P&O Dawn Guarantee / OV

SuitesRbest

Hi Guys,

Been a while since I have had a scroll through the forums but, We have a 3 day hold on a cruise on the Dawn in January (Been a while since we cruised with P&O) with our kids (9 and 11) and due to budget constraints we have chosen a guarantee OV cabin (ocean view obstructed). There is a few things we would like to know from other cruiselings if we can before we go locking it in a paying for it. My wife and I are seasoned cruisers with over 20 under our belt BUT mainly with RCI hence the P&O Dawn and Brisbane port Q'S.

1. Is this the best way to go on a budget?

2.We are lead to believe there is a chance of an upgrade, does an upgrade come often and are they a genuine upgrade?

3.When is the best time to get to the Brisbane port for embarkation, so not get stuck hanging around in port all morning?.

4.The phone support for P&O Australia is TERRIBLE (Philippines I think), has anyone got a better way for phone support?

Thank You all in advance..

Just had a look for this on one of the Aussie TA's I use. For the 13 Jan sailing I am getting price from $896 (Obstructed OV) to $972 (OC grade on Deck 5) per person for a quad cabin. How does this compare with what you are seeing from P&O direct? At least with a TA you can lock in the grade of OV whereas I don't think you can with the Pack'n'Go fare direct with P&O.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, We are budget cruisers as well preferring to spend on once in a life time experiences along the way. If you dont have to book too far ahead i have found booking close to departure the cheapest. The catch though is full payment non refundable usually within a few day of booking applies. The guarantee cabins are fine but they are usually in the 'rougher ride' areas such as full bow or stern. However it depends on where you are going, if only sticking close to the coast and no overseas crossing they are fine. Deck 8 obstructed views are great cabins on Pac Dawn and central to everything. An upgrade from my experience is usually same cabin different deck so no difference. P&O has a strange fare structure and if you do the maths the pack & go fare is always the best even taking into consideration any free drinks packages or cabin credits. I know I am a bit late replying to this but this mornings quad inside fare 13th Jan $493 and obstructed view quad $544, I am considering this also. About boarding, we take the time slot near midday have lunch on board and an afternoon nap ready to stay up late in true cruise style. Boarding in Brisbane is pretty quick unless its a Saturday departure then you want to miss those finishing work at midday and rushing to board for 7nt cruises. Hope this helps.

Hi, We are budget cruisers as well preferring to spend on once in a life time experiences along the way. If you dont have to book too far ahead i have found booking close to departure the cheapest. The catch though is full payment non refundable usually within a few day of booking applies. The guarantee cabins are fine but they are usually in the 'rougher ride' areas such as full bow or stern. However it depends on where you are going, if only sticking close to the coast and no overseas crossing they are fine. Deck 8 obstructed views are great cabins on Pac Dawn and central to everything. An upgrade from my experience is usually same cabin different deck so no difference. P&O has a strange fare structure and if you do the maths the pack & go fare is always the best even taking into consideration any free drinks packages or cabin credits. I know I am a bit late replying to this but this mornings quad inside fare 13th Jan $493 and obstructed view quad $544, I am considering this also. About boarding, we take the time slot near midday have lunch on board and an afternoon nap ready to stay up late in true cruise style. Boarding in Brisbane is pretty quick unless its a Saturday departure then you want to miss those finishing work at midday and rushing to board for 7nt cruises. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply,

I have been cruising lately on RCC and have found their last minute deals great.

Absolutely a budget cruiser now days and always looking for the deals .

Have been reading a few dozen reviews on Pac Dawn and yes I have read that the OV cabins are on the better side even with the Guarantee .

Defiantly the pack & go fare is the best, it is advertised as a free beverage package for first 2 passengers but like you said do the math and it is not much cheaper.

Have not got our cabin allocation yet but for just over 2K for myself/wife and two kids for a 7 day holiday (meals included) is a bargain no matter which way you look at it..

Edited by SuitesRbest