Family of 7 traveling end of January

roperswifeme

My family will be traveling by air to New Orleans in January. Would like to stay near the port and the French Quarter. Can anyone tell me less expensive ways to go from airport to hotels in the above areas? I see not many hotels have shuttle service. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I have tried to edit my original post. I meant I do not see many hotels with shuttle service. I am so sorry for the error, I'm sure it really didn't make sense.

You will not find any hotels in the French Quarter or Central Business District (CBD) with a shuttle. The easiest way is to split the group into two cabs. Cabs from the airport to the FQ or CBD are $36 for 1 or 2 people OR $15/pp for 3 or more. Van cabs are generally available.

http://www.flymsy.com/groundtransportation

The MSY website also lists some shared van service. Not sure if 7 would be enough to get a private van, but it could be worth a phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I researched different options on getting around and found getting a taxi from the airport was the best option. We stayed at the Old No 77. Walking distance to the centre of town and to the pier. We travelled with a 10&7 year old and they managed the walking with a little suitcase without a problem. From leaving the hotel at 11am, we were on board at 11:50.

Great hotel with nice rooms and really comfy beds!

Unfortunalty, I have never done it, so I have no first hand experience. There are details about 2 buses on the MSY website (http://www.flymsy.com/groundtransportation).

In just glancing around, whether is is a good plan might depend on when you will be taking it. The JET bus, for example, does not go all the way downtown on the weekends or evenings.

My family will be traveling by air to New Orleans in January. Would like to stay near the port and the French Quarter. Can anyone tell me less expensive ways to go from airport to hotels in the above areas? I see not many hotels have shuttle service. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

You may check into uber or lyft to see if they're better than cabs but there are no cheap options I'm aware of. The hotels that I know of with shuttles charge more than cabs.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me about the express bus from the airport to down town area?

Warning that extensive construction on Bourbon street and others installing water pipes to replace 100+ year old pipes. Traffic of all kinds (foot/car/bus/ etc. Just can’t get into some blocks easily. Bus is the most limited as to streets they can use. Check with your hotel for specific information as situations change sometimes daily. Traffic — faster to walk!

Really hard to manage luggage. Cobblestones narrow streets no cutouts.