegians we are taking the ride up and walking down :D) Please let me know how far the funicular depart point is from the cruise dock and which public bus would be convenient. also ticket prices and whether we need to pay cash or card.

Thanks in advance!

Hi :) There are many cruise ship berths in Bergen. If you let me know what ship you're on and the date of your visit I can see where you'll be docking and advise accordingly :).

Hi :) There are many cruise ship berths in Bergen. If you let me know what ship you're on and the date of your visit I can see where you'll be docking and advise accordingly :).

Hi, could you please advise us. We have already bought our funicular tickets online and will be arriving on the Norwegian Jade on Thursday 9th June

Many thanks

Dawn

Hi, could you please advise us. We have already bought our funicular tickets online and will be arriving on the Norwegian Jade on Thursday 9th June

Many thanks

Dawn

Hi :) You will be docking at Dokkskjæreskaien Vest, which is a little further from the city centre. There will be a shuttle bus to take you out of the main port area. I've read different accounts of exactly where this drops you off, but the 'worst' I've heard is still only around an 800m (half-mile) walk through town to the funicular stop. You should have no trouble locating this :) Even these 'futher away' cruise ship berths are very central in comparison to those in many other cities.

I hope you have a great visit to Bergen :D

For anyone else who wants to see where their ship will be docking, this is a useful link to the port website:

http://bergenhavn.no/cruise/anlopsoversikt/

• Thanks 1

Hi :) You will be docking at Dokkskjæreskaien Vest, which is a little further from the city centre. There will be a shuttle bus to take you out of the main port area. I've read different accounts of exactly where this drops you off, but the 'worst' I've heard is still only around an 800m (half-mile) walk through town to the funicular stop. You should have no trouble locating this :) Even these 'futher away' cruise ship berths are very central in comparison to those in many other cities.

I hope you have a great visit to Bergen :D

For anyone else who wants to see where their ship will be docking, this is a useful link to the port website:

Thanks so much for the advice, much appreciated

Hi! We are on the Crown Princess and will be in Bergen on 6th July. Thanks again!

Hello, I was hoping you could offer your recommendation. We are interested in one of two Fjord trip while in Bergen.

Option 1: Hardanger Express Fjordtour: Boat cruise from Bergen to Rosendal. Daily departures from Bergen all year. The cruise takes about two hours one way, and you can spend 3 1/2 hours in Rosendal, where you can stroll around this beautiful village, visit the Barony Rosendal and its rose garden, The Folgefonn Centre or go for a walk in lovely scenery. You can take the boat one way only or as a round trip, returning to Bergen on the same day.

Option Two: Bergen-Mostraumen FjordTour: Experience fjords and mountains on a 3 hour cruise to Osterfjord and the picturesque Mostraumen where boats are just able to pass through! Deep fjords, sheer mountains, mighty waterfalls and powerful currents – all year round!

The cruise starts from Zachariasbryggen, right next to the well-known Fish Market in Bergen. On the way from Bergen you will have a good view of the famous Bryggen, the old city of Bergen along with the rest of Bergen`s harbour basin

Obviously trip 1 also included time in the 'city' of Rosendal, while option 2 looks to only be the cruise. Is there significant difference between Osterfjord vs. Hardanger in terms of beauty?

We appreciate any information in helping us to decide. Thank you kindly :)

Hi! We are on the Crown Princess and will be in Bergen on 6th July. Thanks again!

It looks like you're in luck :) Crown Princess is scheduled to dock at Bontelabo, which is very central. A few hundred metres from the ship you'll find yourself along the historic waterfront at Bryggen. From there everything is easily walkable :)

Hello, I was hoping you could offer your recommendation. We are interested in one of two Fjord trip while in Bergen.

Option 1: Hardanger Express Fjordtour: Boat cruise from Bergen to Rosendal. Daily departures from Bergen all year. The cruise takes about two hours one way, and you can spend 3 1/2 hours in Rosendal, where you can stroll around this beautiful village, visit the Barony Rosendal and its rose garden, The Folgefonn Centre or go for a walk in lovely scenery. You can take the boat one way only or as a round trip, returning to Bergen on the same day.

Option Two: Bergen-Mostraumen FjordTour: Experience fjords and mountains on a 3 hour cruise to Osterfjord and the picturesque Mostraumen where boats are just able to pass through! Deep fjords, sheer mountains, mighty waterfalls and powerful currents – all year round!

The cruise starts from Zachariasbryggen, right next to the well-known Fish Market in Bergen. On the way from Bergen you will have a good view of the famous Bryggen, the old city of Bergen along with the rest of Bergen`s harbour basin

Obviously trip 1 also included time in the 'city' of Rosendal, while option 2 looks to only be the cruise. Is there significant difference between Osterfjord vs. Hardanger in terms of beauty?

We appreciate any information in helping us to decide. Thank you kindly :)

The good thing is, you're spoilt for choice. Whichever trip you take you'll find yourself in some fantastic scenery. For me, Hardangerfjord is a bit more dramatic, and might just take the prize, but of course all this is very subjective.

I'd base the decision on which trip suits your needs, budget, timings, etc. Just make sure you are due back in town before your ship sails. I'm sure there's info on this provided by your cruise line, but another handy source is the port cruise schedule, where you can check the timings for your ship:

Hope you have a blast either way :D