Low Carb Dieting

jesskuhmarie

I’ve been mentally preparing for our cruise in 2 weeks to stay keto. I know it’s entirely possible to do. It’ll be up to me and my will power to avoid the carbs. It’s not so much weight gain as health that I need to stay on keto for. When I go off, I get headaches and irritable and my chronic hives can flare and I usually end up sick. I want to enjoy the trip without being tired the whole time. But I’m the only one in a group of 11 eating low carb and I find it hard without a buddy for support. I appreciate any tips or advice or encouragement!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so very much! :)

I also try keto from time to time, but at the moment, I don't really see why it should be necessary for me. But my partner is on a keto diet for the last three month and I plan to support him while on a cruise. Thank you for sharing your impressions about dieting while on board, I now think it will be no big issue. @bmetz34, I hope you can stay strong during your trip, but I am pretty sure once you made this decision, it will be okay to stick to the plan. You really have a good reason for that, as it seems.

Thought I'd introduce myself...I'm 53 and have been overweight to some extent nearly my whole life. I quit smoking when I was 40 and gained even more weight so now I'm at a place I'd rather not be with my weight. Many years back I joined the Atkins WOL and lost about 80 pounds and kept it off for 3 or 4 years but then went back to normal eating. Well maybe that's not true. Ha! I started eating sugar again and ate like a pig and gained it back. I had tried several times over the years to do Atkins again, but it just didn't seem to work for me like it did that first time and I'd get frustrated and quit. I'd been thinking about trying it again wanting to lose weight for two cruises this year and for my daughter's wedding when I noticed a couple of people from work talking about the ketogenic WOE on a social media platform. I researched it and talked to them about it and decided to give it a go. I started December 5th and had lost 18.5 lbs as of last Friday. (I'm away this week and unable to weigh which is killing me. Yes, I admit it. I'm a chronic weigher. Ha!) I'm really loving eating this way. Feel better and have seen more change in my body than you would normally see with that amount of weight loss. BTW, I've got a lot to lose probably around 120 lbs total. So that's my weight story.

My cruise story is that we're going on our 20th cruise for our 20th anniversary year on February 25th on RCCL Anthem of the Seas. Love that ship. Love that we're going back to Barbados where we got married off of a Carnival ship 20 years ago. And love that I will have hopefully lost about 30 lbs. by the time we go. My hope is that I'll pretty much stay on the plan for the cruise. My big issue will probably be my night time snack. I know that's frowned on and against IF (which I'm not really doing yet, but hoping to work up to one day) but it's a big deal for me. I love a right before bedtime snack. Currently it's either a fat bomb or SF Jello (I know I know it's lazy keto, but that little bit of artificial sugar seems to be okay for me). Not sure what I'll do on the ship. They probably have SF Jello if I manage to get it and put it in the fridge for later. I should probably plan something and take onboard. Any ideas of something not too far off the plan for a snack I could carry on? Other planned cheat may be some wine and just alcohol in general which I know in quantities tends to stall me. I'm okay with that as long as I don't really fall off the wagon and go wild with bad foods.

Thanks Esahuma for your inspirational posts of how you live the life every day and most especially on board the ship. They've been invaluable in helping me to map out my plan for my upcoming 12 night cruise!

Cindy

Thought I'd introduce myself...I'm 53 and have been overweight to some extent nearly my whole life. I quit smoking when I was 40 and gained even more weight so now I'm at a place I'd rather not be with my weight. Many years back I joined the Atkins WOL and lost about 80 pounds and kept it off for 3 or 4 years but then went back to normal eating. Well maybe that's not true. Ha! I started eating sugar again and ate like a pig and gained it back. I had tried several times over the years to do Atkins again, but it just didn't seem to work for me like it did that first time and I'd get frustrated and quit. I'd been thinking about trying it again wanting to lose weight for two cruises this year and for my daughter's wedding when I noticed a couple of people from work talking about the ketogenic WOE on a social media platform. I researched it and talked to them about it and decided to give it a go. I started December 5th and had lost 18.5 lbs as of last Friday. (I'm away this week and unable to weigh which is killing me. Yes, I admit it. I'm a chronic weigher. Ha!) I'm really loving eating this way. Feel better and have seen more change in my body than you would normally see with that amount of weight loss. BTW, I've got a lot to lose probably around 120 lbs total. So that's my weight story.

