Is There Snorkeling in Darwin, Brisbane and Newcastle?

chem eng

My friend loves to snorkel and where to snorkel is obvious for Airlie Beach and Cairns. However my friend hates to miss an opportunity to snorkel whenever she is traveling. We will be going to the Darwin, Brisbane and Newcastle ports in Feb/March and I was wondering is there any snorkeling in these areas that are accessible on a shore excursion.

Thanks

Chris

My friend loves to snorkel and where to snorkel is obvious for Airlie Beach and Cairns. However my friend hates to miss an opportunity to snorkel whenever she is traveling. We will be going to the Darwin, Brisbane and Newcastle ports in Feb/March and I was wondering is there any snorkeling in these areas that are accessible on a shore excursion.

Thanks

Chris

She would be wise to give Darwin a miss as the Croc's love imported meat. Brisbane is a bit dodgy also no Croc's most of the time ,but the Noah's are a problem.

The beaches in Newcastle are absolutely beautiful but I've never snorkeled there. Most are too rough for snorkeling. Perhaps if you took a ship's tour to Port Stephens you could find somewhere. As others have mentioned definitely no snorkeling in Darwin on Brisbane.

The beaches in Newcastle are absolutely beautiful but I've never snorkeled there. Most are too rough for snorkeling. Perhaps if you took a ship's tour to Port Stephens you could find somewhere. As others have mentioned definitely no snorkeling in Darwin on Brisbane.

Yep, not exactly snorkelling in Newie, more surfing as you suggest maybe port Stephens or Lake Macquarie (both close by)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually there are Brisbane based snorkelling trips that leave from Raby Bay and sail over to Peel Island or North Stradbroke. I haven't been, but saw them on a TV programme last night. Looked wonderful but I don't think they would be suitable to do with just one day in port as it appeared they would be full day trips. I have googled the tour site but can't mention the operator here. If you google something like boat trips from Raby Bay you will come up with the tour operator.

Anyway you could check out the site - you never know.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the information. It really helps. Looks like Darwin is definitely out of the picture due to crocodiles and Brisbane due to sharks. What about Newcastle?

Darwin is a definite no-no.

Brisbane has no more sharks than anywhere else and the snorkeling is fine on the eastern side of Moreton Bay. The easiest access would be to the wrecks near Tangalooma, where there is a ferry that runs from Brisbane.

Newcastle, great beach, not much snorkeling. But if you happen to be in the area, Port Stephens is just up the road and is one of the underappreciated gems of the coast and has some nice snorkeling spots.