Any Aussies done a cruise out of Shanghai?

DT1304

Hi all,

I am considering booking a back to back cruise on Quantum of the Seas out of Shanghai to Japan.

I am looking for information from any Aussies on here that have dome any cruises out of Shanghai to hear their thoughts.

From most of the reviews I am reading, I am a little reluctant at the thought of the fact that that my family of 7 will probably be the only "Westerners" or make up most of the "westerners" on the ship. The dining arrangements are different, the ifly etc are charged extras on Shanghai sailings, crew is mostly Chinese so language barrier etc.

Hi all,

I am considering booking a back to back cruise on Quantum of the Seas out of Shanghai to Japan.

I am looking for information from any Aussies on here that have dome any cruises out of Shanghai to hear their thoughts.

From most of the reviews I am reading, I am a little reluctant at the thought of the fact that that my family of 7 will probably be the only "Westerners" or make up most of the "westerners" on the ship. The dining arrangements are different, the ifly etc are charged extras on Shanghai sailings, crew is mostly Chinese so language barrier etc.

I've done one, and found it an experience. All up, I'm fine I did it - and love the ship. I also liked the non-Chinese ports that we got to visit. There are certainly differences, but the crew goes out of their way and the line have procedures to cater for foreigners, and they manage that well. For example, there's no effective language barrier as they have separate queues for foreigners and staff to focus on that (and that base crew have worked outside Asian itineraries so deliver similar service).

The only real negative I found was the buffet which I mostly avoided during the cruise. As long as you're happy eating in the restaurants I think it would go well.

You mention back to backs so is each covering different ports? Not sure I'd want the extended time in Shanghai, or to repeat the route/ports if they are similar.

You mention back to backs so is each covering different ports? Not sure I'd want the extended time in Shanghai, or to repeat the route/ports if they are similar.

I have chosen back to back cruises as they are both short cruises. The visit different ports.

Either in April, leaving shanghai, port Kagoshima, Japan, and back to Shanghai (4 nights) followed by Nagasaki Japan and Fukuoka Japan on another 4 night.

Alternatively in July, leaving Shanghai going to Nagasaki (4 nights) followed by Kyoto (Osaka) Japan, Kobe Japan and Tokyo Japan (7 nights)

We will not have a suite but are all Platinum C & A. Will that make any difference to the availability of Coastal Kitchen?

The cruises you mention would be an interesting experience. I understand that the Chinese regard these cruises as "shopping tours". On one cruise where very bad weather prevented them getting into their Japanese destinations, the passengers staged a rather extreme protest and refused to disembark at the end of the cruise.

I have chosen back to back cruises as they are both short cruises. The visit different ports.

Either in April, leaving shanghai, port Kagoshima, Japan, and back to Shanghai (4 nights) followed by Nagasaki Japan and Fukuoka Japan on another 4 night.

Alternatively in July, leaving Shanghai going to Nagasaki (4 nights) followed by Kyoto (Osaka) Japan, Kobe Japan and Tokyo Japan (7 nights)

We will not have a suite but are all Platinum C & A. Will that make any difference to the availability of Coastal Kitchen?

Although it won't make a major difference to the onboard experience - you'll still have the same inclusions, activities and so on - the second itinerary involving a 7 nighter will attract more international passengers than the other 4 nighters, which I'd expect based on historic numbers to be about 95% local market. You'll probably get around 15% international on the 7 nighter fwiw. However, April is a much better time of year to visit, climate wise, whereas you'll find it hotter and less comfortable in July.

While I recommend Coastal Kitchen, unfortunately you will need to be in a suite to have access to it.

We will be on Quantum of the Seas out of Shanghai in June as part of a trip we got great deal on which gives some days in China and then short cruise to Japan. So i too am interested in what the experience will be like with mainly Chinese clientele. I am aware that it will be different to sailing from Australia and know that there will be at least a group of non chinese as the tour of china we will be doing is with TA based here in australia. any info how the experience will differ would be much appreciated.

We will be on Quantum of the Seas out of Shanghai in June as part of a trip we got great deal on which gives some days in China and then short cruise to Japan. So i too am interested in what the experience will be like with mainly Chinese clientele. I am aware that it will be different to sailing from Australia and know that there will be at least a group of non chinese as the tour of china we will be doing is with TA based here in australia. any info how the experience will differ would be much appreciated.

just have a read of the Quantum reviews.. SHOCKED .. and whilst I've noted a few deals for Japanese cruises from China - I think I'll reconsider - given the number of chinese (yes - the cruise is based from there) and the overall general 'behaviors' as noted in the reviews.

We did Voyager from HK to Singapore a year or so ago - and the nationality mix was mainly Australian, English, American and to a lesser extent Asian.

How can one put it - if you reside near a heavily populated area in Australia with this nationality - you may 'have experienced' those behaviors, of jumping queues, of crowding, etc etc.

I agree with the previous post. I have been shocked at the reviews, and think that while I would love to go to those Japanese ports, I think there is a cruise out of Singapore to Hong Kong with an overnight in Bangkok and three Vietnamese ports on a 12 night on Explorer.

I went on Explorer 2 years ago and really enjoyed the ship so think I may change to that one.