My cruise story is that we're going on our 20th cruise for our 20th anniversary year on February 25th on RCCL Anthem of the Seas. Love that ship. Love that we're going back to Barbados where we got married off of a Carnival ship 20 years ago. And love that I will have hopefully lost about 30 lbs. by the time we go. My hope is that I'll pretty much stay on the plan for the cruise. My big issue will probably be my night time snack. I know that's frowned on and against IF (which I'm not really doing yet, but hoping to work up to one day) but it's a big deal for me. I love a right before bedtime snack. Currently it's either a fat bomb or SF Jello (I know I know it's lazy keto, but that little bit of artificial sugar seems to be okay for me). Not sure what I'll do on the ship. They probably have SF Jello if I manage to get it and put it in the fridge for later. I should probably plan something and take onboard. Any ideas of something not too far off the plan for a snack I could carry on? Other planned cheat may be some wine and just alcohol in general which I know in quantities tends to stall me. I'm okay with that as long as I don't really fall off the wagon and go wild with bad foods.

Thanks Esahuma for your inspirational posts of how you live the life every day and most especially on board the ship. They've been invaluable in helping me to map out my plan for my upcoming 12 night cruise!

Cindy

Thanks, Cindy - I used to want a 'bedtime' snack but gave it up almost 2 years ago when I went LCHF/Keto but during the first few weeks I did macadamia nuts at night - very satisfying Low in carbs and high in fat -

Are you on FB? I have a support page that is a closed group so you will need to request to join - all are welcome IF you are truly interested in getting healthy through ANY healthy wOE (way of eating)

We are listed as LCHF Friends Support Team - :)

Thanks, Cindy - I used to want a 'bedtime' snack but gave it up almost 2 years ago when I went LCHF/Keto but during the first few weeks I did macadamia nuts at night - very satisfying Low in carbs and high in fat -

Are you on FB? I have a support page that is a closed group so you will need to request to join - all are welcome IF you are truly interested in getting healthy through ANY healthy wOE (way of eating)

We are listed as LCHF Friends Support Team - :)

I will definitely join your support page! I can use all the help that I can get, and no worries I'm not crazy about anything. Whatever works for you I say. Speaking of which, I'm glad macadamia nuts worked for you, but ewwwww!! I love almost every kind of nut except them. Ha! Pecans have been a go to for me lately. I'll definitely have to find something because the bedtime time is going to be a hard one for me to give up. When I start working on that I'm just gonna try to move it earlier. I doubt I'll ever be able to do the two meal a day thing like is suggested by some. Although I definitely don't snack in between like I used to. Really the bedtime one is the last man standing.

Thanks for the invite!!

Cindy

I will definitely join your support page! I can use all the help that I can get, and no worries I'm not crazy about anything. Whatever works for you I say. Speaking of which, I'm glad macadamia nuts worked for you, but ewwwww!! I love almost every kind of nut except them. Ha! Pecans have been a go to for me lately. I'll definitely have to find something because the bedtime time is going to be a hard one for me to give up. When I start working on that I'm just gonna try to move it earlier. I doubt I'll ever be able to do the two meal a day thing like is suggested by some. Although I definitely don't snack in between like I used to. Really the bedtime one is the last man standing.

Thanks for the invite!!

Cindy

Welcome to our Team Page on FB - BTW - night eating was the hardest for me also - but not - no sweat - but it has been almost 2 years :)

Hi. I just requested to join your group as well. I’ve been doing Keto for the last year. Love it. We had 3 cruises last year and I didn’t manage to stay Keto [emoji15]. The first cruise I was able to jump right back on after and lost the 7 pounds I gained right away. The 2nd cruise took a little longer and 3rd was bad break up with Keto lol.

I cruise again in Feb. now my husband is on Keto. That has made things easier at home. Of course he’s lost weight quick. The only fail he has is he can’t not eat popcorn at the movies. I’m pretty sure he won’t stay Keto on the cruise either. I want to try more this time. I hated how hard it was last time to get back to it.

The bad issue right now is I’m having gall bladder issues. Has anyone else had this issue? I’m not supposed to eat fatty stuff which is a big part of Keto. Keto is literally the only “diet” which I have been able to actually stick to so I don’t want to give it up. Of course they want me to get it removed but the issue with that is the time off work. I have cruises planned which are taking all my PTO.

