7 day Iconic Mediterranean currrent 2 for 1 deal

neverbetmets

First time cruiser here, did some research and decided on the 7 day iconic mediterranean, Barcelona to Rome in March for my very first cruise. The current deal on the Viking website is 2 for 1 which expires on 7/31. My question is, should I book this cruise now, or are these deals quite common? Also, should I book with Viking or find my own travel agent? Thanks in advance for any advice.

The two for one deal is always on the books and will not change even after July 31.

Where the prices differ on the monthly deals is in the price of the air fare and the airfare deal is only worth it if it beats any price you find on your own. So, shop the air fare on anyone of the booking website before you decide. Just remember that if you book your own airfare, you will also have to pay for transfers between ship and airport (easy and fairly inexpensive in Barcelona but more complicated in Civittavecchia).

Work with a travel agent. We are not permitted to make recommendations or name travel agents by name but try to find one that knows the cruise industry. I think there is a sticky at the top of this forum that talks about choosing a TA.

In any case, I think you have made an excellent choice for your first cruise--good cruise line and good itinerary.

Thank you for all the great tips. I was planning to arrive in Barcelona 2 or 3 days ahead of embarkment so I guess planning my own flight and hotel itinerary seems like the way to go. My next question is, should I look for a Viking certified TA that is local to me or can I work with one online just as well?

Thank you for all the great tips. I was planning to arrive in Barcelona 2 or 3 days ahead of embarkment so I guess planning my own flight and hotel itinerary seems like the way to go. My next question is, should I look for a Viking certified TA that is local to me or can I work with one online just as well?

Don't say no to Viking's air offer until you have done the math. In fact, you can accept the air deal and cancel it later (up to x many days before sailing) without any penalty, if you decide you can do better on your own.

As for choosing a TA, I found mine at a travel show. Her boss was manning the Celebrity booth and doing all the bookings at the show for Celebrity. She was his secretary and while he was technically my TA, she was the one I talked to and who managed our bookings. She became a TA in her own right and I have stuck with her. I have no idea if she is Viking certified, but she takes care of me. If you have friends who travel, ask them who they use.

Don't ask me the name of it, but there is a website that allows you to compare the prices offered by various travel agencies. I have seen it mentioned here on CC.

One last thing, when you book, push for them to change the pay in full date to 6 months before the cruise and not the "by the end of month" which is there standard verbiage.