Formal nights

I think that the main reason cruise lines still have formal nights is to make money out of photos and I’ve heard a lot of people say getting on formal photo onboard is a lot cheaper than on land.

The photos are big money for the cruise lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that the main reason cruise lines still have formal nights is to make money out of photos and I’ve heard a lot of people say getting on formal photo onboard is a lot cheaper than on land.

The photos are big money for the cruise lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not so sure the cruise lines get this money, most photographer companies on the ship are third party operators, just like the spas and the art auctions. They have won the tender to run the photography on the ships fleet wide.

I am not so sure the cruise lines get this money, most photographer companies on the ship are third party operators, just like the spas and the art auctions. They have won the tender to run the photography on the ships fleet wide.

Yes, I understood photographers worked independently. The photographers on my last cruise on Azamara Journey worked differently to photographers, in the past. They were very unobtrusive, as well as less expensive.

Yeah... but good luck wearing that $100 suit again after it has been washed or dry cleaned in any way!

Again, if you want a _decent_ suit, you'll be paying a lot more than that.

As one who had ready access to the finest Hong Kong tailors I'm well aware of that.

My reference to cheap shirts is an actual comparison done on $15.00 Thailand made Ralph Lauren Polo shirts and the genuine article, done to prove a point regarding value for money.

Yes..the cruise lines lease the concession for that space to a photo company on the same basis a Shopping Mall offers space to retailers ..ie Rent plus % of turnover. Staff accommodation meals and uniforms are also a factor.

Some decent Robert Huntley made in China suits at Lowes for $99 on 'spethial.' (Sorry Mr Gut) Do me for a cruise.:cool:

I buy a lot of gear at Lowe’s, a $99 suit that lasts a year or two is way better value than a $1000 one that lasts 10 years. (Not that I get anywhere near that out of a suit).

Yes..the cruise lines lease the concession for that space to a photo company on the same basis a Shopping Mall offers space to retailers ..ie Rent plus % of turnover. Staff accommodation meals and uniforms are also a factor.

Correct

I suspect the photography concession may have a provision calling for formal nights too.

As one who had ready access to the finest Hong Kong tailors I'm well aware of that.

My reference to cheap shirts is an actual comparison done on $15.00 Thailand made Ralph Lauren Polo shirts and the genuine article, done to prove a point regarding value for money.

Good to hear.

Equivalent to your shirt example then, it just doesn't make sense to compare a better quality shirt with the cheapest suit you can find.

I buy a lot of gear at Lowe’s, a $99 suit that lasts a year or two is way better value than a $1000 one that lasts 10 years. (Not that I get anywhere near that out of a suit).

Can't agree with that. For one the cheapest suits are from polyester and just look cheap. Sure you can get by with them brand new if nothing else, but they just don't look as good, as well as not lasting well e.g. will develop shines, more easily pill, and will stick to their backing and may 'bubble' if cleaned/treated/ironed. Their cut and lines will also be much simpler at the $99 price point and just a block colour.

Pretty much just wearing them for the sake of wearing a suit rather than wearing a nice piece of clothing.

Can't agree with that. For one the cheapest suits are from polyester and just look cheap. Sure you can get by with them brand new if nothing else, but they just don't look as good, as well as not lasting well e.g. will develop shines, more easily pill, and will stick to their backing and may 'bubble' if cleaned/treated/ironed. Their cut and lines will also be much simpler at the $99 price point and just a block colour.

Pretty much just wearing them for the sake of wearing a suit rather than wearing a nice piece of clothing.

I have had my $99 Lowes suit for 3 years, probably worn it 30 times, good as new, albeit a little tight from the sea air.:') Or is it due to rampaging gluttony through the Horizon Court?:o

When I was up at the Gold Coast the other week, saw a $69 suit in Big W, not Lowes quality though. Not good enough for a Princess Cruiser.

But at the end of the day a cheap suit in the MDR is better then a T shirt and frayed jeans.

I have had my $99 Lowes suit for 3 years, probably worn it 30 times, good as new, albeit a little tight from the sea air.:').

Credit to you for finding such a good buy then. :)

Yeah, got to watch out for shrinkage. Not unique to suits though... ;)

Good to hear.

Equivalent to your shirt example then, it just doesn't make sense to compare a better quality shirt with the cheapest suit you can find.

It makes sense when you consider the number of cheap suit wearers who suffer from the "Mrs Bucket" syndrome, as opposed to the expensive T shirt wearers who don't. Like the wearers of platinum watches who don't care that most people think they are stainless steel.

I don't care if people choose to get done up to the nines, and enjoy doing so, provided they don't insinuate that those who choose not to are somewhat inferior. Believe me, in my 73 years I have learned that, in fact, clothes do not make the man.

Easy way to buy a genuine polo shirt in Thailand is don't buy the Raplh Luaren shirts.;p

Styles change and a suit (the cut, etc) can go out of fashion in just a few years anyway.

It makes sense when you consider the number of cheap suit wearers who suffer from the "Mrs Bucket" syndrome, as opposed to the expensive T shirt wearers who don't. Like the wearers of platinum watches who don't care that most people think they are stainless steel.

I don't care if people choose to get done up to the nines, and enjoy doing so, provided they don't insinuate that those who choose not to are somewhat inferior. Believe me, in my 73 years I have learned that, in fact, clothes do not make the man.

I somewhat agree with the sentiment except in the case of following a dress code. IMO, Polos, Jeans, Havianas, etc, that are expensive still do not fit the dress code for formal or evening Chic.

I somewhat agree with the sentiment except in the case of following a dress code. IMO, Polos, Jeans, Havianas, etc, that are expensive still do not fit the dress code for formal or evening Chic.

True, but take the case of the husband and wife with three kids. The kids are at an age where they can be taken to dinner and behave themselves, as well as learn some of the dining etiquette so lacking in many these days. Working couple with a mortgage have managed to save enough for a holiday after many years without. Wife has bought herself a nice, but not expensive, dress, and has bought the husband a new pair of trousers and a nice long sleeved shirt.

Why should they be denied eating in the dining room on a formal night just because the wannabees get their nose out of joint? I feel sure that the "Real" people are not upset with the dress standards enforced on formal nights.

True, but take the case of the husband and wife with three kids. The kids are at an age where they can be taken to dinner and behave themselves, as well as learn some of the dining etiquette so lacking in many these days. Working couple with a mortgage have managed to save enough for a holiday after many years without. Wife has bought herself a nice, but not expensive, dress, and has bought the husband a new pair of trousers and a nice long sleeved shirt.

Why should they be denied eating in the dining room on a formal night just because the wannabees get their nose out of joint? I feel sure that the "Real" people are not upset with the dress standards enforced on formal nights.

I suppose my point is why bother having a formal night if their own policy is not enforced. BTW, the clothing you describe is evening chic at least, good enough for X's code.

Aside from possibly Cunard, I haven't heard anyone say that that doesn't meet dress code, nor that those would be or have been denied entry.

I think people are generally fine, as long as you put some effort in to respect the occasion/rules.