Yes first cruise was last year and I’m totally addicted. Luckily my husband also feel in love with cruising

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. I just requested to join your group as well. I’ve been doing Keto for the last year. Love it. We had 3 cruises last year and I didn’t manage to stay Keto [emoji15]. The first cruise I was able to jump right back on after and lost the 7 pounds I gained right away. The 2nd cruise took a little longer and 3rd was bad break up with Keto lol.

I cruise again in Feb. now my husband is on Keto. That has made things easier at home. Of course he’s lost weight quick. The only fail he has is he can’t not eat popcorn at the movies. I’m pretty sure he won’t stay Keto on the cruise either. I want to try more this time. I hated how hard it was last time to get back to it.

The bad issue right now is I’m having gall bladder issues. Has anyone else had this issue? I’m not supposed to eat fatty stuff which is a big part of Keto. Keto is literally the only “diet” which I have been able to actually stick to so I don’t want to give it up. Of course they want me to get it removed but the issue with that is the time off work. I have cruises planned which are taking all my PTO.

Yes first cruise was last year and I’m totally addicted. Luckily my husband also feel in love with cruising

Welcome to LCHF Friends Support Team Tracy :) Even though I manage to stay pretty much LCHF/Keto and do IF (intermittent fasting) - we don't usually do breakfast and if we do it is eggs and breakfast meats only - I still manage to gain 5-7 Pounds - think most of it is from drinking - and I only have wine or my sprite zero and vodka - an occasional beer (because we get them free sometimes) but it does come off quickly when I get home!

About the gallbladder - I also have reoccurring pain and an issue at time by U take an 800 mg motrin and that stops it dead in the tracks - I have had testing and I don't have stones so they don't know why this happens - I try to ignore it!

Just wanted to say hello and join the group. I have slowly gained weight since I hit my 40s. I decided it's time to lose it and started LCHF about three months ago. Thirty pounds down so far, but I need to lose fifty more. It's hard to believe I have gained that much weight since 2012. We are cruising in May, but more importantly is my health and being there for my children and future grandchildren.

Just wanted to say hello and join the group. I have slowly gained weight since I hit my 40s. I decided it's time to lose it and started LCHF about three months ago. Thirty pounds down so far, but I need to lose fifty more. It's hard to believe I have gained that much weight since 2012. We are cruising in May, but more importantly is my health and being there for my children and future grandchildren.

welcome and congratulations on the lost POF (pounds of fat) - If you are on FaceBook - I do have a group for those of us wanted to get healthy through our WOE (way of eating) - Give me your name if you are interested so I will approve you to the team - the name of the group is LCHF Friends Support Team!

Hello Can somebody give me some pointers on how to start? I looked up online Keto WOEing and getting myself confused. I would appreciate any help to get started.

What are you confused about?

What does your diet look like now? I suggest starting by cutting out all wheat-based/processed carbs if you are currently eating those. Then a few weeks later cut out starchy vegetables. Of course you can just go straight keto from the jump, but if you are truly interested in making it a lifestyle change I think easing into it is better if you are currently eating a lot of processed foods and/or carbs.

Focus on meats and eggs, healthy fats, and non-starchy vegetables.

There is a book by Leann Vogel called The Keto Diet that you will find incredibly helpful.

welcome and congratulations on the lost POF (pounds of fat) - If you are on FaceBook - I do have a group for those of us wanted to get healthy through our WOE (way of eating) - Give me your name if you are interested so I will approve you to the team - the name of the group is LCHF Friends Support Team!

Jacque Westwood Arnett on FB. I will look for your group. Thank you for the support!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had some of the same issues my gallbladder is acting up and seems to be related to the fat in my diet! I have lost over 13 pounds in a little over a month and because of the Keto diet this is the first time in years I have been able to lose. I have no intention of stopping the diet I am just readjusting some of what seems to set it off and yes as soon as we get back from our next two cruises they can take it out!hang in there and try and pay attention to which foods cause you trouble and avoid those as much as you can!!

I have had some of the same issues my gallbladder is acting up and seems to be related to the fat in my diet! I have lost over 13 pounds in a little over a month and because of the Keto diet this is the first time in years I have been able to lose. I have no intention of stopping the diet I am just readjusting some of what seems to set it off and yes as soon as we get back from our next two cruises they can take it out!hang in there and try and pay attention to which foods cause you trouble and avoid those as much as you can!!

