Lima Overnight and Port Gates

koolforkatz

We will be on a Princess cruise in March that overnights in Lima. My husband and I are hoping to go out for dinner and do a private tour either before or after.

Does anyone have any idea what the port gates shut and also what time the cruise shuttle from ship to gate stops? In this case being Princess.

Many thanks!

This time last year the gates were open until late because the Princess shuttle from the Plaza San Miguel shopping plaza (many folks picked up private tours there) ran until 11 pm or so. I know our all day tour didn't end until 10 pm instead of 8 pm (traffic getting back from the Magic Water Fountains Show was horrible on a Thursday in the Christmas shopping season) and there was no concern about missing the shuttle. Regarding dinner - remember that the dinner hour starts much later in South America than in North America. If you are looking for an excursion company, I can recommend Haku Tours.

This time last year the gates were open until late because the Princess shuttle from the Plaza San Miguel shopping plaza (many folks picked up private tours there) ran until 11 pm or so. I know our all day tour didn't end until 10 pm instead of 8 pm (traffic getting back from the Magic Water Fountains Show was horrible on a Thursday in the Christmas shopping season) and there was no concern about missing the shuttle. Regarding dinner - remember that the dinner hour starts much later in South America than in North America. If you are looking for an excursion company, I can recommend Haku Tours.

Thank you so much - do you know what happens if they close the gates? Are you stranded? I would be curious what time the shuttle runs until but not sure if this information would be easy to find until we're on the ship.

It's the first time we've been overnight in a port where it doesn't appear we can come and go freely. Would love to do a later dinner, but it looks like it would be safer to do it earlier.

Thank you so much - do you know what happens if they close the gates? Are you stranded? I would be curious what time the shuttle runs until but not sure if this information would be easy to find until we're on the ship.

It's the first time we've been overnight in a port where it doesn't appear we can come and go freely. Would love to do a later dinner, but it looks like it would be safer to do it earlier.

I would suggest posting this question on the Princess board since the first cruise of the season with a stop in Lima should have happened this month. Maybe you will get lucky and someone on that cruise can give you an answer. You might also post on the roll call that first cruise of the season. I do remember that the ship is actually docked quite a ways from the gate so walking through the port wasn't an option.

I would suggest posting this question on the Princess board since the first cruise of the season with a stop in Lima should have happened this month. Maybe you will get lucky and someone on that cruise can give you an answer. You might also post on the roll call that first cruise of the season. I do remember that the ship is actually docked quite a ways from the gate so walking through the port wasn't an option.

Good suggestion - thank you.

The actual GATE/Turnstile is always closed, you're let IN/OUT if you have a Cruiseship ID on you. I came back very late and was shown thru. THEN a mini-van took me to the gangway. Not chaotic outside the Gate, but.... interesting. That's why so many Cruisers let the shuttle take them to the Central Fountain drop-off spot.

The actual GATE/Turnstile is always closed, you're let IN/OUT if you have a Cruiseship ID on you. I came back very late and was shown thru. THEN a mini-van took me to the gangway. Not chaotic outside the Gate, but.... interesting. That's why so many Cruisers let the shuttle take them to the Central Fountain drop-off spot.

Thank you for this. Sounds like we can come and go as we like then. I heard the gate area could be a bit sketchy but sounds like they have transport there to take you back to your ship late at night. I thought they must because crew would want to go out at night too. Thank you!

koolforkatz, Correct, within the fenced Pier area it is Industrial forklifts, machinery etc 24/7. Not allowed to walk from security Gate to the ship gangway, which may be 1/2mile depending on ship's berth. People on overnite Landtours were loaded onto large motorcoaches right at the gangway of course. City pickup point in downtown Lima is perhaps 10/miles away from general Pier area and THAT bus shuttle quit at about 11/pm if I recall.

koolforkatz, Correct, within the fenced Pier area it is Industrial forklifts, machinery etc 24/7. Not allowed to walk from security Gate to the ship gangway, which may be 1/2mile depending on ship's berth. People on overnite Landtours were loaded onto large motorcoaches right at the gangway of course. City pickup point in downtown Lima is perhaps 10/miles away from general Pier area and THAT bus shuttle quit at about 11/pm if I recall.

Okay, I wondered if the Princess shuttles would run all night or not. But it sounds like as long as you can get to the gate on your own you're good. Somebody else will drive you from gate to ship. I just really wanted to see if we were under some sort of curfew and had to be back at 11:00 or something, but it sounds like we are free to come and go all night. Thank you for this.

We just returned from 31 day SA cruise with overnight in Lima. The gangway was pulled up and the ship had to do some sort of maneuver, so there was no access to ship from 12-4am. Also, I would not depend on the port shuttle, many said they were few and far between, even causing a fight at one point when a private tour had returned and they had to wait for a bus for over an hour, when one came, there was a fight to get on because it was a small van. Another bus was sent, but after another long wait. It maybe better to take the mall shuttle, which are big buses, if you have a choice. You are not allowed to walk in this port at all.

Just some advice.

I would not take a taxi to or from the port.

I would arrange the private tour so that it includes dinner.

The area near the port is dangerous.

Also Lima is a beautiful city but you need to be careful there in terms of pickpockets.

I would do this as one package.

Keith

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I'm comfortable traveling in the unknown and know to leave the bling behind (not that I have any) I just want to make sure we can get back to the ship. We'd love to be able to make a dinner reservation for 8 or 9 but it might be wiser to make one for 7/7:30. Thanks everyone :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums