Uber vs Taxi from SYD

corakari

Yes, Uber is also a possibility at Sydney airports.

Just book and pay the same as you normally do; works the same as normal, and the wait should be very short since many travel to the airport (unless at some very quiet time).

I've caught the train lots of times on business trips and I think only once have I been on a service where a change at Central was needed.

The train is pretty fast and reasonably priced for one traveller. We're doing the trip in a week's time and I'll being using Uber Black rather than the train since for the four of us the higher price for the extra comfort becomes easier to justify compared to the train.

Thanks for the replies. We have never used Uber but thought we might take a look at using it in Sydney if it was a good alternative to the price of a taxi. We probably would not take the train - two of us with our luggage, very long flights from the US and being way off our time zone.

Make sure you download the Uber app before you leave and register your credit card also. We have used Uber here in Australia as well as in Europe and my sister has used Uber in the States and we love it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Make sure you download the Uber app before you leave and register your credit card also. We have used Uber here in Australia as well as in Europe and my sister has used Uber in the States and we love it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Will do, thanks!

Also, make sure the credit card you use to sign up with Uber has free foreign transactions fees. In foreign countries, Uber will charge in the local currency and then your credit card will impose a fee for the foreign currency use.

The Capitol One Credit card has no foreign transaction fee. I heard the new Costco Citibank Credit card also has no foreign transaction fee.

Some continue on the City Circle and thus no need to change even.

How long does the train run? We are arriving at 10:25pm. We are staying in the Rocks. We will be able to use the train? We can't use Uber. We are moving from Guam back to the mainland via the cruise ship. We won't get a phone until we get back to the mainland. I have never used Uber, not on Guam, but don't you need a phone for Uber to contact you?

...The Capitol One Credit card has no foreign transaction fee. I heard the new Costco Citibank Credit card also has no foreign transaction fee.

You had me excited for a minute. I have a Capital One CC for foreign travel and the Costco Citibank for all other purchases. Just checked the fine print on the Costco card and found the following "Fee for foreign purchases 3% of the US dollar amount of each purchase." Oh well, looks like I'll keep both cards :(

How long does the train run? We are arriving at 10:25pm. We are staying in the Rocks. We will be able to use the train? We can't use Uber. We are moving from Guam back to the mainland via the cruise ship. We won't get a phone until we get back to the mainland. I have never used Uber, not on Guam, but don't you need a phone for Uber to contact you?

This link should help

https://www.airportlink.com.au/trip-information/time-tables/

You had me excited for a minute. I have a Capital One CC for foreign travel and the Costco Citibank for all other purchases. Just checked the fine print on the Costco card and found the following "Fee for foreign purchases 3% of the US dollar amount of each purchase." Oh well, looks like I'll keep both cards :(

My mistake. It's the Chase Amazon Credit Card that has the no foreign transaction fees. Also the Capitol One cards, which I use often overseas.

• 9 months later...
Also, make sure the credit card you use to sign up with Uber has free foreign transactions fees. In foreign countries, Uber will charge in the local currency and then your credit card will impose a fee for the foreign currency use.

The Capitol One Credit card has no foreign transaction fee. I heard the new Costco Citibank Credit card also has no foreign transaction fee.

The Chase Amazon Prime has no foreign transaction fee, also. You need to be a prime member.