Mine does this intermittently - occasionally I do have gallbladder issue3s - I take an 800 mg Motrin when I first start feeling any twinges or pain and it seems to go away - I have lost too many POF (pounds of fat) to go back to any other WO (way of eating)

I need to get myself back in gear. Cruising in a month and I'm up about 5 pounds, from a combination of bad holiday choices and working a lot of hours. Instead of cooking, we've been picking up fast food (yuck). My husband never has a weight problem, but he doesn't need the fast food either! I lost about 25 pounds last year low carb. I've tried keto, but the high fat doesn't always agree with my system! I have had good results with IF and will probably do that a few times before the cruise, usually 16:8 (16 hours of fasting with an 8-hour eating window). I have also managed to stay low carb on cruises and actually LOST 2 pounds on my last cruise (even with the alcohol), probably because we did a ton of walking. The key was resisting the "bread people," who are always pushing the rolls and sweets! I will have a long drive to Fort Lauderdale and plan to stay on plan for the drive. I'm always looking for ideas for nonperishable low-carb foods. I do love macadamia nuts and find them to be very filling. The little individual packs of olives are also handy. I appreciate any other ideas to help me through this next month! I would love to be down the 5 pounds I've gained, and I know that's achievable!

So I have been reading all of the threads about staying Keto well on a cruise! I leave in two weeks and feel like I have come to far to quit now! I have lost about 12-13 pounds since January 3. I have 30-35 to go and this is the first diet I have been able to lose on since have omg breast cancer! The medication I take makes it next to impossible to lose weight and the doctors told me that going in 7 years ago. I go back in May and would love to be able to tell them the trick is Keto!! We cruise in 2 weeks on the dream, I feel like this is not a problem with the steak house, and all the other places I should be able to put enough together to stay Keto. My big fear is in April we go for 8 days on the Fantasy and well the dining choices are quite limited. I have not done the fasting in this diet, but have seen some of you talk about it, how do I incorporate fasting into this diet as maybe that would help on the cruise as well. I try to challenge myself all the time and through this whole process the only cheat I have had was 1 little Girl Scout cookie on super bowl Sunday, and their was a lot of food I wanted their, so I feel I have the will power to fast on a cruise and would love to try it. Any advice would be appreciated

:DSo I am assuming that this diet can irritate the gallbladder, I can handle the pain in exchange for the weight loss!! First time in many years I have lost any weight and not giving up now.

Mine does this intermittently - occasionally I do have gallbladder issue3s - I take an 800 mg Motrin when I first start feeling any twinges or pain and it seems to go away - I have lost too many POF (pounds of fat) to go back to any other WO (way of eating)

As far as intermittent fasting, there are all kinds of options. I do 16:8, which is an 8-hour window to eat with 16 hours of no food. If I have my last meal at around 3-4 p.m., I'm usually not hungry before bedtime and can go until the next morning pretty easily. Some people do 18:6, or even 20:4 I think I did 18:6 one time...not for me. Now this doesn't mean I'm continually eating for 8 hours ;p (although sometimes I'd like to)! I usually have two regular meals and a few snacks. My meals might be a large breakfast around 8:00 with some type of meat and eggs or an omelette, then more of a snack around noon (handful of nuts), followed by another meal around 3-4 p.m., and that's it after (except water). The key is also to plan dinner for my husband ahead of time (he doesn't need to lose weight). I'll usually have something for him that I can just heat up. I'm definitely going to try it a time or two this week and see what happens. I switched completely back to low carb a few days ago and told my husband I don't want any fast food in my house! It's also easier to intermittently fast on low carb because I'm just not as hungry.

We do IF by finishing up our evening meal - last night at 1930 and we are not eating again today until lunch - We leave for an excursion in Vietnam and since there are no bathrooms on the tour buses we don't want to eat in the morning so that would be 18 hours without food - we will eat a small lunch trying what is offered to us on the tour - then eat a small meal and again skip breakfast. Last night I had a very small plate of tomatoes with vinegar - two small lamb chops and scallops! Yes I do drink but I stay with red wine and/or straight spirits as a martini or sprite zero!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! I am doing keto and will be cruising next week. I don't think I will have much of an issue except for a couple areas.

I am going to make some low carb cookies to take with me if I want a dessert.

The other area is I really like pizza. Has anyone gotten pizza on the ship and just scrape off the toppings and dump the bread? I do realize there will likely be some carbs get mixed in with the toppings, but I will not be perfect I am sure.