RCI Explorer of the Seas - dramamine motion sickness

Hi

We are heading off on a cruise in around 5 weeks (wahoo), on Explorer of the Seas, my partner does get sea sick at times and has found that dramamine motion sickness meds work best but these are not available in Australia, anyone know if these are available onboard in the gift shop as it can be purchased over the counter everywhere in the US.

Cheers,

Steve

If you 'google' the ingredients of Dramamine, I think it is likely a similar product will be available in Australia.

On the other hand, most cruisers recommend 25mg Avomine. I buy mine at Chemist Warehouse - $9.60 for 30 tablets. Apparently it has the same ingredients as phenergan. This is what is recommended currently on cruise ships. It is an anti-histimine so can make a person a bit sleepy if they sit in a show or a movie, but not while you are walking around. I have just returned from a cruise to Antarctica. Travelling in a small ship, we were conscious of the movement. The tour company recommend the 25mg phenergan. One of the doctors was getting around the ship with a bumbag of tablets and was handing it out to anyone who asked.

By the way, I have been recommending Avomine for a few years. On a recent cruise, a woman who I didn't remember stopped me in a corridor to thank me very much for recommending it on a cruise sometime in the past.

If you 'google' the ingredients of Dramamine, I think it is likely a similar product will be available in Australia.

On the other hand, most cruisers recommend 25mg Avomine. I buy mine at Chemist Warehouse - $9.60 for 30 tablets. Apparently it has the same ingredients as phenergan. This is what is recommended currently on cruise ships. It is an anti-histimine so can make a person a bit sleepy if they sit in a show or a movie, but not while you are walking around. I have just returned from a cruise to Antarctica. Travelling in a small ship, we were conscious of the movement. The tour company recommend the 25mg phenergan. One of the doctors was getting around the ship with a bumbag of tablets and was handing it out to anyone who asked.

By the way, I have been recommending Avomine for a few years. On a recent cruise, a woman who I didn't remember stopped me in a corridor to thank me very much for recommending it on a cruise sometime in the past.

Hi, thanks the quick response, my partner has tried Avomine, and it is our back up but it does knock her around a bit, but found Dramamine did not cause any side effects for her and felt 100% even in some very rough seas. We have also looked at some local "similar" ingredient products but found they did not work as well.

Cheers,

Steve

I too endorse Avomine. I am prone to sea sickness but the Avomine really helps. I take one every night before going to bed. It possibly helps me sleep too, not a bad thing! But doesn't affect me during the day at all.

Leigh

The active ingredient in Dramamine is Dimenhydrinate.

Here is some information about Dimenhydrinate. It is marketed under many brand names: in the USA, Mexico and Serbia as Dramamine, in Ukraine as Driminate, in India and Canada as Gravol, in Iceland as Gravamin, in Russia and Croatia as Dramina, in South Africa and Germany as Vomex, in Australia and Austria as Vertirosan, in Brazil as Dramin, in Ecuador as Anautin, in Hungary as Daedalon, in Sweden as Calma or Arlevert,in Indonesia as Antimo, in Italy as Xamamina or Valontan, in Peru as Gravicoll, in Poland and Slovakia as Aviomarin, in Portugal as Viabom, in Spain as Biodramina, in Thailand as ไดเมนนีน (Daimenin), and in Pakistan as Gravinate.

Many years ago I used Dramamine for a while. I stopped using it when on one occasion it induced such drownsiness that I literally could not stay awake during the day even though I was trying to force myself to. But everyone is different. Apparently it works well for the OP's partner.

Hi

We are heading off on a cruise in around 5 weeks (wahoo), on Explorer of the Seas, my partner does get sea sick at times and has found that dramamine motion sickness meds work best but these are not available in Australia, anyone know if these are available onboard in the gift shop as it can be purchased over the counter everywhere in the US.

Cheers,

Steve

stevelcqld

As an alternative your partner could try Bonine. You will be able to buy these from the gift shop on Explorer, I get seasick and have been using these for over 12 years now, whenever we Cruise. Tried Dramamine and nowhere near as good.

I take one a night just before going to bed and never a problem - or I think they can be taken if the Seas begin to get rough!

There are many threads on here discussing Bonine as well as Google. Research it to help make a decision ok?

Have a great cruise [emoji41]

Cheers, Rose

stevelcqld

As an alternative your partner could try Bonine. You will be able to buy these from the gift shop on Explorer, I get seasick and have been using these for over 12 years now, whenever we Cruise. Tried Dramamine and nowhere near as good.

I take one a night just before going to bed and never a problem - or I think they can be taken if the Seas begin to get rough!

There are many threads on here discussing Bonine as well as Google. Research it to help make a decision ok?

Have a great cruise [emoji41]

Cheers, Rose

I note that years ago Americans used to talk about Dramamine, but in recent years I have only heard them talk about Bonine. I have some, but haven't tried them yet.:)

They (Bonine) work a treat for me - a Bering Sea crossing to Petropavlovsk - in Russia on Silverseas’ Silvershadow was proof enough 🤢- still only one a night needed [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Try your chemist for Travacalm Original. Has the same active ingredient as Dramamine.

I used to use the 'proper' Travacalm and was still very sick after taking it on one cruise. I went to the medical centre and the nurse said they wouldn't give me the injection until I had some Avomine. I took one and within half an hour felt reasonably OK. Since then I stick with it.

Hi

Cheers,

Steve

You can buy Dramamine on e-bay. It is perfectly legal to do so. It's only illegal if you are buying commercial quantities. Be careful because they can charge the world for it. I have bought the generic brand

dimenhydrinate

sold by CVS. a large American pharmacy chain on ebay. Again make sure you look carefully because some people charge like wounded bulls . If that's what your wife likes get them don't let others talk you out of it.

I have also found Bonine that is sold on the cruise ships to be more effective than Avomine.

I don’t really get sick on cruise ships but the Bonine was put to the test when I was on a 44 ft catamaran in the Whitsundays with a two metre swell. Bonine was highly effective for both me and another person who was just about turning green.

The free motion sickness tablets handed out on Royal ships are excellent. I am very prone to motion sickness and with these I am fine with no drowsiness. No sickness at all even in 7mt swells heading to New Zealand. My husband says they work well for hangovers also. Every time I board a ship I go straight to medical and grab a handful.