Local Cash in South East Asia

awestover89

We will be going on a cruise next month leaving from Singapore and visiting Malaysia, Vietnam, and Thailand (overnight)

Do any of these countries typically accept foreign (American) credit cards? For cash, assuming we are just doing self-guided city tours, how much should we have on hand? Since our time in port is limited (and Vietnam and Thailand the port is quite a ways away from the main city) I don't want to spend a lot of time hunting down an ATM or local currency exchange, so I'd like to have a best guess of how much cash to get before leaving the states.

Based on my research it seems like Singapore should be pretty good with accepting cards, Vietnam and Thailand seem like they're more cash centric, especially street food vendors which we'll definitely want to try.

There are quite a lot of similar questions - you can use the search function top right to look for your answers.

For me I would take US $ and change as you go. Even for Singapore if not intending a big buy.

MOney changers are everywhere and in Vietnam, on Princess, the came anboard at ports of call to provide exchange.

All the countries you are visiting will accept your cc cards except for a very low purchase of say street food.

Don.t get left with any Vietnamese dong - only good for wallpapering your dunny if you take it home.

Buying a bit of currency at home befor you leave too me is a expensive exercise and a waste of money

We will be going on a cruise next month leaving from Singapore and visiting Malaysia, Vietnam, and Thailand (overnight)

Do any of these countries typically accept foreign (American) credit cards? For cash, assuming we are just doing self-guided city tours, how much should we have on hand? Since our time in port is limited (and Vietnam and Thailand the port is quite a ways away from the main city) I don't want to spend a lot of time hunting down an ATM or local currency exchange, so I'd like to have a best guess of how much cash to get before leaving the states.

Based on my research it seems like Singapore should be pretty good with accepting cards, Vietnam and Thailand seem like they're more cash centric, especially street food vendors which we'll definitely want to try.

All countries take Credit Cards.

For cash I recommend local currency in Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia.

Vietnam welcome USA currency.

Go to your local USA bank as most of them will obtain local currency for you. You pay a little more but in the scheme of things it's not a lot of money.

If you plan to just shop at traditional stores then you might not need local currency. In our case we have including getting into some temples on our own in Thailand, shopping at small places such as in Little India in Singapore (some take Credit Card but others don't) taking the subway in Singapore, etc.

Keith

We were able to get local currency on the ship (Holland America and Celebrity) and in Singapore you might use an ATM at the airport when you arrive to get Singapore $.

You might also check youtube, the attached is one on Singapore

I strongly prefer having cash before we travel if at all possible (it looks like Vietnam won't be possible; can't find anybody stateside that has Dong available) When we did China and Japan the line for the ATM at the airport was insane, and the ports in Japan didn't have any ATMs nearby, and we took taxis from the port to the city, so we needed cash as soon as we got off the ship. I just feel way safer having cash on hand before we arrive.

I didn't even think of exchanging currency on the ship; it wasn't advertised at all that I noticed on our China/Japan cruise, nor on our Canada/New England cruise.

I strongly prefer having cash before we travel if at all possible

As do I; for the same reason.

I also like to get moving at a port, not waste time trying to change money.

However, if I was doing your itinerary this is what I do:

1. SGD: Have enough for the taxi and the first day.

2. When in Singapore find a licensed money changer and buy THB & MYR, enough to get by for at least a day.

Also buy more SGD at the same time.

3. If you need more THB or MYR when in country use an ATM as necessary;

4. Have small denomination, good condition USD notes initially for use in Vietnam.

If you wish, use a money changer to get some VND as and when needed.

I try to use local currency as much as possible, (if the locals want it); as I think it helps show respect for the country you are visiting.

Thanks for the advice. We are going to be in the following countries in April.

Malaysia

Thailand

Singapore

Vietnam

Hong Kong

South Korea

China.

I've ordered currency for all except Vietnam as it is not available. I just ordered a small amount for most except Hong Kong and China as we are spending multiple days in both those stops. Even with that I am just getting about $100 for those two.

Thanks for the advice. We are going to be in the following countries in April.

Malaysia

Thailand

Singapore

Vietnam

Hong Kong

South Korea

China.

I've ordered currency for all except Vietnam as it is not available. I just ordered a small amount for most except Hong Kong and China as we are spending multiple days in both those stops. Even with that I am just getting about $100 for those two.

We went to Vietnam last March. I was able to get Dong from Chase in 2 days. In reality, I think we would have been fine with credit cards and USD, but it was comforting to have local currency.