Cam of the Day

• 1 month later...

On checking the bridge cams this morning I caught Caribbean Princess leaving the Panama Canal ,after the Gatun locks , and heading out into the Atlantic. Looks like a new bridge is under construction at the Atlantic entrance to the canal..

16_a.jpg

16_b.jpg

Will the bridge be high enough ?

Thats what I was wondering. After all the expense of building the new wider and longer locks I would jolly well hope so.

The size of ships used to be governed by what could fit through the locks , so perhaps the bridge will govern the height of new builds.

I think the ships were known as Panamax.

The photos were taken with my phone.

I think all the Webcams that were operated by the Port, including a couple in Williamstown, were deactivated a couple of years ago.

Yes ..its a great shame they stopped those cams . They are getting few and far between now, Your pics are great , Were they taken from Williamstown?

I did not know about Williamstown until I saw the view from one of the cams. It was such a great view that on one of my cruises I took the train there and discovered what a little gem of a place it is.

Sorry Gut. I will buy you a Diet Coke and ice cream pavlova next time I see you.

The photos today were taken from the end of the Ferguson Street Jetty Williamstown looking across the Bay.

If you look on a map, Williamstown is situated on a point. One side looks towards the city, the other to the open water of the Bay. Depending on the channel, there is often a much closer look at the ships from the end of Point Gellibrand.

Edited by Docker123
name correct jetty

Sorry Gut. I will buy you a Diet Coke and ice cream pavlova next time I see you.

The photos today were taken from the end of the Stevedore Street Jetty Williamstown looking across the Bay.

If you look on a map, Williamstown is situated on a point. One side looks towards the city, the other to the open water of the Bay. Depending on the channel, there is often a much closer look at the ships from the end of Point Gellibrand.

Visited Williamstown a few years back, from memory very nice.

I've been here 25 years. Love it. Still has some country town feel, but close to the city.

Many movies and to shows are filmed here, so we try and recognise friends' houses, streetscapes, buildings etc. for example, the courthouse in Sea Change was the surf club.